annoying spam calls ... how to block them?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You can use a 3rd party app from the play store. There are a few. I'd look at the reviews and use whatever you think is best :).

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
it is something my wife's iPhone has that is simple to use and built into iOS. Guess us android folks need a app to do it :(

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I use a free app called sync.me not only does it sync all my social media contacts (and will combine duplicates if you want it to) but has an excellent built in feature for blocking unwanted calls. It has a continually updated database and you have the ability to manually block calls as well and add them to the database. Its reduced my spam calls by more than 90% and I can see a notification of the calls that have been blocked.

Works great and its free.

David

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused by the above responses as I don't need an app to block numbers as it's built in to the OS (though I will admit, having a ready-made database as suggested by David, sounds appealing). I'll admit it took me a little time to get my head around it as, coming from a Windows Phone, it's very unintuitive & uses odd terminology (call reject rather than block) but my phone now has a nice long list of blocked (rejected) numbers.

DCTF

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm confused by the above responses as I don't need an app to block numbers as it's built in to the OS (though I will admit, having a ready-made database as suggested by David, sounds appealing). I'll admit it took me a little time to get my head around it as, coming from a Windows Phone, it's very unintuitive & uses odd terminology (call reject rather than block) but my phone now has a nice long list of blocked (rejected) numbers.

Aha! Settings > Call > Call Reject! Thank you, I did not know this. I'm loving Drupe as a replacement for Phone and a number of other functions, but as far as I can tell it can't block calls. This helps!

Hindude

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
From what I can see, if you've been sent a spam text, touch text for 1-1/2 seconds. Pop up window asks if you want to register it as a spam number.
Not sure if it works on actual calls or missed calls from numbers that you cannot identify.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Get True Caller... blocks and reports to others the number so it will come up as spam for them. It also gives you caller ID for any numbers that are not in your contacts list and then allows you to look them up on the internet if the app couldn't find it initially.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I've used Mr. Number for awhile now and it does the job once a number is recognized as spam. But the problem I'm having now is that Verizon's caller ID pops up a box over the answer or reject buttons that I have to clear first THEN reject the call. It does that for any call coming in even if it's a number I recognize. I'm probably getting charged for it too. But the numbers that come in that aren't actual 10 digit phone numbers like 043, 59, 23789 for example, you can't block with an app. I have to make them a contact labeled SPAM and then direct all calls to that contact to go to voice mail. I learned that tip from one of the posters in this forum.

blockcallsnow

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Everyone has provided great advice in regards to blocking calls using an app or the built in features. But here's my advice: Get on the National Do Not Call Registry. Add your phone number and they will circulate your phone number as a number to not call. If they do call you can file a formal complaint that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) will follow up on and take action against these scam callers. If you want to know how to get on the list, read how here: How To Add Yourself To The Do Not Call Registry - Block Calls Now

blockcallsnow

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Look for a vertical three dot symbol or a "more" option on the top right part of your call screen it should then say block/unblock number, add to reject list, or add to block list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC