04-27-2016 02:07 PM
33 12
tools
    Received the Marshmallow 6.0 update a couple of days ago, and I must say the battery life is absolutely awful. If you're reading this and are still on Lollipop I would suggest you stick with it....

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can improve the battery life?

Google said this update improves it. Lol, what a joke! As for doze mode, which kicks in after an hour of phone being on standby, well that's another joke. Who doesn't use their phone for an hour?! Certainly not me! Apologies for the rant, but so far this Marshmallow update is pretty crap. In fact it's the worst Android OS I've used so far.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    04-17-2016 06:31 PM
    Been there done that. G4 had a bootloop issue. Got a new g4 and im sticking on lollipop
    04-17-2016 07:12 PM
    I downgraded to 13B lollipop and not going back to mm any time.
    04-17-2016 07:51 PM
    I did the reflash back to LP and the phone was great. A few weeks ago, however, I took my phone from my pocket after work to find that I had MM installed. Although I had the system update app disabled, my phone updated anyway over the network. No warning or opportunity to decline or delay the 1GB update that counted against my data allowance. A tech guy at VZW told me that once you get two updates behind, LG bypasses Verizon and pushes the update direct (yeah, sure).

I had a recent backup, so I did a factory data reset (FDR) and reinstalled everything from scratch. I have to admit that after starting fresh, MM got a bit better after a week or so. It seems that most of the folks here who report that they had no issues with the update did a FDR and started fresh with MM.
    04-17-2016 09:10 PM
    Yeah I'm using my Verizon phone on straight talk so they won't be pushing anything directly to me anytime soon.
    04-18-2016 06:09 AM
    Yeah I'm using my Verizon phone on straight talk so they won't be pushing anything directly to me anytime soon.
    Trust me Marshmallow is ****! Hopefully a patch will be released soon.
    04-18-2016 06:10 AM
    Yeah I was on MM for like a week after I got my phone and wasn't pleased with it.
    04-18-2016 06:11 AM
    There are plenty of threads regarding the lousy MM roll-out. Garbage...turned my phone into junk, bad battery is just the beginning, the phone has had weird issues ever since the update.

Garbage
    JGLdn likes this.
    04-18-2016 07:31 AM
    There are plenty of threads regarding the lousy MM roll-out. Garbage...turned my phone into junk, bad battery is just the beginning, the phone has had weird issues ever since the update.

Garbage
    Yeah battery performance isn't the only thing I've noticed. This has pissed me off so much I've even considered going to iPhone for next handset, and I hate iPhones.
    Michaelw81 likes this.
    04-18-2016 07:33 AM
    That's almost sacrilegious to say you're going to go to iPhone haha
    04-18-2016 07:33 AM
    That's almost sacrilegious to say you're going to go to iPhone haha
    I've never owned one, and I swore I'd never buy anything from Apple again after a dodgy ipod I once had, but Google have really pissed me off with this **** update. It's ruined what was once a great handset. As I use my phone I can literally see my battery percentage count down.
    04-18-2016 07:35 AM
    I don't think this is Google's fault I think LG or Verizon is at fault for the issues in this update remember they put their stuff in it after Google
    04-18-2016 07:38 AM
    I don't think this is Google's fault I think LG or Verizon is at fault for the issues in this update remember they put their stuff in it after Google
    I'm in the UK, and we don't have Verizon so I don't think it's a network fault. Perhaps it's LG, but whoever they need to sort it, and fast.
    shadavis08 likes this.
    04-18-2016 07:42 AM
    Yeah battery performance isn't the only thing I've noticed. This has pissed me off so much I've even considered going to iPhone for next handset, and I hate iPhones.
    Me too, I won't though, there's just nothing from an architecture standpoint that attracts me to an iPhone, however I'm so miffed at the fractured Android ecosystem that a once outstanding phone is now unreliable and unpredictable.
    04-18-2016 07:48 AM
    Fractured state of Android is , is something that can't be helped with how fast the progress is with innovation in the mobile industry it's just something you can't get away from it's going to exist no matter what.
    04-18-2016 07:52 AM
    It could very well be the apps you're using. For example, I found that the Accuweather app became a major battery hog in Marshmallow -- no problems in Lollipop with the same app; I installed their updated app for a couple of releases, found it was still a problem... and uninstalled the app. No biggy.

Have you done any sort of analysis of what your phone is doing during this battery drain?
    04-18-2016 06:09 PM
    It could very well be the apps you're using. For example, I found that the Accuweather app became a major battery hog in Marshmallow -- no problems in Lollipop with the same app; I installed their updated app for a couple of releases, found it was still a problem... and uninstalled the app. No biggy.

Have you done any sort of analysis of what your phone is doing during this battery drain?
    Hmm that's interesting as I do use Accuweather. Tonight I installed GSAM battery monitor so will check the results over the next few days and see what occurs.
    sswitzer likes this.
    04-18-2016 06:29 PM
    GPS on my Verizon G4 kills my battery
    04-18-2016 06:31 PM
    I keep location data turned off unless I need to use Maps. I also use an app to toggle my wifi on when in range of my home wifi network and off when I leave. I can end my day with about 20-30% left in the battery, with about 4.6 hours SoT. I don't like that I have to watch my usage like that, but it's gotten better lately. The first few days after the update, I was making it about 11 hours with less than two hours SoT.
    sswitzer likes this.
    04-18-2016 06:47 PM
    I'm still on lollipop but I've been thinking about updating to 6.0. Yea or naw?
    04-18-2016 11:57 PM
    I really like it... but there were a few app issues (like accuweather battery hogging) that I had to deal with. Also, the upgrade re-named my SD card so that I had to change a few apps to know about the new name. Other than that, it's been much better for me than Lollipop: smoother, faster, gives you better control.
    04-19-2016 02:43 AM
    I say naw!
    04-19-2016 06:39 AM
    Just search the forums on marshmallow issues, big mistake upgrading for me.
    04-19-2016 07:48 AM
    I really like it... but there were a few app issues (like accuweather battery hogging) that I had to deal with. Also, the upgrade re-named my SD card so that I had to change a few apps to know about the new name. Other than that, it's been much better for me than Lollipop: smoother, faster, gives you better control.
    I feel the same way....I much prefer using Marshmallow than Lolli on my G4. So many little things that add up for me which make it better than Lollipop. It's most likely that most of the battery probs are from specific apps and also something within marshmallow. But I get through a normal day of use with plenty of battery left. Only time I get less than 20% battery left after 12 to 15 hours of my day...is when I have navigation or something that uses location services for extended periods.

There is lots of tweaking going on to get Marshmallow working good....all pending on amount and specific apps. Some apps are not updated to work well with marshmallow. That is the key to figuring out how to get decent battery life on the G4. Cant wait for the next update though.....(holding breath).....
    sswitzer likes this.
    04-19-2016 08:21 AM
    I feel the same way....I much prefer using Marshmallow than Lolli on my G4. So many little things that add up for me which make it better than Lollipop. It's most likely that most of the battery probs are from specific apps and also something within marshmallow. But I get through a normal day of use with plenty of battery left. Only time I get less than 20% battery left after 12 to 15 hours of my day...is when I have navigation or something that uses location services for extended periods.

There is lots of tweaking going on to get Marshmallow working good....all pending on amount and specific apps. Some apps are not updated to work well with marshmallow. That is the key to figuring out how to get decent battery life on the G4. Cant wait for the next update though.....(holding breath).....
    What tweaks make MM better than LP? I would like to know these. Could you tell some of them please?
    04-19-2016 10:11 AM
33 12