Still love what my g4 camera is capable of. Hands down my favorite camera of all the phones I've owned. The rumored/pretty much confirmed g5 is going to have a dual camera on the back, so my question is what does a dual camera accomplish? Is this a step forward in the camera department?

When the g4 was getting pre-release hype, the focus def was on the camera quality. The g5 doesn't seem to be giving off that same buzz as of yet. So ive been curious what difference a dual camera makes, or if it is just a passing gimmick.
    01-26-2016 09:41 AM
    Well.. depends on what the dual camera is being used for.... HTC did a dual camera, to allow selectable focus and bokeh effects. The problem with that is it is a limited application (and in the case of bokeh, can be replicated via software). It's wasn't really something people had such huge demand for.

Another application, one that I think might garnish a bit more interest, is true optical zoom, noise reduction and increased low-light capabilities. Phones have extremely tight packaging demands, so a large sensor fronted by a big lens isn't exactly the most attractive option. But a lot of the benefits can be had if a system can be designed around two (or more) compact sensor/lens systems. It's the same concept that astronomers use for VLA telescope systems.... string a bunch of smaller telescopes together and you end up with the equivalent of a massive single telescope.
    01-26-2016 09:57 AM
    3D imagery?

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-26-2016 01:08 PM
    3D imagery?
    I sort of put 3D imaging in the 'gimmick' category. I mean, my kids' Nintendo 3DS have dual cameras that can take 3D photos... they are absolute trash cameras, but they do 3D.
    Laura Knotek and KPMcClave like this.
    01-26-2016 01:36 PM
    That whole "gimmick" angle really has me wondering if the g5 is even going to be an improvement, or even worse, a step back from the g4 camera
    01-27-2016 01:09 AM
    I think LG is looking to improve the camera quality, not add gimmicks. I'm fairly confident it'll be better, but incrementally so. It's not like the current cameras are lacking.

Posted via the Android Central App
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-27-2016 06:52 AM
    Check out a video review for the Honor 6 Plus and you'll see how it works. You can get great HDR effects, post-processing refocus etc.
    01-27-2016 09:03 AM