LG G4 Camera

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
As we all know the LG G4 has a 16MP rear facing camera, and a 8MP front facing camera.

I'm using Google Photos and when I take a photo with the front facing camera, and click on photo info it shows the photo as 6MP. Why is this? It always shows the front photos as 16MP.

One one occasion it said a selfie I took was only 4MP. I'm guessing it depends on the conditions, but I am yet to take a selfie that Google Photos says is 8MP.

Yes, there is a possibility G Photos is showing wrong info, but at the moment that's all I have to go with as the stock gallery app does not provide that info. I am also using the Piktures app, and that also does not show megapixel info.

Any ideas?

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
when you first setup Google Photos you had the option to save in Full Resolution (limited storage more pixels) or High Quality (unlimited storage less pixels). You can change this in the settings menu

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
when you first setup Google Photos you had the option to save in Full Resolution (limited storage more pixels) or High Quality (unlimited storage less pixels). You can change this in the settings menu
Yes, I chose the unlimited storage. But, if that is the case why is the front camera still showing 16MP?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just checked it out with a selfie using the stock camera app. When you go into the stock gallery app, it doesn't show the MP, but it does give you the resolution. It's coming up as 3264 X 1836, which puts it right at 6MP. I don't take selfies, so it doesn't bother me, but it does appear the sensor is only a 6MP resolution and it's nothing to do with Google Photos.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I just checked it out with a selfie using the stock camera app. When you go into the stock gallery app, it doesn't show the MP, but it does give you the resolution. It's coming up as 3264 X 1836, which puts it right at 6MP. I don't take selfies, so it doesn't bother me, but it does appear the sensor is only a 6MP resolution and it's nothing to do with Google Photos.
False advertising from LG perhaps?

Inspgadget113

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

I believe it will save photos up to 16mp without compression. If this is the case it would not effect the front camera.

Posted via the Android Central App

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It actually has to do with the aspect ratio you're shooting at... It's a round sensor, but a rectangular frame. Change your ratio to 4:3 in the settings and you'll see 8mp. And see different MPs for the different available ratios

There are some explanations out there if you search... I don't have any links handy....Mine is overly simplified, but the gist of it...

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It actually has to do with the aspect ratio you're shooting at... It's a round sensor, but a rectangular frame. Change your ratio to 4:3 in the settings and you'll see 8mp. And see different MPs for the different available ratios

There are some explanations out there if you search... I don't have any links handy....Mine is overly simplified, but the gist of it...

You're right! Changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 ups the front cam photos to 8MP.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
You're right! Changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 ups the front cam photos to 8MP.

Here's a link with a nice visual explanation I found this morning. As he says as the end of that article (the Nokia info in the 2nd half isn't necessary to read), the important thing to remember is that the quality is the same regardless of aspect ratio. Don't fret over the MP.

How to: understand camera phone megapixel resolutions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37