I accidentally switched the location where my photos are stored from SD card to Internal storage, and just about filled up Internal storage memory to the point that my phone is misbehaving. How do I move them to my SD card so I can save them to my computer? When I plug my USB cable into the phone, there is no longer a popup on the phone that allows me to access the phone's memory, and Windows Explorer will not allow me to access the phone at all :-(.
    Thanks
    10-31-2019 01:16 PM
    Go into Settings and search for USB preferences. If it's all greyed out, your microUSB port isn't connected (inside the phone) and has to be repaired. If not, choose file transfer.

Until then, you can manually copy all your pictures to the SD card with a file manager. (If you did it right, you originally moved /DCIM to the SD cars, then moved it back to internal storage. Just copy it to the SD card then, if the copy works (all your pictures are readable from the SD card) delete them from internal storage. (Never move - that copies as many files as possible into RAM, deletes them from the source and writes them to the destination. If anything goes wrong before writing them, you've lost them. Always copy, check, then delete.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-31-2019 02:01 PM
    I can't see Storage Preferences anywhere in Settings. I used to get a popup asking what I wanted to do when I plugged my phone into the computer. I no longer do for some reason.

I went to File Manager and found the folder where the photos I want to move are, but Share or Delete are the only option. No choice to copy/paste them .
    10-31-2019 02:25 PM
    When you connect via USB and swipe down the notification panel, you don't see the USB icon there? If you do see it, tap it and make sure MTP is selected.

If you don't see this, then have you already tried different USB cables? Cables can fail without warning, and sometimes it can be just the data transfer part of the cable, not the charging part.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-31-2019 09:47 PM
    I can't see Storage Preferences anywhere in Settings.
    Which settings? The camera app or other specific app, or the general phone settings? The one you need to look for would be in the individual apps. I don't recall a global setting for save locations from when I had the G4.

I used to get a popup asking what I wanted to do when I plugged my phone into the computer. I no longer do for some reason.
    As mentioned above, this could be a cable issue, or a port issue. The G4 uses micro-USB cables, which are notorious for going bad, so I'd start with a new one first. Especially if charging performance has slowed down or become intermittent.

I went to File Manager and found the folder where the photos I want to move are, but Share or Delete are the only option. No choice to copy/paste them .
    Since you are trying to transfer photos, have you tried using the photo gallery? It has an option to copy and paste to the SD card. I'd also suggest you go into your phone's main settings, then to the storage settings. In it you should see an option for the internal storage and SD card. If you don't see the SD card listed at all, then either the card could be corrupted or the card slot is defective and not reading it. Try to power off the phone, remove the card, then power it up again without the card. Once on the home screen, insert the card and see if it's being read.

You could have two or three possible problems here. The G4 also has a design flaw making it prone to bootloop. When that hits, data recovery may be difficult (there's a couple tricks to get it to boot long enough to backup info, but it's not guaranteed). There's no warning before it happens, meaning you could be on a ticking time bomb.

So the first thing I'd do is install Google Photos if you haven't already. Set it up for the free photo and video backup service and make sure it gets everything you'd want to keep. Also make sure anything else you'd want is backed up to a cloud service. That way if the bootloop hits before you solve the current problem, you're not back here asking how to recover potentially lost data.

If your main goal is to get the photos on your computer, I'm pretty sure you can access Google Photos from there to download them. That would bypass the SD card and USB issue. As for those problems, I don't know how much time I'd invest in fixing those. The bootloop problem aside, it's an old phone that's no longer supported and just due to upgrade anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if you're running into issues with lag and general slow performance simply because apps are updating beyond what the phone can handle smoothly.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-31-2019 11:56 PM
    The option through the Photo Gallery worked perfectly, thanks!

As far as the other issues, I have had my Bootloop issue fixed by LG a couple years ago. It's been a while since I wiped and reinstalled everything, which is why I wanted to back up all my Internal memory stored photos and reset the phone.

When the phone is reset, it works well. I don't game, watch movies, or do much really intensive stuf with it. The screen is good, has a removable battery and sd card, which few phones do anymore, pretty decent camera, so think I'll keep it a while longer, given what phones cost now (this was free, back when Verizon gave them away for signing a new contract...ahh, remember those days?
    11-01-2019 12:26 AM
    The option through the Photo Gallery worked perfectly, thanks!

As far as the other issues, I have had my Bootloop issue fixed by LG a couple years ago. It's been a while since I wiped and reinstalled everything, which is why I wanted to back up all my Internal memory stored photos and reset the phone.

When the phone is reset, it works well. I don't game, watch movies, or do much really intensive stuf with it. The screen is good, has a removable battery and sd card, which few phones do anymore, pretty decent camera, so think I'll keep it a while longer, given what phones cost now (this was free, back when Verizon gave them away for signing a new contract...ahh, remember those days?
    Good luck with it. I know a lot of people got it repaired, but it still bootlooped. I liked the phone as well, but I moved to the V20 when mine bootlooped because I didn't want to chance it again. The V20 is even better than the G4 and I'm still using it today. When you factor in all the rebates, billing discounts, and gifts, I was actually paid to use the V20. Lol
    11-01-2019 07:41 AM
    Maybe I'll take a look...no way I'm paying full price for a new top line phone (which the G4 was when I got it) like we did on our son's first Smart Phone a couple years ago, a low end Samsung.

Thanks again for the help!

BTW, any idea why some of the text messages a couple of my friends try to send from their iPhones end up in my wife's Messages? We are on Verizon and hte Lavel 2 Rep had no clue. Some are replies to a message from me, some are totally new messages.
    11-01-2019 08:34 AM
    BTW, any idea why some of the text messages a couple of my friends try to send from their iPhones end up in my wife's Messages? We are on Verizon and hte Lavel 2 Rep had no clue. Some are replies to a message from me, some are totally new messages.
    Not sure on that one. You may want to start a new thread for that since it's a different topic and that may get you more replies for it. I know there's some goofy stuff that can happen texting between iPhone and anything else, but I'm not well versed in that.
    11-01-2019 09:31 AM
    Thought it was worth a shot .
    11-01-2019 10:19 AM
    BTW, any idea why some of the text messages a couple of my friends try to send from their iPhones end up in my wife's Messages? We are on Verizon and hte Lavel 2 Rep had no clue. Some are replies to a message from me, some are totally new messages
    Are you saying they're trying to send a message to you from their iPhone, but it shows up in her SMS messaging app? Which phone does she have, and do you two share any accounts?
    11-01-2019 01:35 PM
    Yes. Not all messages, just occasionally. I haven't figured out any other pattern yet. She has an SE, uses Apple's native texting program. I use Textra, which I think piggyback's on Verizon's Message +.
    11-01-2019 02:20 PM
    You'd probably have to look on those friends' phones and see if there's some oddness with how you and your wife's contact entries are listed. Maybe some of your friends have your contacts combined into one? It might be worth asking this question on the iMore forums as well: https://forums.imore.com/
    11-01-2019 02:33 PM
    One person does not have her in his Contacts list for sure. It's really weird.
    11-01-2019 02:47 PM
    I'm not familiar with how Verizon Messages+ works, but is your wife also registered with it (even though she uses iMessage)? I'm wondering if that could be causing some kind of crosstalk.
    11-01-2019 02:56 PM
    Not sure. I was working with a Verizon Tier 2 rep on this when we ran into a troubleshooting problem he said was related to my having no memory left, the reason for this thread. I might as well pursue this after I get that resolved and will post any new questions then. Thanks for the help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-01-2019 02:59 PM