Verizon LG G4 (VS986) question

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I could have sworn that I used to be able to be on the phone and still receive text and able to use data. Recently, even before the Lollipop update I noticed that if I was on a phone call I could not browse the internet or texts would not come through until I hung up. Is this normal or is something wrong with my phone? Maybe I am just remembering what it was like on my LG G3 but I really thought I could before probably 2 months ago.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
you can if you have Advanced Calling (VoLTE) turned on

This, but if you get outside an LTE signal, that will go away. In older phones, there were two radios. One for voice, one for data. This is what allowed you to talk and surf at the same time, because you had a separate radio for each type of signal.

In the G4 and most newer phones, there's only one radio. Using traditional methods, it can only do talk or data. With LTE and advanced calling, the call is handled as a mobile data stream, similar to using an app like Skype to make a VOIP call. Since the call is acting as mobile data, the radio stays in data mode and can keep transmitting your internet stuff.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This, but if you get outside an LTE signal, that will go away. In older phones, there were two radios. One for voice, one for data. This is what allowed you to talk and surf at the same time, because you had a separate radio for each type of signal.

In the G4 and most newer phones, there's only one radio. Using traditional methods, it can only do talk or data. With LTE and advanced calling, the call is handled as a mobile data stream, similar to using an app like Skype to make a VOIP call. Since the call is acting as mobile data, the radio stays in data mode and can keep transmitting your internet stuff.

How about the new ability for WiFi Calling? Does that add to or interfere with any of the simultaneous call and data functionality?

I don't even care for myself, given how few calls I make these days, but figure the info may be of interest to a lot of folks.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't say for sure because I haven't looked into or activated Wi-Fi calling. My guess is that since Wi-Fi only handles data, then it should handle both (though not sure how it'd affect bandwidth).