LG G4 keeps randomly dying and battery drains fast

PajiPantso

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
I've had this problem for over a few months now and I don't know what to do, I'm not able to buy a new phone so I need this fixed if it's possible. It usually happens when I am using mobile data and a heavier app, for an example, if I try using snapchat while on mobile data, my phone will just turn off and it will try to start up again on its own, sometimes it does and it jumps from let's say 80% to 2% and I have to charge it. Sometimes it doesn't turn back on until I plug it onto a charger and then it starts up again, usually always showing a vastly different battery percentage than it was before. Sometimes it doesn't even involve mobile data and heavy apps, yesterday I was connected to a Wi-Fi network and texting someone, suddenly the battery dropped from around 50% to 2% and the battery icon had an x on it, I put it to charge but it died nonetheless and suddenly showed me it had 44%. I really don't know what to do, I hope maybe replacing the battery would do, it's just annoying to have your phone die at random times. Thanks in advance.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem for over a few months now and I don't know what to do, I'm not able to buy a new phone so I need this fixed if it's possible. It usually happens when I am using mobile data and a heavier app, for an example, if I try using snapchat while on mobile data, my phone will just turn off and it will try to start up again on its own, sometimes it does and it jumps from let's say 80% to 2% and I have to charge it. Sometimes it doesn't turn back on until I plug it onto a charger and then it starts up again, usually always showing a vastly different battery percentage than it was before. Sometimes it doesn't even involve mobile data and heavy apps, yesterday I was connected to a Wi-Fi network and texting someone, suddenly the battery dropped from around 50% to 2% and the battery icon had an x on it, I put it to charge but it died nonetheless and suddenly showed me it had 44%. I really don't know what to do, I hope maybe replacing the battery would do, it's just annoying to have your phone die at random times. Thanks in advance.
How old is the phone, and how old is the battery?

Blumfette

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm getting the same. My phone will die at e.g. 50% with a message saying that it is at 0. I then have to plug it in to a charger to get it started again. If I check the battery monitor it shows the sudden drop to 0 and then back up again.

I haven't found a solution other than carrying a power bank with me. It would be great if someone could tell me how to fix it though. It's been doing it for a few months now and my phone is about 1.5 years old.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the same. My phone will die at e.g. 50% with a message saying that it is at 0. I then have to plug it in to a charger to get it started again. If I check the battery monitor it shows the sudden drop to 0 and then back up again.

I haven't found a solution other than carrying a power bank with me. It would be great if someone could tell me how to fix it though. It's been doing it for a few months now and my phone is about 1.5 years old.
My guess in both yours and the OP's case is the battery is bad and just needs replacing. Dying at a high percentage and then coming back with next to none is a classic symptom of the battery being bad.

Zoran D

May 28, 2018
Visit site
My guess in both yours and the OP's case is the battery is bad and just needs replacing. Dying at a high percentage and then coming back with next to none is a classic symptom of the battery being bad.

I have a same problem, but battery replacement did not fix a problem. With new battery I have the same problem. Also i changing the charger too, and i have same problem.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a same problem, but battery replacement did not fix a problem. With new battery I have the same problem. Also i changing the charger too, and i have same problem.
Considering how old the G4 is, replacing the battery with a "new" one is a crap shoot anymore. Even if you find a legit OEM battery unused, it's been sitting on a warehouse shelf for years at this point, and batteries age even when not being used. So I wouldn't be surprised if your new one was bad as well.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Try reforming the battery. Charge it to 100%. Then keep using it without charging it until the phone dies. Repeat the cycle twice more. See if that fixes it.

If not, there's something wrong with the phone, and a replacement G4 would probably be cheaper than a repair.