Is my G4 near its end?

spb331

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

My LG G4, which has definitely seen better days, last week suddenly developed a very long - sometimes a couple days - lag in sending/receiving texts (using stock app, which was working fine previously). I cleaned out my cache and, when that didn't work, did a factory reset. Post reset, it's still not receiving texts. I checked the battery optimization settings, and the messaging app is already excluded from the optimization list.

Also, after re-installing most of my apps, it can't seem to download any additional apps from the Play Store - they hang on "Download Pending" - otherwise I would try a non-stock messaging app. But no additional apps will install.

I've had this device for about 18 months - Verizon supplied it as a replacement for my original G4, which started refusing to complete the boot cycle after I'd had it a little over a year. This one has pretty poor battery life at this point and tends to run fairly hot, so it may just be time to put it to rest, but I was hoping to get a few more months out of it. Just wondering if there's anything else I should try before giving up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any problems with making calls, or with mobile data? Have you asked Verizon about it? You could try updating the PRL by dialing *228 -- I think this is intended primarily for old 3G-only phones, but it won't hurt to try.

For the app installation issue, try clearing the app cache/data for both the Play Store and Download Manager (in Settings>Apps). For the latter, you probably have to tap Menu>Show System first.