Does it matter which way you rotate the phone for landscape pictures & videos?

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I know this sounds like a strange question but I was wondering if it mattered if you rotated the phone clockwise or counter clockwise when taking pictures or videos in landscape mode?

I'm left handed so I always prefer to rotate it clockwise so the shutter button is on my left hand. But the other night I took a picture, downloaded it to my computer, and the thumbnail was upside down. That's the second time in about a month it's done that. But when you click on the thumbnail to view the picture it was as it should be.

I'm thinking it's just a once in a blue moon kind of deal. Now I don't know if it was the LG G3 I had before this G4 or the Galaxy S3 two phones ago but it did matter which way it was rotated because I went to a concert and shot some video, got home and downloaded it only to find it was all upside down. So from then on I had to remember to rotate it counter clockwise to keep everything right side up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't... on the phone or systems that support the orientation tag. PC's, unfortunately, don't support that. So your pictures will usually have to be manually rotated if in portrait or in 'flipped' landscape. Pictures on your phone, however, will appear as intended.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
When you take a picture with any type of modern digital camera, the orientation of the camera is recorded in the EXIF data (with lots of other things) into every picture taken.

Correctly coded, modern picture viewers will read the orientation data and correctly display the image.

Many older (1990-2000) codes bases did not read the orientation data even when it was available.
There are still some modern apps/programs that wrongly ignore the orientation data.

Some websites, like Facebook, purposely remove the EXIF data from images uploaded to them. This results in no orientation data being available.

To work around this, in a photo editor app, you can rotate the image left then right (back to what it should be), then when you save the "edited" picture the physical orientation of the image should now match the EXIF data so that the EXIF data can be ignored.

Based on your post, the creation of the thumbnail would seem to be ignoring the orientation data, while the viewing of the actual picture is getting it right.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
When you take a picture with any type of modern digital camera, the orientation of the camera is recorded in the EXIF data (with lots of other things) into every picture taken.

Correctly coded, modern picture viewers will read the orientation data and correctly display the image.

Many older (1990-2000) codes bases did not read the orientation data even when it was available.
There are still some modern apps/programs that wrongly ignore the orientation data.

Some websites, like Facebook, purposely remove the EXIF data from images uploaded to them. This results in no orientation data being available.

To work around this, in a photo editor app, you can rotate the image left then right (back to what it should be), then when you save the "edited" picture the physical orientation of the image should now match the EXIF data so that the EXIF data can be ignored.

Based on your post, the creation of the thumbnail would seem to be ignoring the orientation data, while the viewing of the actual picture is getting it right.

Speaking of a photo editing app, I've never had one on any phone I've had. Is that something you should have? Sort of like a basic tool just to have around in case you should ever need it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most phones are now doing away with the editor BUT do allow you to download their free version (for instance, Photo Editor for Samsung Phones on the Galaxy Apps store). It's all about 'you pick what you want on your phone' and trying to get rid of 'bloatware'.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Speaking of a photo editing app, I've never had one on any phone I've had. Is that something you should have? Sort of like a basic tool just to have around in case you should ever need it.

It depends on how good you are with using your camera.
Some straight out of camera (SOOC) photos look good, some need some help; some cannot be helped enough to be worth keeping.
Virtually all photos will benefit from a little post processing.
Some folks like to carry it a bit (or a lot) further by applying filters and effects.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
It depends on how good you are with using your camera.
Some straight out of camera (SOOC) photos look good, some need some help; some cannot be helped enough to be worth keeping.
Virtually all photos will benefit from a little post processing.
Some folks like to carry it a bit (or a lot) further by applying filters and effects.

That's an easy one to answer. I'm absolutely atrocious with a camera. Just point it and shoot is about all I know. I showed some pictures I shot in an older thread and they were dreadful. I've learned a little about how to take it out of auto and make some adjustments before taking the picture but all of that is very hard for me to remember when I go weeks and weeks between taking any pictures.