Crazy battery drain, 9 hours with screen at 30% and only 4g data enabled. Solutions?

A

AC Question

Hey all, so some backstory, this thing used to last for 2 days, and now it just doesn't. I have tried a factory reset etc, I am beginning to think it's my battery.

I just got a new device because my last one just wouldnt turn on after setting it down one day, it is always very hot (running around 106 if the screen is on). My battery usage on the graph is a straight plummet, I get about 9 hours per full charge and I keep my screen at 30% with all services off besides data.

I am wondering if I have a faulty battery and that is why my brand new device is having the same issue as my old one.

I use a Tenergy quick charger, I have tried using the Qualcomm snapdragon battery guru but it says it is incompatible with my device, I have wiped my SD card to be sure there wasnt a corruption issue there, and I have wiped the phone as of 2 days ago.

I have also tried using safe mode to see if it minimizes drain but it does not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My battery usage on the graph is a straight plummet
Do you mean a diagonal line? Or a drop to zero? If the latter, the battery has a dendrite and has to be replaced.

I use a Tenergy quick charger, I have tried using the Qualcomm snapdragon battery guru but it says it is incompatible with my device
Since there's more than one way to quick charge, use the charger supplied by the manufacturer. Using the wrong charger can ruin the battery.

I have wiped my SD card to be sure there wasnt a corruption issue there
There still could be. Remove the card to make sure the card isn't causing the problem. (Formatting a card with a bad cell leaves the bad cell.)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the G4 forum. :)

Yes, I'd say that a bad battery is likely.
Was the change sudden or gradual?
Do your battery usage stats indicate any abnormal users of charge?

zwalk

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Honestly the last few months have been a blur I just started nursing school haha.

The battery life has tanked pretty quickly, my old phone had some issues that this new one isnt so I am wondering if it was beating my battery up.

My battery stats look normal, this phone is a screen hog as we know, so lots allocated to screen, around 40%-50%, but everything else is relatively low. I have checked for outstanding apps that are causing drain, I just purchased a battery and I am charging on the OEM charger to see if that makes a difference as well.

Thank you for the welcome by the way, I appreciate your response :)

zwalk

May 8, 2016
Visit site
I just removed the SD card, it's not a straight plummet just a diagonal line that seems steeper than most I have seen on the forums. The tenergy charger is supposed to be LG G4 compatible

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, so some backstory, this thing used to last for 2 days, and now it just doesn't. I have tried a factory reset etc, I am beginning to think it's my battery.

I just got a new device because my last one just wouldnt turn on after setting it down one day, it is always very hot (running around 106 if the screen is on). My battery usage on the graph is a straight plummet, I get about 9 hours per full charge and I keep my screen at 30% with all services off besides data.

I am wondering if I have a faulty battery and that is why my brand new device is having the same issue as my old one.

I use a Tenergy quick charger, I have tried using the Qualcomm snapdragon battery guru but it says it is incompatible with my device, I have wiped my SD card to be sure there wasnt a corruption issue there, and I have wiped the phone as of 2 days ago.

I have also tried using safe mode to see if it minimizes drain but it does not.

Do you have a strong signal most consistently - wifi or data? Are you frequently in poor service area? Just want to rule that outl

zwalk

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Umm, give and take sometimes I drop to 1x in our apartment but I usually have wifi disabled unless Im at home or at school

wpavlik2

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Mine has taken to battery drain as of late, too.
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with it. I also have my "Photos have stopped" message ALL THE TIME! I report it all the time, but no updates to fix it.

Hmmmmm....

zwalk

May 8, 2016
Visit site
So to update... GSAM showed my phone temp at 124 degrees today randomly. I deleted Facebook and Facebook messenger with no improvements. I also tried a factory reset which for some reason kept me on Marshmallow... Will probably reset again today. I get 10 hours on 25% brightness. This is absurd

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
So to update... GSAM showed my phone temp at 124 degrees today randomly. I deleted Facebook and Facebook messenger with no improvements. I also tried a factory reset which for some reason kept me on Marshmallow... Will probably reset again today. I get 10 hours on 25% brightness. This is absurd

Factory Resetting doesn't reset the phone to the version of the OS that it had when new.

You're now using a replacement battery?