What other phone did you consider...

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
... before you chose the G4?

Just curious. I was more than happy with my G3 last May. The G4 was a huge bonus for me. Still love this thing. The speed and size. The graphics when playing Marvel Future Fight and NFS Underground. The camera bested the G3 and always love the battery swap to continue gaming!

If it was today I'd highly consider the Nexus 5P, but no reason to upgrade yet, not even for the V10.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V10 was the only other one I considered, but the deciding factor was I got paid $50 to rake a new G4. I did briefly look at other phones, but they all had things I didn't like or give versa for me to truly consider them.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The G4 promised to be the G3, but improved in all respects, so as a G3 owner I was easily persuaded.

I seem to recall when this forum was started, a number of G3 owners recognising one another here. Since the G5 is almost upon us, history may repeat itself. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I was looking at the S6 but felt that Samsung went backwards and tried to convince us that they were actually moving forward by eliminating the SD card and replaceable battery.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Was using a first gen Moto X and had been pleased until recently with it. I had looked at the new Moto X but after what has happened with Lenovo failing miserably with proper os updates I was kinda soured on going back. The M9 would have been what i'd have taken but for the cluster F That is HTC and keeping a stale design. I liked what I saw with the G4, especially the removable battery and sd card support. The kicker was the camera so I jumped ship and am enjoying immensely everything that the G4 has.

DJCBS

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I only considered the S6Edge alongside the G4.
And that's only because it's the only other phone with a camera almost as good. The camera was really the only reason I ditched my Z3 Compact. If the Z5 Compact hadn't been yet another updated Z3C with still a horrible camera, I would have bought it.

In the end, I opted for the G4 over the (I admit, prettier emerald green) S6Edge for a couple of reasons:
1 - No true manual camera controls.
2 - No microSD expansion which would force me to buy the 128GB version...which leads me to
3 - Price. I got the G4 for 395€, new. The S6E128 would cost me more than twice that.
4 - Battery life reports are horrible. I was coming from a Z3C which lasted me for 2 days. The S6E doesn't last a day. That's too much of a hit.
5 - I infinitely trust LG more than I trust Samsung. My TVs are LG, my monitor is LG, even my air conditioner is LG. So I'm very familiar with their quality which is extremely good. Samsung on the other hand...

I don't regret buying the G4. I absolutely hate its size, but I put up with it for the camera. Much like I put up with the protruding censor on the Nokia 1020 for the same reason. But if LG launched a proper G4 Compact (4.7"-5" tops), in line with Sony's Compact line spirit, I would buy it in the blink of an eye.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One M9 before my disappointment at the unveiling, and the Galaxy Note 4.

I got the G4 because it offered a stunning camera and also expandable storage and a removable battery along with solid hardware. It was a gigantic step up from my old HTC One M7 and its purple camera.

I would have considered the Note 4 too because it offers pretty much the same thing as the G4, but I want the latest and greatest.

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
None...for me the G4 was the only option...and finally 8 months later proves to be the best decision made

Posted from my LG G4

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I also had no real options other than the G4. It was on my radar for months before release and I owned two LG devices prior. This time I'm keeping my options open. Looking at the G5, new offerings from HTC and I'm still looking and the Nexus 5X. Kinda curious about Chinese manufacture's making their way to the states and Nextbit.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I find it interesting that many people feel like they had no other option in a smartphone market saturated with phones that are designed around fundamentally identical hardware. (I agree, btw.) It's obviously difficult to stand out in a market full of 'samey' devices, and that also means lots of 'good' or 'excellent' devices may not sell well not 'on merit' but because brand x is being poo-pooed by influencers or brand y is being perceived as playing second fiddle. LG are like the Saab of smartphones aren't they — they are definitely hitting all the right notes for some people but not for others. Those who chose this phone chose it for a reason. Let's see what they have up their sleeve next.

Last edited:

CellTheUltimateAndroid

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
The phones I considered:
Galaxy s6- Honestly the I preferred the design of it in store and the screen imo looked better than the g4. Also the video capabilities of the s6 looked better than the g4. However, it had no removable battery and no SD card as well as being £30 more expensive.
The nail in the coffin was the ram management rumours as well as bad touchwiz optimisation and rumours of poor battery

2. Moto x style/pure- I'm still unsure whether I shouldve chose this or the g4. X style has stock android which I value and apparently the screen is slightly better on the x pure. Also it had quick charge and an SD card slot. However, I eventually opted for the g4 due to me not trusting lenovo and also the better camera and removable battery.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was also happy with my G3 EXCEPT for the damn aux jack cutting in and out and launching LG's voice command feature randomly from time to time....that was annoying! I was bestowed with a G4 and haven't looked back! Hell....I switched carriers (Sprint to TMO) thanks to the G4!! Its been running excellent for me and def an improvement over the G3. I wasn't interested in anything else for obvious reasons......**coughsdslotrembatcough**........

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My G4 is still running smooth. Had a reception issue over the weekend where it kept switching from 4G and H with 1 bar but turns out it was a busted at&t tower. Back to 4 bars of LTE! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy