Will unlocked Sprint G4 work on T-Mobile

djlee0314

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I know, Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM but I've also read that since newer Sprint phones have SIM cards that if it is unlocked by Sprint it could work with an active T-Mobile SIM card. I haven't been able to find a clear answer so thought I would ask the best forum group out there. I've been thinking about switching to T-Mobile because they have great coverage here in Washington and my friends with TMO seem to be the only ones that get service when we're camping. FYI - I own my phone outright and believed its automatically been unlocked by can unlock it if isn't already. Any insight would be much appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I can tell, it might work with 2G/3G (so voice and up to 3G data), but not 4G. The specs note that the Sprint G4 only supports LTE bands 25, 26, and 41, which are not T-Mobile bands.

LG LS991: G4 Sprint Smartphone (Black Leather) | LG USA
https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/92908?start=0

Note that it says that band 2 (1900 MHz) for 2G and 3G is mainly in "refarmed areas," while band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) is the mainstay. So if T-Mobile doesn't have much band 2 coverage in your area, then you'll be out of luck.