I just got a replacement device which is still on lollipop. I did the marshmallow update on my previous G4 and encountered problems with the battery life and the phone just wasn't the same. Have they addressed the issues or is it better to stay on lollipop?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-23-2016 07:00 AM
    IMHO no its not. Some say it is.
    rdt595 likes this.
    04-23-2016 07:48 AM
    +1.

Marshmallow isn't finished yet. Yes, it works. But there is a lot of room for improvement. I'd avoid it as long as I could.

If you wind up taking the update, I'd do it before loading anything on the device, and do a factory data reset after the update before setting everything up. You'd effectively be starting with a new device on MM right from the box. That's your best chance of minimizing issues. You'll likely still have problems, but not as bad as they could be if you skip the reset.
    04-23-2016 10:05 AM
    I did mine yesterday on T-mobile. No problems yet outside of losing my manual refresh tab in my pop3 account
    04-23-2016 11:22 AM
    One thing I forgot to mention....after I updated to Marshmallow, it installed the doze mode for apps. The battery life is nothing short of AMAZING!!!! I have no problems with marshmallow, I would say to go ahead and install it.
    huntnyc likes this.
    04-24-2016 01:23 PM
    Umm you shouldn't have had to install doze mode for apps. Doze is integrated into marshmallow and is different from the doze app in the play store.
    04-24-2016 02:13 PM
    by doing the FDR, I avoided pretty much every issue that others who haven't been impressed by MM have experienced. if you do upgrade, I'd recommend you do the same
    04-24-2016 02:49 PM
    I just downgraded back to Lolipop. I did my install after doing a factory reset and noticed battery drain issues and other things missing that were in Lolipop but not in MM.
    Going to wait until MM is baked a little longer.
    04-24-2016 03:16 PM
    I did mean the doze mode included with Marshmallow....
    04-24-2016 04:33 PM
    I just downgraded back to Lolipop. I did my install after doing a factory reset and noticed battery drain issues and other things missing that were in Lolipop but not in MM.
    Going to wait until MM is baked a little longer.
    What's missing?
    04-24-2016 05:05 PM
    The biggest thing missing for me is push email. I use iCloud and the native email app. 5.1.1 had push, 6.0.1 doesn't. I've tried using 3rd party email apps to get push service but there are none I like. I guess I'm just being picky. Lol.
    04-25-2016 01:59 AM
    There wasn't any large improvements in performance from Marshmallow. My one pet-peeve is that the Google Now cards aren't showing up any more based on my search topics and that the shortcut is no longer a swipe up but a long press from the home button. Doze mode in Marshmallow is great for extending standby time for the phone. However, the screen on time remains the same between Lollipop and Marshmallow.
    shadavis08 likes this.
    04-25-2016 04:01 AM
    There wasn't any large improvements in performance from Marshmallow. My one pet-peeve is that the Google Now cards aren't showing up any more based on my search topics and that the shortcut is no longer a swipe up but a long press from the home button. Doze mode in Marshmallow is great for extending standby time for the phone. However, the screen on time remains the same between Lollipop and Marshmallow.
    Yeah, they blew it with Google Now... especially the swipe up thing. However, the contextual search thing can be quite useful when doing things like listening to Spotify: just do a long hold on the home button and you'll be shown search results about the song/artist.

I have found that once I uninstalled a couple of apps (AccuWeather being the big one) that my phone is a bit more stable, in that I've had fewer freezes.
    04-25-2016 10:06 AM
    We have the same exact situation. Old g4 had a bootloop. Got a replacement one. Been ignoring the MM update notification eversince.
    04-25-2016 07:42 PM
    I have found that once I uninstalled a couple of apps (AccuWeather being the big one) that my phone is a bit more stable, in that I've had fewer freezes.
    Good tip. I am gonna try that.
    04-28-2016 03:37 AM
    The bootloop issue was apparently a hardware problem and the only way of it not happening was if you bought a G4 manufactured after a certain date. That's what LG told me here in South Africa. So fingers crossed I got the newer one

KyonCoraeL likes this.
    04-28-2016 10:35 AM
    The bootloop issue was apparently a hardware problem and the only way of it not happening was if you bought a G4 manufactured after a certain date. That's what LG told me here in South Africa. So fingers crossed I got the newer one

I hope you are right. I sent my phone to get fixed 2 weeks before my warranty expired. Now that it's back I am worried . I looked at what they replaced. They had replaced the motherboard on the phone, according to the documentation.
    08-16-2016 11:46 PM