G4 Marshmallow battery issues

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm still on lollipop but I've been thinking about updating to 6.0. Yea or naw?

I really like it... but there were a few app issues (like accuweather battery hogging) that I had to deal with. Also, the upgrade re-named my SD card so that I had to change a few apps to know about the new name. Other than that, it's been much better for me than Lollipop: smoother, faster, gives you better control.

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I really like it... but there were a few app issues (like accuweather battery hogging) that I had to deal with. Also, the upgrade re-named my SD card so that I had to change a few apps to know about the new name. Other than that, it's been much better for me than Lollipop: smoother, faster, gives you better control.

I feel the same way....I much prefer using Marshmallow than Lolli on my G4. So many little things that add up for me which make it better than Lollipop. It's most likely that most of the battery probs are from specific apps and also something within marshmallow. But I get through a normal day of use with plenty of battery left. Only time I get less than 20% battery left after 12 to 15 hours of my day...is when I have navigation or something that uses location services for extended periods.

There is lots of tweaking going on to get Marshmallow working good....all pending on amount and specific apps. Some apps are not updated to work well with marshmallow. That is the key to figuring out how to get decent battery life on the G4. Cant wait for the next update though.....(holding breath).....

shadavis08

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I feel the same way....I much prefer using Marshmallow than Lolli on my G4. So many little things that add up for me which make it better than Lollipop. It's most likely that most of the battery probs are from specific apps and also something within marshmallow. But I get through a normal day of use with plenty of battery left. Only time I get less than 20% battery left after 12 to 15 hours of my day...is when I have navigation or something that uses location services for extended periods.

There is lots of tweaking going on to get Marshmallow working good....all pending on amount and specific apps. Some apps are not updated to work well with marshmallow. That is the key to figuring out how to get decent battery life on the G4. Cant wait for the next update though.....(holding breath).....
What tweaks make MM better than LP? I would like to know these. Could you tell some of them please?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
What tweaks make MM better than LP? I would like to know these. Could you tell some of them please?

I like being able to 'pin' an app to the recent app list (I use for Spotify so I can clear all without nuking my tunes).

I like the way permissions are managed and are more configurable. Many of the settings are streamlined.

Generally I find it faster and less buggy... But there will be some apps that will have "issues". If you were looking for a major shift in the UI or functionality, you'll be disappointed, but I've been quite satisfied.

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
doing a FDR solved pretty much any battery life issues on mine. also, my last replacement device is a 508. it shouldn't be that way.

ScottJ

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded to MM on my T-Mobile G4. Battery wasn't good. Did a factory reset. Battery is now great, especially with Doze and no other problems.

disney4life2005

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I had all these issues. I struggled about a week and decided to FDR . The hardest part was remembering my pass words.lol. The next week after my FDR it took some time to adjust but the battery did stabilize out. I get about 10 to 12 hours on my usage..I keep sync and location with 5 email accounts and A lot of social apps to keep up with my teenagers

Posted via the Android Central App

duckman48764

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Upgrade to MM killed my phone when I'm at a location that the towers don't support LTE. I'm on Rogers and after the upgrade to MM from LP and even on the replacement phone they sent me, when I'm at a location that does not support LTE, my phone gets very hot and the battery life tanks to about 3 hours (just sitting there, no screen on, no games, no nothing, just sitting on the table) before the battery goes stone dead. Roger's suggestion was to change the network mode to "GSM Only" and that works (really sucks I have a 21st century phone and need to cripple it to 20th century technology ) :(

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Upgrade to MM killed my phone when I'm at a location that the towers don't support LTE. I'm on Rogers and after the upgrade to MM from LP and even on the replacement phone they sent me, when I'm at a location that does not support LTE, my phone gets very hot and the battery life tanks to about 3 hours (just sitting there, no screen on, no games, no nothing, just sitting on the table) before the battery goes stone dead. Roger's suggestion was to change the network mode to "GSM Only" and that works (really sucks I have a 21st century phone and need to cripple it to 20th century technology ) :(

I live in an area of excellent LTE coverage. When people complain about poor battery life under MM I never took into consideration the strength of their LTE signal. If that is a bug (in area of weak LTE using excessive battery MM and not LL) - could explain why some G4 owners have issues with battery that persist after factory reset and uninstalling/suspending rogue battery hogging apps.

Last edited:

duckman48764

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I live in an area of excellent LTE coverage. When people complain about poor battery life under MM I never took into consideration the strength of their LTE signal. If that is a bug (in area of weak LTE using excessive battery MM and not LL) - could explain why some G4 owners have issues with battery that persist after factory reset and uninstalling/suspending rogue battery hogging apps.

this is exactly my situation.. phone works wonderfully in the city and on the way out there, it's literally (figurative? I always forget) as soon as pull in the driveway you can almost hear the battery being sucked dead. Reminds me of a car commercial years ago when the guy pulls up in the muscle car, reeves the engine twice and the gas needle goes to empty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks