Verizon 6.0 Update thoughts

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So far, the biggest change I've noticed is that Wifi calling is now enabled.
Looks like the System Tuner was disabled, no surprise there.
Ringtone and notification volumes are still (*&#@%^$%!!!) unlinked.
The Audible app was added (and just as quickly disabled!)

Last edited:

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon did it to me again. They keep leaving out features that I really wanted. This time, with MM, they left out the option to use Flex Storage.

Even4steven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Is the update forced? I want to hold off if I can. I have always had headaches updating the OS, an never though it was worth it.

Earle Stramoski

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
LG G3 in NC. Received OTA update yesterday. Everything seems smoother without a lag. I reviewed phone settings and no real surprises found. Otherwise I'm still exploring phone for any changes. BTW, I anticipate increased battery usage for a while. If it doesn't improve, I'll post later.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Installed it yesterday afternoon and I've noticed that the 4GLTE is lit back up when on WiFi again and the up/down arrows light up every now and again.

Liked it better when it was off when WiFi was on... now I'm not sure if it's still trying to use data while on WiFi.

As of this morning I'm still seeing data and WiFi run at the same time.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone else have a constant Location Found notification even though Location Services are turned off?

I have location services on and high accuracy. I see the location found less often now. It just popped up and went away quickly - usually it's on for a minute or so. Now it looks like just a matter of seconds.

This is good news.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have a constant Location Found notification even though Location Services are turned off?

Yes. It might be related to Google Maps. Turn your location on, open Maps and hit the location button on the screen to pinpoint it. You may see a tutorial message so tap Got It. Then close Maps and turn off location. My ghost location icon stopped so far after doing that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is the update forced? I want to hold off if I can. I have always had headaches updating the OS, an never though it was worth it.

Go to the app manager and swipe to the ALL tab. Scroll down and look for the two System Updates apps. One will show taking up zero space. Disable that one (the other that's taking some space can't be disabled), and you're done. The phone won't look for updates now. Enable again if you ever decide to update.

Neera42

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Updated to MM yesterday, found a few quirks so far.

I have my Play Store set to "Do not auto-update apps" since I like to manually control which apps to update. Now all the sudden when trying to update, some apps stall with "waiting for Wi-Fi".
Play Store 6.0.5

I listen to music over Bluetooth in my car (via Tasker), it still works like a charm except that the Play Music app doesn't exit anymore. It quits playing music yes, but stays in the notification shade & bar.
Even after clearing it out of the recent app list it stays in the shade and can't be swiped away, nor is there an "X" to exit the app.

Last quirk:
Auto brightness - I set it for a certain base level, let's say 40%, but when it adjusts to lighting conditions the slider changes also and I may end up @ 80% or 20% brightness.

HaboobZ

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Updated to MM yesterday, found a few quirks so far.

I have my Play Store set to "Do not auto-update apps" since I like to manually control which apps to update. Now all the sudden when trying to update, some apps stall with "waiting for Wi-Fi".
Play Store 6.0.5

I listen to music over Bluetooth in my car (via Tasker), it still works like a charm except that the Play Music app doesn't exit anymore. It quits playing music yes, but stays in the notification shade & bar.
Even after clearing it out of the recent app list it stays in the shade and can't be swiped away, nor is there an "X" to exit the app.

Last quirk:
Auto brightness - I set it for a certain base level, let's say 40%, but when it adjusts to lighting conditions the slider changes also and I may end up @ 80% or 20% brightness.

Yeah, now the slider moves w/auto on. If you uncheck it, it stays where the last setting was. That kind of stinks. Liked it when it stayed at my preset of 80-ish % for when I needed to view a bright screen.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Haven't explored the new features in-depth, but my G4 does seem appropriately snappy. The auto bright (finally) seems to be on par with the competition. I do like the new application manager format. Also, it indicates when the phone is fast charging.

I also did a FDR and data restore immediately after installing MM. From what I've seen over the years, this can help your device get the most out of a new version of Android.

Last edited: