How to fix laggy H810 after Marshmallow update?

lotus1922

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
This probably isn't possible, but here goes...

I have AT&T LG G4 that came with Marshmallow (I don't remember the software version, unfortunately). I had at one point disabled the OTA updates, but somehow yesterday my phone updated itself to H81021z and now everything runs so slow, even after running smart clean and wiping the system cache partition. Oddly though, I did immediately have a bit more free internal space post-update.

Is there anything that can be done? Is it possible to downgrade back to stock, or would doing further updates help? I'm really disappointed how much everything sucks now...

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-24-06-39-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-12-24-06-39-00.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How did you wipe the system cache partition? I always thought that LG phones didn't allow the user to get to the Recovery menu to do that.

I think the main thing to try next would be a factory reset.

lotus1922

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
How did you wipe the system cache partition? I always thought that LG phones didn't allow the user to get to the Recovery menu to do that.

I think the main thing to try next would be a factory reset.

In settings it's under "Storage & USB" >> Internal Storage. Scroll down and click on "Cached Data".

Trying to avoid the pain of starting over with a factory reset but of course if there's no other option I will have to bite the bullet...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Wiping the cache doesn't make you start over.

2. The phone was designed for 5.1.1 - Lollypop. Running Marshmallow on it is pushing it a bit, that's why it's slow.

lotus1922

Jul 4, 2018
Visit site
I know wiping the system cache doesn't start over, it just cleans up the temp files that accumulate over time.

I've been running Marshmallow on this phone for over a year with zero problems. I want to say it was H81010o but I might be confusing that with my other G4. It's only since the OTA update yesterday that it's been slow and buggy acting. And like I said, I had turned off OTA updates long ago and it showed as such in the hidden device menu, so I have no idea why it suddenly decided to update itself.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In settings it's under "Storage & USB" >> Internal Storage. Scroll down and click on "Cached Data".

That's actually not the same as wiping the system cache partition -- that's just wiping all app caches. LG doesn't let the user wipe the system cache partition (unless you root and install a custom recovery, I think).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You can revert to an earlier firmware version if I recall correctly. You have to find the correct .tot or .kdz file and use the LG Flash Tool...or something of the kind.