My three disappointments with LG G5

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree! I will rarely swap the battery day-to-day, but will definitely replace the battery when it ages and isn't holding as much of a charge. I have a three year old S4 on it's third battery. If I got a new phone every year, this probably wouldn't matter. However, I kept this S4 and the Razr before it for over three years.

I could maybe baby the S7/S7E fixed battery and live with it, but the glass back is the deal breaker for me. I haven't broken a phone in a very long time, but I know in my bones that I would have a crack in that glass long before I would be ready to change phones, and a crack, even if hidden, will drive me crazy. I won't use a bulky case, as my favorite purse is rather small and a big case on a big phone just won't work with it. I believe the aluminum G5 will have a much better life expectancy.

I don't understand LG's reasoning with the app drawer. I can understand turning it off by default to make it a bit more iPhone like. But removing the option for the classic app drawer (I understand there is a accessibility, larger icon mode with an app drawer) is bogus.

Yes, I can use Nova, but I would like to keep the cool features like Knock On... However, if I have to choose on over the other, Nova and the app drawer are going to win. There is no way I'll be able to keep up with moving icons into a folder as an app drawer substitute. I'm not that organized, and my phone screen would be a mess in between reorganizing it. Maybe LG will flex on this after release.

Just an fyi, knock on will still work even when using Nova launcher, but knock off won't. However, you can enable knock off in Nova via the gesture settings.

fresca2u

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Just an fyi, knock on will still work even when using Nova launcher, but knock off won't. However, you can enable knock off in Nova via the gesture settings.

That's awesome, almost no reason not to throw Nova on as soon as the G5 is in my hot little hands, then!

rnznco

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
These are the reasons I'm personally going Galaxy S7 this year vs G5. Disclaimer: it's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

1) Large body yet smaller display. Need I say anymore? G4 had larger bezels than G3 and G5 is continuing that trend. Not good for my smaller than average hands or pocketability.

2) Added a secondary camera instead of massively improving low light quality on the primary rear camera. All the signs point to the main G5 camera being the same F1.8 aperture unit as last year, which is by no means a bad thing but I feel it's going to be outdone by Samsung's brand new camera sensor in low light situations and focusing speed.

3) Smaller battery. Yes, yes it's removable. But I'm the kinda guy who likes to carry less in my pockets not more, so I'd rather carry the larger-batteried Galaxy S7 or S7 edge than the G5 + a spare battery.

Bonus reasons: Water resistance IP68 and wireless charging support that the G5 lacks.

This is just my opinion. I'm definitely not trying to change your minds if you love the G5. I think it looks really really good, just for my needs Samsung have done better this year. Again, your needs may be different and that's totally fine!

No. 2 - LG might have failed to develop something new for their cameras this year given that the G4 had quite an advanced camera when it was released last year. It sort of gave them less room for improvement and instead slapped in another camera for wider view.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
With an older Optimus I was hoping to see some improvements in the G5, but it seems like LG went backwards.

They dropped the dual front speakers--so the music has to sound worse. When Dolby and high end music was such a claim for them, until now. How dumb is that, to give up something that makes your product line stand out?

And the smaller battery. It doesn't matter what the screen type is, if you are running GPS and BT, even without WiFi, the phone is going to suck power and I want to know a battery can get me through an 18-hour day and even into the next morning, in case I can't charge it at night. Smaller battery? Really??

Modular sounds nice but I don't want to carry a utility belt full of modules. Sorry, LG, maybe next time you need to hire some focus groups from real customers.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
This is funny...in that I've been using Samsung for many years,and recently while searching for "the perfect" unlocked GSM/CDMA phone, I rejected the Moto X Pure Edition because of its backwards nav buttons. :)

Ha. So true. I even posted my initial thoughts on the S7E after having it a week, and the only thing I bemoaned was the nav buttons being backwards. 20 days in, and when I pick up my Lenovo Tablet I can never hit the right button first time :-[

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from ever using a Samsung device is the backwards navigation buttons. I don't mind the physical home button, but I do mind having the back button where the recent button should be and vice versa.

Disappointed because I really wanted to like the G5. Coming from the G4, G3, Nexus 5, and Nexus 4, it looks like I need a break from LG. My eyes are on Motorola at this point.

I like the back button placement on Samsung phones. It helps so much with one handed use.

Posted via the Android Central App

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I like the back button placement on Samsung phones. It helps so much with one handed use.

It really doesn't. The entire bottom to is easily accessible by your left or right thumb when used one handed. A button on the right isn't harder or easier to press than a button on the left.

It just makes no logical sense for the 🔙 button to be on the right side. Back is left, forward is right.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Its too early to judge the g5's camera. As far as the bigger size im guessing its for a good reason since theres modules now.
I think samsung might have the better camera but in no way that means LG will have a bad one.
LG makes excellent hardware this is no exception. Im talking to you Huawei nexus 6p hint hint ******

What's up with the 6p?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
It really doesn't. The entire bottom to is easily accessible by your left or right thumb when used one handed. A button on the right isn't harder or easier to press than a button on the left.

It just makes no logical sense for the 🔙 button to be on the right side. Back is left, forward is right.

I don't agree with that. I find it harder to press the left button than the right one. I can reach both of course, but definitely more comfortable to use the right one for me.

Last edited:

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

It's more natural than the Nexus ways in my opinion. I use the back button more than the recent apps button and it's easier to reach on the right side.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't agree with that. I find it harder to press the left button than the right one. I can reach both of course, but definitely more comfortable to use the right one for me.

You must have a dwarf sized thumb then.

If I'm just hovering my thumb over my navigation keys, it rests naturally above the left side of the bar, meaning it takes absolutely zero effort for a right handed user with an average size thumb to just press down on keys more left aligned. To hit the recent key on the right size, I have to bend my thumb before pressing down. So if we're gonna say which is easier, I'm saying it's the way that requires zero effort from my thumb.

If you're left handed, and ignoring that it's just not a logical design to have the back button on the right, then it would make sense that it would be "easier" for you on the right since, if you have a regular, not dwarf sized thumb, your thumb would naturally rest above that right aligned, back key.

But, in all seriousness here, not a single navigation key is easier or harder to press unless you have an unnaturally small thumb or you hold your phone in some unnatural way as to make pressing the other keys more difficult for yourself. It makes no logical sense to have the back key on the right when everything else possible always has "back" somewhere on the left.

It may be understandable that a lefty who wants to defy logic might want it on the right, but not for anyone else who's not a Samsung user or not Chinese since all their phone are backwards. To prefer the button on the right just says to me that you've typically only used Samsung phone so it's a habit now whole every other phone has it on the left (including the Korean LG and the Chinese OnePlus).

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sick of people talking about how fast this phone is or how fast any phone is at launch time LMAO. I mean really? Nothing is leaps and bounds faster than a phone released a few months before or at the same time. That would impress me. And the whole module concept is stupid. Oh I want wireless charging? Let me grab that. Oh I want a better camera? Let me grab that. Oh I want better audio ? Let me remember to grab that LMAO. PUT that crap in the phone to begin with. Btw. I love my v10 m8 note 5 iPhone 6s Plus and my coming soon s7e :) :) :)

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The only thing keeping me from ever using a Samsung device is the backwards navigation buttons. I don't mind the physical home button, but I do mind having the back button where the recent button should be and vice versa.

Disappointed because I really wanted to like the G5. Coming from the G4, G3, Nexus 5, and Nexus 4, it looks like I need a break from LG. My eyes are on Motorola at this point.

I don't think that's something that would take too long to adjust to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante