G4 Marshmallow battery issues

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Received the Marshmallow 6.0 update a couple of days ago, and I must say the battery life is absolutely awful. If you're reading this and are still on Lollipop I would suggest you stick with it....

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can improve the battery life?

Google said this update improves it. Lol, what a joke! As for doze mode, which kicks in after an hour of phone being on standby, well that's another joke. Who doesn't use their phone for an hour?! Certainly not me! Apologies for the rant, but so far this Marshmallow update is pretty crap. In fact it's the worst Android OS I've used so far.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I did the reflash back to LP and the phone was great. A few weeks ago, however, I took my phone from my pocket after work to find that I had MM installed. Although I had the system update app disabled, my phone updated anyway over the network. No warning or opportunity to decline or delay the 1GB update that counted against my data allowance. A tech guy at VZW told me that once you get two updates behind, LG bypasses Verizon and pushes the update direct (yeah, sure).

I had a recent backup, so I did a factory data reset (FDR) and reinstalled everything from scratch. I have to admit that after starting fresh, MM got a bit better after a week or so. It seems that most of the folks here who report that they had no issues with the update did a FDR and started fresh with MM.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
There are plenty of threads regarding the lousy MM roll-out. Garbage...turned my phone into junk, bad battery is just the beginning, the phone has had weird issues ever since the update.

Garbage

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
There are plenty of threads regarding the lousy MM roll-out. Garbage...turned my phone into junk, bad battery is just the beginning, the phone has had weird issues ever since the update.

Garbage
Yeah battery performance isn't the only thing I've noticed. This has pissed me off so much I've even considered going to iPhone for next handset, and I hate iPhones.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
That's almost sacrilegious to say you're going to go to iPhone haha
I've never owned one, and I swore I'd never buy anything from Apple again after a dodgy ipod I once had, but Google have really pissed me off with this **** update. It's ruined what was once a great handset. As I use my phone I can literally see my battery percentage count down.

shadavis08

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is Google's fault I think LG or Verizon is at fault for the issues in this update remember they put their stuff in it after Google

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't think this is Google's fault I think LG or Verizon is at fault for the issues in this update remember they put their stuff in it after Google
I'm in the UK, and we don't have Verizon so I don't think it's a network fault. Perhaps it's LG, but whoever they need to sort it, and fast.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah battery performance isn't the only thing I've noticed. This has pissed me off so much I've even considered going to iPhone for next handset, and I hate iPhones.

Me too, I won't though, there's just nothing from an architecture standpoint that attracts me to an iPhone, however I'm so miffed at the fractured Android ecosystem that a once outstanding phone is now unreliable and unpredictable.

shadavis08

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Fractured state of Android is , is something that can't be helped with how fast the progress is with innovation in the mobile industry it's just something you can't get away from it's going to exist no matter what.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It could very well be the apps you're using. For example, I found that the Accuweather app became a major battery hog in Marshmallow -- no problems in Lollipop with the same app; I installed their updated app for a couple of releases, found it was still a problem... and uninstalled the app. No biggy.

Have you done any sort of analysis of what your phone is doing during this battery drain?

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It could very well be the apps you're using. For example, I found that the Accuweather app became a major battery hog in Marshmallow -- no problems in Lollipop with the same app; I installed their updated app for a couple of releases, found it was still a problem... and uninstalled the app. No biggy.

Have you done any sort of analysis of what your phone is doing during this battery drain?
Hmm that's interesting as I do use Accuweather. Tonight I installed GSAM battery monitor so will check the results over the next few days and see what occurs.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I keep location data turned off unless I need to use Maps. I also use an app to toggle my wifi on when in range of my home wifi network and off when I leave. I can end my day with about 20-30% left in the battery, with about 4.6 hours SoT. I don't like that I have to watch my usage like that, but it's gotten better lately. The first few days after the update, I was making it about 11 hours with less than two hours SoT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21