Is it Worth Buying a New G4 Today?

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I did own a G3. The price for the G4 seems really good now. It's going for $358 at AT&T and under $300 eBay.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Watch for Best Buy giving gift cards with it. You can use the card to put down on the phone if you are getting it on an installment plan. Just bought the wife one last month, Price was like $450, got the $200 gift card, (used as a down payment on the phone) and the payment is like $11 a month. Beats the $25 to $30 a month for the newer phones. I also think it is a top ten phone, so for the price, I say get one!!!

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Still satisfied with my g4. Usually by this time I am boiling with new phone fever. Haven't seen anything better yet this year.

Posted via the Android Central App

804hokie

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My only remaining issue with the G4 now, is its tendency to run hot. I do practically zero gaming on it, but it does run quite warm when browsing or playing video content for more than 5-minutes. But everything else about it, makes me really enjoy and benefit from using the device. In fact, I could very well keep using it past the 24-month mark (love those removable batteries).

On that, could anyone give me a real fix to alleviate the heat generation? Or at least point me towards a good thread pertaining to it?

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, if my G4 went missing, or died in some way, I'd be getting another. Nuff said. 😊

There may be better phones out there(not by much), but in my opinion, none match the G4s camera...and the price is very reasonable now.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The g4 will be worth buying for years, it will be some time before it is out dated int obsolescence. how MUCH you pay is a different matter of course.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The g4 will be worth buying for years, it will be some time before it is out dated int obsolescence. how MUCH you pay is a different matter of course.

Basically this, it's a very capable phone and will be for some time. The bootloop issue is a roll of the dice, I have a 505 for about a year now with no problems. The replaceable battery is a feature that is disappearing in favor of design (bad move IMO) but is an absolutely key feature when needed. I'll never understand design/fad over function but whatever.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Personally, for an almost identical price point I would go with a used Note 5. I just gave up on my G4 after about ten months of ownership and three factory resets in that time. I was set up with Nova Launcher and the phone would work great for a period time but then always decline into complete sluggishness. Opening most apps would it take several seconds and switching between apps what sluggish as well. Most recently I was getting messages within Google Maps saying searching for GPS signal I'm almost every trip and listening to podcasts while using Google Maps would cause my podcasts to skip.

Granted the only fair comparison will be after I've had the Note 5 for 10 months as well but I can tell you that from my initial experiences I much prefer the screen of the Note 5 to the screen of the G4 for some reason. I haven't been a Samsung user since the Note 2 but I recently acquired a tab S2 8.0 and the Note 5 and I am no longer offended by the intrusion TouchWiz used to be.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Still satisfied with my g4. Usually by this time I am boiling with new phone fever. Haven't seen anything better yet this year.

I'm also in the mood for a new phone, but I really don't see anything out there calling me. I've already had one G4 replaced due to the bootloop issue, so if it happens again, I may have to switch to something else, but I really hope this one will last awhile.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The G4 is a stellar device.
I really don't see another Android or other phone that beats it to date.

Taking things day by day with a back-up device waiting in the wings.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The G4 is a stellar device. I really don't see another Android or other phone that beats it to date..

This seems like a stretch. While I'd generally say there's no glaring issues that would make me say, "never buy this!" - I thought was being fairly generous by placing it in or near the top 10 devices that are currently on the market. But better all around devices include: Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7 Edge, Nexus 5X, HTC 10, Nexus 6, Galaxy Note 5, LG G5, Moto X Pure Edition (2015), Galaxy S6 Edge, etc. So that's 9 or 10 right there without including any of the equivalent devices from Apple or other platforms.

There's a case to be made about where the G4 would fit in on that list on various feature comparisons, but all of those devices are in the same ballpark on camera, most have better screens, most have better battery life, all have better security, most have better software when stock, most or all have better build quality (though the G4 has some VERY decent build materials), most have better audio playback, etc, etc.

So a person who can be happy with a G4 has at least a dozen other options that are comparable or better to choose from - which is good for consumers - and isn't bad for LG, because when the G4 was released, it was in or near the top 5 devices available and still being in or near the top 10 a year later is something they've never done before.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
This seems like a stretch.

Touche...
I was being overly generous perhaps saying other phones aren't beating it to date.

For the price I paid brand new with an extra back cover I didn't consider the other very good devices available because of their current price tags.
The G4 was my best option as far as cost to performance.
My next choice would be the Nexus 6P if the price were lower for that phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Touche...
I was being overly generous perhaps saying other phones aren't beating it to date.

For the price I paid brand new with an extra back cover I didn't consider the other very good devices available because of their current price tags.
The G4 was my best option as far as cost to performance.
My next choice would be the Nexus 6P if the price were lower for that phone.

Yeah value is definitely a different conversation, I'd put it much higher on the list for bang for your dollar.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
yes indeed. IMO it is superior to the G5 and V10

I've owned both the G4 (two actually, thanks bootloop) and the G5. The G5 is a better experience. Better battery life and snappier OS. Better signal, I haven't dropped a call since I bought the phone. The G5 is definitely the better device. That's my experience at least, can't speak for others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary