KnockOn Issues

CynicalLoner

May 22, 2014
Visit site
These past few months or so my KnockOn feature has not been working properly. It lets me put the phone to sleep but the wake-up part no longer functions. This was a really useful feature that I liked about the phone, is there anyway I can fix it? The phone was recently reset to factory settings for a different issue and that hasn't fixed the KnockOn function so I'm hoping there's some other way.

kingb71

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine just started doing this the last few days, exact same way, I can put to sleep but not wake up.
Will wake up if device is not locked and screen off but if the device is locked then it won't.

Last edited:

CynicalLoner

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm having another issue as well with my phone that I think might be related. Pretty often my phone will wake up on it's own, no need to touch it or anything. Also the LED light on it will go off randomly whether I have a notification or not. It's really distracting sometimes and I have no idea why it keeps doing this. It's been happening for a few months now though.

omiller315

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Count me in.Knock Off ALWAYS works. Knock on is sporadic.The other day it seemed to work better at work than at home(same wifi router in both locations). I thought maybe it was a wifi update(as odd as that sounds) and reverted it. It actually seemed to work better for awhile. Being an IT guy, I am bound to troubleshoot and figure it out.. Maybe the last security update they released? Seems maybe it goes into deep sleep...I honestly believe it is software and not hardware, since knock off always works and screen tests shows I can draw/tap on all parts of the screen. Hopefully someone can find a fix. I like the feature and not ready to shell out $600 plus for a V20.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Stupid, but try this, it almost always works for me. Tap the screen twice to knock on, then wait.......... Someone's I have to wait a second or two, other times I have to wait 15 seconds, but it almost always does come on.

In the past I would double tap and when it wouldn't come on right away, I would double tap again (in effect shutting it off again).

I don't know why this works on my phone, my wife's has never had a problem with knock on our off.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
mine works fine however I have no free real estate on home screen so I have to swipe to a screen with a blank space and tap twice to shut off screen. wish I could do it from home screen

omiller315

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Stupid, but try this, it almost always works for me. Tap the screen twice to knock on, then wait.......... Someone's I have to wait a second or two, other times I have to wait 15 seconds, but it almost always does come on.

In the past I would double tap and when it wouldn't come on right away, I would double tap again (in effect shutting it off again).

I don't know why this works on my phone, my wife's has never had a problem with knock on our off.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. Seems to work better at work than at home. I have no idea why.. I tried with and without the AT&T Microcell at home as well. Wifi on/wifi off. I hate to reload, based on the previous person not having luck, but I guess that is my next time to try.

tomc1944

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This is an answer to no real estate on home page. Tap on the notification bar. It works fine.

Last edited:

omiller315

May 30, 2012
Visit site
The problem is knock on vs knock off. We can't turn the phone on to get to the notification bar without using the power button. Knock off works 100% of the time. Knock on maybe works 5% when it use to work 100% as well. That's the frustrating part.

Jeff Bubar

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Any luck on this issue? Same issue I'm having. KnockOn doesn't work most of the time. I have tried Factory Reset and everything else I can find. Also installed original firmware and still same issues.Checked it after each update. Seems like a common problem so i hope they can at least let us know what to do.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
My knock on or double tap to wake doesn't work about 90% of the time. Doesn't matter if it's charging or not. Knock off works 100% of the time. Kind of frustrating because I love this phone and barring any more bootloops, I could see myself using this phone for a while longer after it's paid off. But the little annoying things like this make me want to get another phone once it's paid off.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
For me, "knock on" works sometimes, sometimes I have to double-knock it 2 or 3 times. "Knock off" always works.

Here is my theory. The current version of Android tries to optimize battery use by putting apps to sleep when the phone screen is off. I think that whatever code supports knock on is getting put to sleep by this function. That's why it can take several tries to work - the first knocks wake it up, later knocks actually run the code and wake up the phone. Knock off (probably the same code) always works because the phone is awake when you use it.

In Settings - Battery & power Saving - Battery usage - Ignore optimizations you can tell Android to not optimize selected apps. If we could find which app(s) here supports the knock functions we could set it to not be optimized and everything would be sweetness and light.

I have fiddled with some of these but have not found which ones support knock functions (it may be pre than one). If there was a way to turn off optimizations altogether this could be quickly tested to see if further experiments are warranted. If anyone knows anything about this please pipe up!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae