LG G4 stuck on Android is starting

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Every time I reboot my LG G4 I get the Android is starting. Optimizing app 1 of 1... and takes about 15 minutes to finish each time.
I've tried booting into recovery mode to wipe the partition cache, but the phone won't seem to boot into recovery mode by Holding the Power button and volume down buttons on boot. It ignores it.
I've also tried using the adb reboot-bootloader command but it just reboots as usual with the only difference is that it displays a message saying: "Select enable OEM in the settings". Not sure what that means.
I have never rooted this phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
No, there is no access to Recovery via the buttons.

The problem you describe may be related to the bootlooping issue of this device, which some of us here, myself included, have experienced.
Whenever I tried to get my own specimen working by heating the chip, it went through the same procedure as yours, worked for a while, then failed again.

Erasmus123

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Every time I reboot my LG G4 I get the Android is starting. Optimizing app 1 of 1... and takes about 15 minutes to finish each time.
I've tried booting into recovery mode to wipe the partition cache, but the phone won't seem to boot into recovery mode by Holding the Power button and volume down buttons on boot. It ignores it.
I've also tried using the adb reboot-bootloader command but it just reboots as usual with the only difference is that it displays a message saying: "Select enable OEM in the settings". Not sure what that means.

I had exactly the same problem. I found the solution on the web. The culprit turned out to be an app called "localcast for chromecast". If you have it, erase it and your problem will probably be over. It worked for me.
Let us know if it worked for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

alyor2018

Apr 20, 2018
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem. I found the solution on the web. The culprit turned out to be an app called "localcast for chromecast". If you have it, erase it and your problem will probably be over. It worked for me.
Let us know if it worked for you!

Hello Erasmus
I have since 2 days ago exactly the same problem on my LG G4
the localcast for chromecast is not installed on my phone
don't know what to do

kblee27

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

My LG G4 also same problem recently. Tried everything. Delete cache, factory reset, safe mode, recover firmware update twice, but it always comes up with "optimizing app 1 or 1.." for 15 minutes. Then it would work normally.

I couldn't believe it, but found someone says Zedge.
That was my last update and it cause this phone to hang.

Uninstall it, and things went back to normal.

Omobolasire1

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
My LG G4 also same problem recently. Tried everything. Delete cache, factory reset, safe mode, recover firmware update twice, but it always comes up with "optimizing app 1 or 1.." for 15 minutes. Then it would work normally.

I couldn't believe it, but found someone says Zedge.
That was my last update and it cause this phone to hang.

Uninstall it, and things went back to normal.

I had the same problem and I uninstalled Zedge and boom fixed instantly.

Somnambulisme

Apr 25, 2018
Visit site
My Verizon LG G4 is doing the same thing. I had previously gone through LG's bootloop issue. I don't have either Chromecast or Zedge. It started about a week ago for me. I've started deleting apps and restarting but haven't gotten anywhere. There are a number of similar threads recently (e.g., "My LG G4 has gone all kinds of crazy", "LG Andoid products suddenly bricking?") but also with other phones (including Moto X). It all seems to be older phones: maybe Android, LG or Verizon pushed some update?

kingb71

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to think our phones are so old some of the apps are being updated for Android 7 and aren't compatible with our older OS's

Raef Hamdan

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same issue and it started maybe 2-3 days ago. I don't have zedge nor local cast. There must be some app we all have in common that's doing this. I swap batteries all the time so it's a big pain.

ramjet1962

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same issue and it started maybe 2-3 days ago. I don't have zedge nor local cast. There must be some app we all have in common that's doing this. I swap batteries all the time so it's a big pain.

My LGG4 started doing this a few days ago also. I think the update is messed up

asylum23

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I had also done other updates and thought it was Android System WebView as it started right after that had updated. Then I read it's Zedge and I've had that program for almost 2 years. I had restarted phone and was again stuck on "Optimizing", but for me each time it has been a good 20 minutes.
I uninstalled Zedge and it started right up, no Optimizing. Thanks for everyone who figured this out!

HackOne

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Android Is Starting- "Optimizing", 1 0f 3. Removed ZEDGE. Now I get "Optimizing", 1 0f 2. Is there a way of looking at your apps install dates and back tracking to delete the most recent until you fix the problem??? BTW: thanks to all of you who pointed out ZEDGE, which I have had several yrs.

gubitsp

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my LG G4 started about a week ago. takes 15 minutes to restart while optimizing 1 of 1
I tried soft reseting to factory and removed most aplication and does not help.
any ideas ho to solve ?

augeydoggy

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have problem on V10. I finally swapped for a refurbed V10, and then on reinstalling found that Trucaller is also a culprit. Not installing it kept phone from doing the optimization. But then I did a restore to get my data back, and the optimizing 1 of 1 problem came back! I have done yet another factory reset and am reloading all but Trucaller, and will not do a restore, just manually reactivate apps and see if that works. If not, iPhone!!

Raef Hamdan

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
Guys it just fixed itself after some of my apps updated automatically again. So if you still have that issue try updating all your apps.

Watch Man

May 6, 2018
Visit site
i have the exact same problem with Samsung S7 Edge. It also started at about the same time. I dont think this is specific to phone model. It has to be some issue with recent updates to apps we all have in our same. Since I dont have ZEDGE on my phone, it has to be something ads-related that come with apps that are also in other apps I got in my phone or a problematic common Android system apps that ZEDGE and the app I got on my phone. Now, if only someone can identify what is that and I will uninstall the crap right away.

A

Android Central Question

LG G4 start up - optimizing app 1 of 1 10 mintes

I don't have zedge,
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/873115-lg-g4-stuck-android-starting.html#post6237774
read but can not add anything and found no solution in thread.

3 days reliable trouble so far.

SETTINGS APP: I found no program which looks suspicious.
SD App Manager III lists AD: DomiNations 4 times, it is not installed. It is a very agressive game ad.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: LG G4 start up - optimizing app 1 of 1 10 mintes

I don't have zedge,
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g4/873115-lg-g4-stuck-android-starting.html#post6237774
read but can not add anything and found no solution in thread.

3 days reliable trouble so far.

SETTINGS APP: I found no program which looks suspicious.
SD App Manager III lists AD: DomiNations 4 times, it is not installed. It is a very agressive game ad.

I merged this thread. So is the problem that you have the "Optimizing apps" screen, or that you have a popup ad?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel