G4 Bootloop poll

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The only takeaway from such a poll is possibly the relative failure rate among 505, 506, 507...
Most people will only respond if there's a problem. Only LG or the carriers know what % of G4's went bad or will go into bootloop.
My speculation - the majority (greater than 50%) of the SN 505, 506, and 507 won't get bootloop every. Of course I might be wrong.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The only takeaway from such a poll is possibly the relative failure rate among 505, 506, 507...
Most people will only respond if there's a problem. Only LG or the carriers know what % of G4's went bad or will go into bootloop.
My speculation - the majority (greater than 50%) of the SN 505, 506, and 507 won't get bootloop every. Of course I might be wrong.

I think most of the people who regularly read this forum would respond, but realize that's a pretty small sample of total G4 owners. I have a SN 506 and have not had the problem, but don't work my phone very hard, and of course hold my breath thinking it will sooner or later (and obviously back up everything). Was hoping that maybe my phone will never experience it, and that's where I was trying to reassure myself that not all of them will eventually fail.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I think most of the people who regularly read this forum would respond, but realize that's a pretty small sample of total G4 owners. I have a SN 506 and have not had the problem, but don't work my phone very hard, and of course hold my breath thinking it will sooner or later (and obviously back up everything). Was hoping that maybe my phone will never experience it, and that's where I was trying to reassure myself that not all of them will eventually fail.

We could scan the all posts in AC to identify the usernames of everyone that had a bootlooping G4. Compare that to the total number of distinct users to the sum of all users in the G4 forum and I bet we'd have a nice ballpark number - failure rate. I assume that almost everyone with the bootloop problem will post, and the owners like us that have the suspect serial numbers with no problems yet - will not post. So the raw data is right here!
Problem is it will take some work to process the data to get meaningful results.

More at https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/43qeiy/the_day_came_g4_went_to_bootloop/

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
We could scan the all posts in AC to identify the usernames of everyone that had a bootlooping G4. Compare that to the total number of distinct users to the sum of all users in the G4 forum and I bet we'd have a nice ballpark number - failure rate. I assume that almost everyone with the bootloop problem will post, and the owners like us that have the suspect serial numbers with no problems yet - will not post. So the raw data is right here!
Problem is it will take some work to process the data to get meaningful results.

More at https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/43qeiy/the_day_came_g4_went_to_bootloop/

Sounds like a lot of work! This one already existed at the top of one of the threads on the issue. I don't know how to set up a poll, but bet if someone set one up, most of the g4 Forum followers would weigh in.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a lot of work! This one already existed at the top of one of the threads on the issue. I don't know how to set up a poll, but bet if someone set one up, most of the g4 Forum followers would weigh in.

Yes too much work! But I'm confident that the data is here, buried in our posts - the actual failure rate. But it isn't so simple. For example, how many users join the forum just because of the bootloop issue? Things like would have to be imputed into the result. That would skew the numbers higher. I see many of my friends from back in June or July of this year that had their G4's go bad. I also think that LG got it straightened out - the manufacturing kinks - by sometime in September.

RandyOhio

May 3, 2015
Visit site
The number of complaints here (yes I am one of them) would be statistically insignificant compared to the total number of units sold. There just aren't tens of thousands of complaints on here. How many million units were sold?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The number of complaints here (yes I am one of them) would be statistically insignificant compared to the total number of units sold. There just aren't tens of thousands of complaints on here. How many million units were sold?

Posted via the Android Central App

A lot of polls only rely on a sampling of the population, and use a percentage as something to extrapolate to the total number, as long as any factors such as a higher percent of people with problems uses the G4 Forum, looking for solutions, which I am guessing may have some influence, but definitely not why I joined. People may have joined to solve other problems, and the bootloader issue came up...who knows.