How to prevent future bootloop?

androidforum

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I have a late 2015-manufactured G4 which has been running fine. However, a lot of people who bought G4s from the same retailer as me have been getting the infamous bootloop issue recently. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent any bootloops which may occur in the future.

The only alarming thing I notice about my G4 is that when I'm watching a video with my Bluetooth headphones, the screen itself gets pretty hot and my battery hovers at around 40°C. Also the button area near my camera gets pretty warm too. Other than that, my phone is fine.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I have a late 2015-manufactured G4 which has been running fine. However, a lot of people who bought G4s from the same retailer as me have been getting the infamous bootloop issue recently. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent any bootloops which may occur in the future.

The only alarming thing I notice about my G4 is that when I'm watching a video with my Bluetooth headphones, the screen itself gets pretty hot and my battery hovers at around 40°C. Also the button area near my camera gets pretty warm too. Other than that, my phone is fine.

I was wondering the same thing, but as ManiacJoe stated, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. I bought a new G4 from a independent AT&T phone store that was going out of business last week, was to cheap to pass up on a brand new phone, still haven't decided whether I'm going to use it or sell it. I called LG and they told me that the warranty period starts when I activate the phone and that I have to register it on their website. But I'm not sure whether they will honor a warranty from a non carrier store that is no longer in business.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

That kind of heat is normal for this phone. Supposedly the boot loop was due to a flaw in the first batch, so you should be OK.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That kind of heat is normal for this phone. Supposedly the boot loop was due to a flaw in the first batch, so you should be OK.
The biggest batch of phones being affected were pre-October models, but I've seen a few newer models affected too. Even a couple 2016 versions.

I agree with ManiacJoe, with a caveat. The problem seems to be related to a bad solder connection, which opens up with heat expansion. That may make you think you should run the phone cool as possible, but I believe that only delays the joint from becoming problematic.

My advice is to either use the phone as normal, or just run the fire out of it. Game all day, stream HD videos, and do anything else you can think of to heat up the phone. Seriously!

Why? Look at it this way: If the phone has the defect, would you rather baby it, only to have it pop up later and possibly out of warranty? Or would you rather enjoy the phone and have to deal with this while still under warranty? Either way you'll have to go through the stress of recovering data with the freezer trick (hopefully), then set up a new phone when you exchange/repair it. No sense in footing the bill if you can keep from it! Some people have reported success getting warranty exchanges past the warranty expiration, but it's not something I'd personally count on.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing you can do to prevent a bootloop, unfortunately.

However, I have an LG G3 and my camera/back buttons do get hot when I'm watching a lot of Netflix or playing Pokémon Go, for example; so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As long as the overheating doesn't actually hurt you or cause any issues for you, it should be fine.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My wife has a G4 from a couple of months after I got mine; mine boot looped a few months ago, and hers has been fine. I think that since she uses hers a LOT less than I do, she may never get the boot loop. It makes sense: if the problem is a poor solder point, then too heavy usage will cause the boot loop.

At the same time, I agree that if you have a g4 that has not yet boot looped, there's no point in babying it... If covered by warranty period, they'll fix it (Bell Canada was very good about fixing mine), and if not you just go get a new phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze