White square in notification bar

A

AC Question

I have an LG G4 with verizon. Ever since the marshmallow update there is a white square in the top left corner of my notification bar and it won't go away. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forums! Could you post a screenshot so we can have a better idea of what's going on? Just in case, check your accessibility settings and see if any option is enabled. Also, do you use Facebook Messenger?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure how to post a screenshot from the browser unless you use the desktop version. I think it can't be done.

By the way, do you get more information about that icon if you expand the notification shade?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I've found some reports about this same issue, but none offered an explanation for that icon. You could try clearing cached data in the storage settings, restart the phone and see if it makes a difference.

There's a trick to access the notification log, but it doesn't work with the G4 stock launcher, so you'd need a custom one. Not sure if you fancy this :)

BRE62A6428

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Lol, finally figured it out! I did clear my cache and restart my phone. It went away for a little while but came back. I guess it's just more an annoyance than anything. Could be worse

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 17205.jpg
    17205.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 130

BRE62A6428

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I uninstalled my necn weather app and the square is gone. Hopefully it stays gone. I think for some reason the temperature info it provides on my notification bar couldn't display properly so it showed as a white square for some reason. Thanks for all your help!

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled my necn weather app and the square is gone. Hopefully it stays gone. I think for some reason the temperature info it provides on my notification bar couldn't display properly so it showed as a white square for some reason. Thanks for all your help!

If you like the weather app, you can always turn off the weather notification.

PurviShah

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I have this same problem and I don't have the weather app you mentioned. I cleared my cache and restarted my phone as well, but I still have the square (as you can see). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 38894.jpg
    38894.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 68

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Search for any app that hasn't been updated for a long time. Maybe it's just a problem with apps not being optimised for Marshmallow.

Christa Piper

Aug 7, 2017
Visit site
I have encountered this problem twice with my LGg4. A mysterious solid white square appears in the notification area at the top left of the screen, yet when I pull down the notification bar, there is nothing there except a weather notification. I had downloaded a local weather app, that corresponded with my local NBC news app. For some reason that app added a weather reminder to the notification pull-down menu. Turning off notifications for this weather app in the "settings- application manager" tab did not help. I manually opened the weather application and went to settings from there and turned off "notifications bar alert" or something like that, and magically, the white box disappeared!! Hope this helps someone...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech