Phones transitioning into 32gb only?

A

AC Question

Why is this happening? Personally I'm hating this trend atm, LG G5 and S7/S7E are doing this as well in the U.S.
At this point I'm waiting for the new HTC/NEXUS/ONE lineups in high hopes this year.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed that too, and I don't like it either. Ok, so they may have SD card support, but it's not adoptable storage so it's limited. Plus accessing data from SD cards is slower. 64 GB is what I'm looking for on my next phone, I don't really care about SD card support.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I blame the carriers. They don't want end-users to control their data storage. The carriers want to push remote / cloud storage and maximize data over their networks and charge us $$$$ for high GIG data plans. Either that or do it like Apple and charge an arm and a leg for the higher storage capacity handsets.

I don't think its really up to the manufacturers... they do what the carriers want

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In my store where I work, 99% of S6's bought are the 32GB versions. 64GB and 128GB barely sell at all.
This... We're own own worst enemy here. We all want 1TB phones, but the vast majority of the buying public usually ends up buying the smallest capacity option to save money. And the cost to step up is often pretty steep..

So Samsung and LG figured the 32 would be the most popular option, by a mile, so stuff a SD in it, remove the other models at first, and save a little on manufacturing costs... And not have any dead stock capacities that aren't selling.

At least it's 32, right? How many 16G iPhone 6S's are floating around out there?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This... We're own own worst enemy here. We all want 1TB phones, but the vast majority of the buying public usually ends up buying the smallest capacity option to save money. And the cost to step up is often pretty steep..

So Samsung and LG figured the 32 would be the most popular option, by a mile, so stuff a SD in it, remove the other models at first, and save a little on manufacturing costs... And not have any dead stock capacities that aren't selling.

At least it's 32, right? How many 16G iPhone 6S's are floating around out there?
Too many. The majority of iPhones sold are indeed 16GB. And when there is a 64GB iPhone sold, majority of the time it's from the iPhone 6 generation, not 6S.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

But isn't that because the carriers (to some degree) impose that absurd pricing onto the handsets, for the reasons I mention in my post above?

Typical SD card pricing:
32G = $12
64G = $22
128G = $40

If the higher G handsets were priced similarly why wouldn't they out-sell the lower capacity models? ~$30 difference spread out over 2 years of payments... willing to bet a lot of consumers can swing that.

Last edited:

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
But isn't that because the carriers (to some degree) impose that absurd pricing onto the handsets, for the reasons I mention in my post above?

Typical SD card pricing:
32G = $12
64G = $22
128G = $40

If the higher G handsets were priced similarly why wouldn't they out-sell the lower capacity models? ~$30 difference spread out over 2 years of payments... willing to bet a lot of consumers can swing that.

That's SD card pricing, not flash storage pricing.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
32 GB + an SD card is more than enough space. 32 GB without an SD card is enough space for most people. And with that amount of internal storage, adoptable storage is unnecessary. You don't need to install apps to the SD card because there's plenty of room with the internal. If you need more space to store pictures, videos, and music, that's what the SD card is for.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
In my store where I work, 99% of S6's bought are the 32GB versions. 64GB and 128GB barely sell at all.

Our location quit stocking the 64gb after we noticed it didn't sell, the 128gb was special order from the start and I doubt we sold a single one.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Our location quit stocking the 64gb after we noticed it didn't sell, the 128gb was special order from the start and I doubt we sold a single one.

Not surprising. AC is silly with geeks who'll argue for weeks over whether IPS or AMOLED are better... And, as a whole, a group that'll appreciate the benefit of added on board storage.. And a group that'll often not think twice about taking down the phone that want and not just the phone placed in front of them.

The average schmoe on the street couldn't care less and just wants a phone to check the latest Vines.

PS... I bought a 64G 6P because geek.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
32 GB + an SD card is more than enough space. 32 GB without an SD card is enough space for most people. And with that amount of internal storage, adoptable storage is unnecessary. You don't need to install apps to the SD card because there's plenty of room with the internal. If you need more space to store pictures, videos, and music, that's what the SD card is for.

I don't agree that 32gb is enough internal memory for most people. I have a 32gb phone and am not a power user in the slightest. I don't consider myself to have tons of apps on my phone, yet after owning my phone for less than a year I found myself running out of space. I was quite surprised and disappointed when that happened. And I don't even have any music or videos on my phone! So for someone like me to run out of space relatively quickly, I can't see how 32gb is enough for most people to be honest

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Totally agree. But then again some have their whole life on their phones.