I don't care that the LG G4 probably won't get Android N

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Just heard that the Nexus 7 is getting the Nougat roll out from next week. The Nexus 5 will not be getting Nougat, so I seriously doubt the G4 will be getting it. Personally I couldn't care less.

As I've said in a previous post, I no longer get excited about Android updates since the release of Marshmallow.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just heard that the Nexus 7 is getting the Nougat roll out from next week. The Nexus 5 will not be getting Nougat, so I seriously doubt the G4 will be getting it. Personally I couldn't care less.

As I've said in a previous post, I no longer get excited about Android updates since the release of Marshmallow.
Is that the Nexus 7 2013? I had heard it wouldn't be getting the update.

Last edited:

Oceanic16

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
It's the Nexus 7 (2016) that will get Nougat. Nexus 7 (2013) will get it via custom Roms for rooted devices.

Posted via the Android Central App

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Won't matter to me. My 3rd G4 went into bootloop again today, so I'm done. Going to either the G5 or the HTC 10. Both of those will be getting Nougat.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Won't matter to me. My 3rd G4 went into bootloop again today, so I'm done. Going to either the G5 or the HTC 10. Both of those will be getting Nougat.
With your experience of the G4 and you're considering the G5? My G4 had the bootloop issue, was repaired and all good since, but you won't catch me buying another LG for quite some time. I'm starting to think Nexus with stock Android is the way forward.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
With your experience of the G4 and you're considering the G5? My G4 had the bootloop issue, was repaired and all good since, but you won't catch me buying another LG for quite some time. I'm starting to think Nexus with stock Android is the way forward.
If I were buying, I'd be nowhere NEAR an LG phone. But this one is being replaced for me by Sprint. They didn't even offer the G4...heh.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The G5 is a fantastic device. Got mine the day after release. But I'm pretty sure anything with the 820/4 gigs of ram is gonna be great.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The G5 is a fantastic device. Got mine the day after release. But I'm pretty sure anything with the 820/4 gigs of ram is gonna be great.
I haven't seen any posts like the ones I saw in the G4 forums. The camera looks like a killer. Have you gotten any mods for it?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen any posts like the ones I saw in the G4 forums. The camera looks like a killer. Have you gotten any mods for it?
Nope, no mods. Never had any interest. Just the battery/charging cradle.

And yes, after the G4 debacle I had reservations. I've been with LG since the Optimus G (AT&T variant) then the Nexus 5. After the boot loop, I decided to give LG another chance since that was the first issue I had with the company. So far, it's paid off.

If you do go the G5 route, I would suggest a case.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Nope, no mods. Never had any interest. Just the battery/charging cradle.

And yes, after the G4 debacle I had reservations. I've been with LG since the Optimus G (AT&T variant) then the Nexus 5. After the boot loop, I decided to give LG another chance since that was the first issue I had with the company. So far, it's paid off.

If you do go the G5 route, I would suggest a case.
What case are you using?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered this earlier this afternoon! Glad to hear a good review.
Right on. It's a great slim case. First case I've ever bought actually. My G5 survived a fall on stone tile. Came away unscaved. I tend to hate cases, but after that it had to be done.

I read about your bad experience with the G5 on another thread. I didn't know if my recommendation led to that or not. Anyway, I hope the phone treats you as well as it's treated me.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Right on. It's a great slim case. First case I've ever bought actually. My G5 survived a fall on stone tile. Came away unscaved. I tend to hate cases, but after that it had to be done.

I read about your bad experience with the G5 on another thread. I didn't know if my recommendation led to that or not. Anyway, I hope the phone treats you as well as it's treated me.
So far, so good! Just getting past the first 24 hours feels great!

Philthyrich

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Are you saying the g5 is nothing like the g4? I like my g4 bit battery life is mediocre at best. I've had the phone for a little over a year. how is the battery life on the g5?

John_Westra

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I DO Care! Actually, What I care most about is the HORRIFIC State of Android Updates in General.
Here's something sure to elicit howls of Blasphemy, etc. I wish Android Updates worked like Microsoft Windows Updates!
Actually, the whole Android Ecosystem reminds me of the way PC's were in the early 80's! Yep 30 Years Ago!
Why don't we evaluate HW Mfg's on the Basis of Open, Readily Available Device Drivers?
Why do we have to WAIT Forever for Security Updates or simply Usability Upgrades?
Why does a 'Brain Trust' like the XDA Developers Forum and Cyanogen REFUSE to Grow Up and Publish OS Updates (ROMS) that are shown in a Grid w/ Features that are Green (100% Functional) Yellow (Non-Fatal Issues) Red (Not Working)?
Is this all too much to ask?
As dependent as we all are on our Smart Phones (Computers), why can't I buy a OS Maintenance Agreement for $2 p/mnth and Expect a continuously updated, bug-'free' Android Operating System?

Slytherin_Princess

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I care. I paid full price for this phone and only had it 14 months when it bootlooped. So then I had to pay a $150.00 deductible to Geek Squad to send it in for repairs. What they sent me was a refurbished G4 and not my original phone, repaired. It's bad enough that I don't trust my replacement phone even though it's running fine; I don't need to be told that a phone that is not even two years old is no longer eligible for Android updates when it was the 2015 flagship phone for LG. If that happens, I will go back to the land of "i" and I will never come back to Android again. If this replacement phone bootloops I'll go back to the land of "i" as well. No, I don't want a Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool