Internal Drive Space

teratosis

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Hey there,

I have a G4, it was only using 2 gigs of the 22 gigs of internal storage. I also had a 2gb Sd drive that was almost full. I ordered a Sandisk 16gb. I transferred the files from the small SD to my computer. then removed it from phone, i transferred the files to my 16gb SD on the computer then put that SD back in the phone. Everything works as expected there.

Some reason, the internal storage now shows 18gb of 22gb used. Any ideas what happened there?

OverCount

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I have a friend who had a similar problem.

He solved it by-
1. Saving the files from the original SD card to a Memory Stick plugged into his p.c. and NOT to a file on the main p.c. memory.
2. Then Formatting the new SD card using this facility on the phone- NOT formatting it using the facility on the p.c.
3. Then he transferred one Folder/File at a time, from the Memory Stick to the new SD card in the phone, not all Folders/Files at one go.

After doing this, the phone's internal memory went down from 13Gb used, to what it was previously- 5.5Gb.

Can't explain technically why this worked, but he thinks the p.c. rearranges the contents of the saved original files when they are saved to the p.c's internal memory, and after they are transferred back to the new SD card, and the card put back in the phone, Android gets confused, and get caught in a loop, reloading the files into the phone's internal memory multiple times thus using up memory.

For some unknown reason, saving the original files on the 2Gb memory card, directly to another memory card plugged into the p.c, bypasses the file re-arrangment. It worked for him, so maybe give it a go.
I think it is important that you also Format the new SD card using the phone, not formatting it on the p.c.

Hope this helps a bit- let me know, ok? Regards, David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech