Benefits of a dual camera?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Still love what my g4 camera is capable of. Hands down my favorite camera of all the phones I've owned. The rumored/pretty much confirmed g5 is going to have a dual camera on the back, so my question is what does a dual camera accomplish? Is this a step forward in the camera department?

When the g4 was getting pre-release hype, the focus def was on the camera quality. The g5 doesn't seem to be giving off that same buzz as of yet. So ive been curious what difference a dual camera makes, or if it is just a passing gimmick.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. depends on what the dual camera is being used for.... HTC did a dual camera, to allow selectable focus and bokeh effects. The problem with that is it is a limited application (and in the case of bokeh, can be replicated via software). It's wasn't really something people had such huge demand for.

Another application, one that I think might garnish a bit more interest, is true optical zoom, noise reduction and increased low-light capabilities. Phones have extremely tight packaging demands, so a large sensor fronted by a big lens isn't exactly the most attractive option. But a lot of the benefits can be had if a system can be designed around two (or more) compact sensor/lens systems. It's the same concept that astronomers use for VLA telescope systems.... string a bunch of smaller telescopes together and you end up with the equivalent of a massive single telescope.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
That whole "gimmick" angle really has me wondering if the g5 is even going to be an improvement, or even worse, a step back from the g4 camera

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think LG is looking to improve the camera quality, not add gimmicks. I'm fairly confident it'll be better, but incrementally so. It's not like the current cameras are lacking.

Posted via the Android Central App

DCTF

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Check out a video review for the Honor 6 Plus and you'll see how it works. You can get great HDR effects, post-processing refocus etc.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma