The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a fan of lg phones. I've owned both Nexus 4/5 and then the g4. Great camera. But the sudden bootloop issue really turned me off of lg phones. I never had any phone break on me and I just couldn't stomach paying lg to fix the g4 while I'm still paying it off. Oh well, I guess we all will throw our money elsewhere more worthy.

I also tried putting the phone in the oven. I used 250 degrees for 10 min. It booted up for the few seconds I needed to move the one file I needed off internal memory. I might try dissembling it in the future but for now, I just want to forget about it.

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
you should contact LG or your carrier. Lg is fixing this even if the phone is over one year old.

I tried, T-Mobile told me I should have paid for the extra insurance. LG wanted to charge for the repairs. Chalk it up to being unlucky I guess. Seems like lots of folk are unlucky with the g4, more than the usual manufacturing defect rate it seems. But that's just an opinion.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I tried, T-Mobile told me I should have paid for the extra insurance. LG wanted to charge for the repairs. Chalk it up to being unlucky I guess. Seems like lots of folk are unlucky with the g4, more than the usual manufacturing defect rate it seems. But that's just an opinion.

That sucks. My sister just called LG Canada and they fixed her phone for free even though it's 1 year warranty had ended.

FilmTraveler

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a G4 (VS-986) originally bought in June 2015 (and then replaced twice on the spot by Verizon when it broke on two different occasions, including another bootloop about a year ago).

I went to the LG website, looked up support, reported my purchase date, provided a PDF of my receipt, and picked one of the "Power" problems when asked what the issue was.

The website took my return immediately, gave me a prepaid shipping label, and LG fixed it in a week flat. (They replaced the mainboard; serial number is the same.) So I can confirm they are fixing phones with this problem regardless of warranty.

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site
My son's G4 bit the dust Wednesday. I'm currently on my third G4 and now his has finally died. TMo had me try a factory reset ( of course that didn't work) and since that didn't work, handed me off to customer service since I'm at 13 months with no insurance. They finally offered to "upgrade" me, meaning offering me a new phone at full price. We're looking for the receipt so we can contact LG directly. I'll probably buy something on Swappa, then LG and TMo won't make a dime on me. I'm tired of investing in new flagships each year. They are only interested in selling you their latest poor quality crap each year. No product recall, just eat the crap or pay for insurance. It's cheaper to just buy another depreciated ticking time bomb.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My son's G4 bit the dust Wednesday. I'm currently on my third G4 and now his has finally died. TMo had me try a factory reset ( of course that didn't work) and since that didn't work, handed me off to customer service since I'm at 13 months with no insurance. They finally offered to "upgrade" me, meaning offering me a new phone at full price. We're looking for the receipt so we can contact LG directly. I'll probably buy something on Swappa, then LG and TMo won't make a dime on me. I'm tired of investing in new flagships each year. They are only interested in selling you their latest poor quality crap each year. No product recall, just eat the crap or pay for insurance. It's cheaper to just buy another depreciated ticking time bomb.

Look around at some of the unlocked phones. Huawei honor 8 and the One plus 3 are a few of the phones that are supposed to be very good, and at half of the cost of the flagships such as Samsung and LG.

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
My international unlocked LG G4 H815 just got the LG Boot Logo loop. LG said they cannot repair the international version and requested I send in my broken bricked G4 and they will build me a carrier branded G4. They said I'll likely be charged a fee but they would need to see my bricked phone before they could give me a price of their replacement.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Look around at some of the unlocked phones. Huawei honor 8 and the One plus 3 are a few of the phones that are supposed to be very good, and at half of the cost of the flagships such as Samsung and LG.
I owned the G4. Two actually, after the boot loop. I currently own both the G5 and the Honor 8. I can say the display is a bit different, but the Honor 8 is every bit as great a device as the G5 and certainly better than the G4. The Kirin 950 is a hell of a chip. Both phones have 4 gigs of RAM which is a bonus. I recommend either device. Fantastic proformance.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second G4. Verizon said if it happens again they could get me into another phone. I hate that some of the cheap unlocked phones don't work on Verizon. But Verizon is the cheapest and most reliable service for my wife and I.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I owned the G4. Two actually, after the boot loop. I currently own both the G5 and the Honor 8. I can say the display is a bit different, but the Honor 8 is every bit as great a device as the G5 and certainly better than the G4. The Kirin 950 is a hell of a chip. Both phones have 4 gigs of RAM which is a bonus. I recommend either device. Fantastic proformance.

What did you mean that the display is quite a bit different? Just curious, as the Honor 8 is one of the phones that I am interested in. I do like the display on my G4. I like the size, but phone doesn't feel to big, and the crispness of the G4. Wondering how the Honor 8 display stacks up?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What did you mean that the display is quite a bit different? Just curious, as the Honor 8 is one of the phones that I am interested in. I do like the display on my G4. I like the size, but phone doesn't feel to big, and the crispness of the G4. Wondering how the Honor 8 display stacks up?
Not quite a bit. Just a little. The Honor 8 seems brighter while I feel the G4/G5 does colors more accurately. They're both good IMO. Also, the Honor 8 is a 1080p display.

Last edited:

sapstar

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi, LG has just repaired my LGH815 (506) which faced the bootloop issue. They replaced the main board. Does this guarantee that the bootloop issue is now resolved or it can happen again?

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site

They received the phone yesterday and have already processed, repaired and sent it back. They claimed to have replaced the flash memory. Not the mother board. This was the repair they did to mine, which still didn't work when I had sent mine in for repair. The surprising thing about this to me was my son's phone has cracks in the camera lens glass on the back. I thought they would deny repair, out of warranty, cracked lens, but they didn't mention it. Hopefully this fixes it.

clrdust

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got the Boot loop late last year which was past the warranty but i pay monthly for insurance so i didnt have to pay anything more. It is annoying as hell. Thats why no more LG for me ever. Going back to Samsung. I just hope not e8 comes out sooner than later

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So a couple weeks ago my phone boot looped so bad that within hours it was stuck on the lg logo and would hard lock when trying to do anything on the recovery screen. Verizon store wasn't going to have anything with it as it is now out of warranty but I found that LG would pay for shipping it in so I figured I had nothing to lose. They just turned it around and shipped it out without asking for anything so it looks like they fixed it out of warranty. I prolly won't find out what they did till I get the phone next week.

Edit: Their emails always seem to be 24 hours late. Second email they sent says they did a main board swap.They considered it in warranty, too.

Last edited:

sapstar

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
My repaired LG G4 came back last friday with a new main board. The serial number is now 610. What is the highest known serial number which has had bootloop issues?

Sad thing was that I sent an unlocked phone for repair and they sent me a carrier locked one. I have requested them to unlock which is not done after 3 working days yet.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
My repaired LG G4 came back last friday with a new main board. The serial number is now 610. What is the highest known serial number which has had bootloop issues?

Sad thing was that I sent an unlocked phone for repair and they sent me a carrier locked one. I have requested them to unlock which is not done after 3 working days yet.
My first G4 that bootlooped was a 610. So it wasn't immune from it. It lasted 9 months.

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site
They received the phone yesterday and have already processed, repaired and sent it back. They claimed to have replaced the flash memory. Not the mother board. This was the repair they did to mine, which still didn't work when I had sent mine in for repair. The surprising thing about this to me was my son's phone has cracks in the camera lens glass on the back. I thought they would deny repair, out of warranty, cracked lens, but they didn't mention it. Hopefully this fixes it.

Further update: Just received the phone this morning. They also seem to have replaced the cracked camera lens. We haven't booted it up yet to test it. There was no charge for this repair at all. Pretty amazing. I've always wondered if they had a pile of phones sitting there and just printed a new label with the original IMEI information and put it in the slot instead of really repairing them?

Update: Everything is up and running.

Last edited: