After the huge marketing push, really focused on the G4 camera, it seems the newer models barely even get a mention, except for staying it has a camera and its stats on paper. I really didn't hear anything quality-wise on the G5 or V10.

With the upcoming V20 the focus seems to be on the audio/video(?) capabilities, Im really wondering if the camera is worse, better, or at least the same. The reasons ive kept my G4 through 3 dreaded bootloops was the camera quality, but it's barely mentioned anymore.
    08-24-2016 01:04 PM
    After using the camera for some time I think that hype was bull****. Yes, the camera is very good, but it's not amazing. I'm sure other smartphones have just as good cameras now.

Never believe the hype as tech moves so fast, a month later your device will not be the best on the market anymore.
    08-24-2016 05:44 PM
    I sold my G4 due to poor battery life. Definitely wouldn't have stuck with the G4 after boot loop issue just for the camera. From what I've seen the G5 camera is an upgrade from the G4 camera. We now have several flagships and even mid-range phones like the LG Nexus 5x that can take better pictures than the G4.
    08-24-2016 10:52 PM
    I sold my G4 due to poor battery life. Definitely wouldn't have stuck with the G4 after boot loop issue just for the camera. From what I've seen the G5 camera is an upgrade from the G4 camera. We now have several flagships and even mid-range phones like the LG Nexus 5x that can take better pictures than the G4.
    G4 and G5 have same sensor but G5 has the wide angle addition. Nexus 5x with a less quality sensor better......huh dude put down the Kopitar pipe.....dont make me slap you with a Datsyuk backhander to the cookie jar shelf! hehehehe
    08-25-2016 10:36 AM
    After using the camera for some time I think that hype was bull****. Yes, the camera is very good, but it's not amazing. I'm sure other smartphones have just as good cameras now.

Never believe the hype as tech moves so fast, a month later your device will not be the best on the market anymore.
    My G4 took great pictures. Even iPhone 6s users would have me take group pics since they came out better.

It wasn't hype for the year I got to use it. Amazing for a camera phone? To me and those around me yes it was.
    sswitzer likes this.
    08-29-2016 01:25 PM
    I think it still takes slightly better pic than the iPhone 6s, but the newest Samsung is better.
    08-29-2016 02:36 PM
    I think at this point, there's not much difference in flagship cameras. OIS and RAW shooting was a great addition, but there's not a lot I've seen lately that really makes one stand out over the other. They all take great pictures for a phone, and I'd still rank the G4 right up there.

If they start adding optical zoom lenses or true aperture controls, then I think we'll have another race to run.
    08-30-2016 11:49 AM
    I think it still takes slightly better pic than the iPhone 6s, but the newest Samsung is better.
    Iphone 6 is overhyped crap.
    09-01-2016 09:25 AM
    The g5 generation of phones did generally eek out a noticably better camera, namely the s7 series boosted their low light quality. But it isn't quite worth it to throw out the g4, and the g4 still does bad *** pictures.

I believe the benchmark for the next couple of cameras is going to be low light, and higher resolution video recording.
    09-03-2016 01:46 AM
    I believe the benchmark for the next couple of cameras is going to be low light, and higher resolution video recording.
    I would be ok with increasing the sensor size, allowing the use of larger pixel sensors and not so much higher resolutions (even high end DSLR's don't go much over 20MP unless you spend thousands of dollars). Allowing more light on a per pixel basis would do a lot to help low light performance.

The HTC M8 tried something like this with their ultra-pixel camera. It was a relatively low 4MP shooter, but the pixels on the sensor were four times larger than other phone cameras. It got a lot of flak for being a low resolution, but nothing at the time could rival its color clarity and low light abilities.
    09-03-2016 02:45 AM