From a 4 to a 7

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, I bit the bullet. Yesterday (Friday) my new Galaxy S7 Edge arrived.

I haven't had any prior Galaxy S or Note handsets, and haven't wanted any of them even a little bit. This time, they got me. Oh, sure, it's shiny...that never hurts...but my reasons for leaving the G4 are several.

I got an upper level point and shoot camera (an Olympus Stylus 1). While I will still always want a really good camera on my phone, the desire to take pics of our daughter playing hoops is no longer handled (to a mediocre degree) by the G4's camera. It was the camera, above all else, that made me get the G4 to begin with. In particular, the manual controls.

The G4 battery drove me nuts. I can tell in less than a day's use of the S7E that I should be much happier with the battery on it than I was with the G4. It isn't only overall life and SoT, but the fact that I always felt something just wasn't right...never fully optimized...with the G4 battery. The way it drained...super slowly at first, and then jumping from 3-something percent per hour to 6-something percent per hour just sitting there...was always cause for frustration. Watching the S7E drain not only more slowly, but more evenly, seems "right."

Finally, given that my G4 refurb is a 507 serial #, I have zero confidence that it isn't going to also bootloop like my original 505 did. It's run just fine since I got it in mid-January, but then so had my original G4 from June to January. Until it didn't. Maybe they fixed that very problem on my refurb...or maybe somebody traded in their G4 for another reason entirely.

One thing I'll say is that, for me, the G4 feels better in hand than the S7E. I know that's not what you've likely been hearing. I have large hands, and the G4 being wider actually makes it fit more comfortably. I also like the less tall and skinny look of the G4. I thought pics of the Galaxy 6 and Note lines from last year looked really weird. I'd thought that about the HTC 8 and 9, too, but when I held HTCs in the store, they were fine in person. The S7E is too tall and thin looking in person. I do love having an AMOLED screen again, though. That contrast just cant be beat, and oh, the blacks!

Anyway, thanks for the hang these past 9 months or so. G4 owners are a good group of folks.

Last edited:

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Good luck! You put in the time to get the G4 to operate properly and now moved on. I'm done with the phone too...I'll move to the S7 at some point.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Good luck! You put in the time to get the G4 to operate properly and now moved on. I'm done with the phone too...I'll move to the S7 at some point.

Thanks. Good luck to you as well. Let me know if my head start on the S7E can be of assistance to you.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not going to lie, I'm real disillusioned with my experience regarding the LG G4 as of late. It'll take some real convincing for me to stay with LG for my next phone (whenever that may be). It's not unthinkable that I may even go back to the iPhone (which I haven't used since September 2011. This phone does some impressive things, but I could almost believe it often generates enough heat to propel a turbine. Please, LG, Android, and VzW make things right!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Not going to lie, I'm real disillusioned with my experience regarding the LG G4 as of late. It'll take some real convincing for me to stay with LG for my next phone (whenever that may be). It's not unthinkable that I may even go back to the iPhone (which I haven't used since September 2011.

Gotta be honest, after reading about all the bootloop issues, and all my issues with the phone I did let the iPhone thing creep into my thoughts. Don't think I can do it and will most likely go to the S7, but I can't say it's not like I didn't give the iPhone a thought. After attempting to corral MM the past few weeks (shout out to Tourbound) it died on me during the work day at 3:00pm and I had hardly even used it. Then the next day I get average (at best) longevity out of it. Not sure what I'm getting with this phone anymore.

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my LG G4 (510 serial number), don't have any bugs and since I bought the extra original battery I use the phone with no restrictions. But I really like the Galaxy 7 Edge and it will probably be my next phone at the end of this year.
Do you have any problem with the "edge" part of the screen? I mean, unwanted taps or something like that?

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The S7 Edge is a very nice phone and for most the battery life is stellar! I can afford it but wouldn't get one due to the price. I'm not going to spend $800 for a phone.

Congrats on your new phone. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my LG G4 (510 serial number), don't have any bugs and since I bought the extra original battery I use the phone with no restrictions. But I really like the Galaxy 7 Edge and it will probably be my next phone at the end of this year.
Do you have any problem with the "edge" part of the screen? I mean, unwanted taps or something like that?

I'm not entirely sure to tell what serial number I was sent with the failed replacement I got on Friday from Asurion. Could someone help me out, here? The label is different from the new one I got back in June, and this one was refurbished. Hoping that the one I get tomorrow will do the job within reason.

In fact, the only good things that happened with this unfortunate Asurion experience, is I've embraced Google Messenger and will have four total OEM batteries now. The stock LG messenger is unacceptably lackluster and sluggish. I stubbornly tried pressing on with it since Day One. No longer.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The S7e is obviously a device of the highest quality but I do wish that Samsung would make their Home buttons customisable, like LG. Are you having to get used to going bottom right for Back, or were you using that layout on your G4?

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I've had some unwanted taps, yes. A case seems to help greatly with that, though. I have 3 cases already (LOL) and even the slimmest of them is enough to keep the inadvertent touches at bay, it seems.

The S7E seems very uncomfortable for me without a case. Not just because it's slippery, but also because it's so slim (side to side). The materials feel nice and all, but it takes a rather conscious effort to hold it when it's nekkid. That's a combo of not wanting to have the thing fling across the room, and not wanting to touch the screen edge by mistake.

The Edge feature itself I've turned off. Not really enough value added for me.

~Kevin

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure to tell what serial number I was sent with the failed replacement I got on Friday from Asurion. Could someone help me out, here? The label is different from the new one I got back in June, and this one was refurbished. Hoping that the one I get tomorrow will do the job within reason.

Your serial # is on the sticker under the battery. It will start with a 5 or 6, in this format:505 = May 2015, 510 = October 2015, 602 = February 2016, etc.

My original G4, purchased in June, was manufactured in May (505... serial #). My refurb came with a 507... (July).

~Kevin

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The S7e is obviously a device of the highest quality but I do wish that Samsung would make their Home buttons customisable, like LG. Are you having to get used to going bottom right for Back, or were you using that layout on your G4?

Yeah, muscle memory is a tricky thing. The funny part is, when going back to my G4 for various things during setup of the S7E, I was already hitting the right button for Back. I wasn't using the Samsung style button layout on the G4.

Yet, on the S7E I'm still hitting the wrong buttons pretty routinely.

I guess I'm just lost. Heh.

Agreed it would be nice to be able to customize this.

~Kevin

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Your serial # is on the sticker under the battery. It will start with a 5 or 6, in this format:505 = May 2015, 510 = October 2015, 602 = February 2016, etc.

My original G4, purchased in June, was manufactured in May (505... serial #). My refurb came with a 507... (July).

~Kevin

Yeah, the refurb they sent me just has the IMEI but not the S/N. The info on the label is as follows: Model, FCC ID, IMEI, and refurbish date (03/09/2016). It seems like Asurion totally left off any indication of the proper S/N, both on the box and phone labels.

Is there a code I can dial in to find out the S/N?

Update: just had the next replacement delivered from Asurion. Like the other, this has no S/N on its label. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Check back with us once in a while and tell us how you're enjoying the Samsung experience.

After around 10 days or so, the S7E has been enjoyable to use by and large.

As I have with pretty much all my phones, I've turned off a lot of the OEM "features". While I got the Edge, I turned off the Edge feature, for example. In that case I could see myself perhaps using it at some point, but also could see myself never using it. I picked the Edge version of the S7 for the bigger battery. I don't turn stuff off only to save battery, but if I have little to no use for the feature.

Despite loving Moto's take on an Always On Display feature, Samsung's is a big meh. Samsung apps only show, and you can't interact with them. I turned off this feature. Could definitely see myself using it if it gets beefed up. Motorola is the gold standard on this.

Battery life is better than on the G4. GSam shows me at 18 H 0 M on a full charge, with 7 H 58 M SoT.. I was getting somewhere between 14-15 H overall with just over 5 H SoT with the G4, as I recall.

By and large the phone is doing what I want it to. I love having an AMOLED screen again. The extra battery is a big plus. I actually prefer the feel of the G4 in hand. No regrets.