Physically remove internal storage from one G4 to another for data recovery?

A

AC Question

Hello all,

Like many, my LG G4 has gone into bootloop randomly when I plugged in the charger. I've tried the various methods on the internet such as putting the phone in the fridge/freezer, heating up the motherboard in attempt to soften the solder, etc. After many attempts, the phone has now stopped turning on all together.

I took the phone into a local data recovery shop and they suggested that it may be possible to remove the phone's physical internal memory from the dead LG and place it on a working G4 in hopes to recover the data that way. They said they would attempt it but I would need to bring them another G4. I'm considering purchasing a cheap used G4 from craigslist that is my same model and going that route but first I wanted to address the forums.

Has anyone accomplished this feat? Is it even possible? I was dumb for not backing up my data and wont make that mistake again but I have some precious memories in that internal memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. From working with computers for many years, I would say LG may be able to do something like that, but I highly doubt a local repair shop could as the memory would be tied exclusively to the old phones system. I would think, with the correct facility, you'd have better luck retrieving the data directly from the chips, but I have no idea how that physical memory is setup. Interesting question. I'll ask that the thread be moved to the LG G4 forum.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have absolutely no doubt this is possible. However you have two main obstacles: 1) Someone who knows exactly how to do this and 2) cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech