LG G5 vs LG G4 camera

marz at play

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LG G5 16MP rear camera is exactly the same as the LG G4? I understand it has a secondary wide angle 8MP camera but I'm not interested in that. I want to know if the 16MP is the same on the LG G5 as the LG G4 or did they improve upon it at all. If it's exactly the same as on the G4, and in the meantime Samsung came out with what was proclaimed as the best smartphone camera ever in the GS7 and GS7 Edge, then this is a HUGE let down for me. Does anyone know if the G5 camera is any better then the G4 or exactly the same?

tp2386

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but the LG G5 16MP rear camera is exactly the same as the LG G4? I understand it has a secondary wide angle 8MP camera but I'm not interested in that. I want to know if the 16MP is the same on the LG G5 as the LG G4 or did they improve upon it at all. If it's exactly the same as on the G4, and in the meantime Samsung came out with what was proclaimed as the best smartphone camera ever in the GS7 and GS7 Edge, then this is a HUGE let down for me. Does anyone know if the G5 camera is any better then the G4 or exactly the same?

This guy on youtube has a G5, and i'm not sure if the camera is better than the G4 since I never owned it, but here are his results. Both photos and videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKMOTRS1mQ

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hasn't been nearly as much talk on the camera specs vs last year (it was THE main point) only the extra accessories and wide angle. That leads me to believe it's either a slight, or more likely no, upgrade on the main camera.

I think I'm sitting out the G5, for no other reason than my G4 blew me away and still works great, so the only thing that would've swayed it was a vastly, or at least incrementally improved main shooter. Not a bad thing, its a great camera, so why buy it twice. Maybe the G6 or V10 sequel will have new tech with the camera.

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The YouTube photos look great to my eyes.
He could have used the HDR to advantage in some of the photos.
Impressed by the video quality and image stabilization.
Apparently I'm not using my G4 camera to its full potential.
My only disappointment is the downsized screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Hasn't been nearly as much talk on the camera specs vs last year (it was THE main point) only the extra accessories and wide angle. That leads me to believe it's either a slight, or more likely no, upgrade on the main camera.

I think I'm sitting out the G5, for no other reason than my G4 blew me away and still works great, so the only thing that would've swayed it was a vastly, or at least incrementally improved main shooter. Not a bad thing, its a great camera, so why buy it twice. Maybe the G6 or V10 sequel will have new tech with the camera.

That there hasn't been nearly as much talk about the camera is a clear indicator that it has not changed and is just the rehashed G4 camera. Unlike Samsung improving the camera was not important. Samsung had to do it to differentiate the GS7 from the GS6 since its the same phone with some refinement to the exterior by curved back like the note 5. Where as LG focused more on coming with a new designed phone out of the gate not a G4with a curve or something but a new phone altogether. So their focus was that and these modules that are add ons and everyone raved about how great the G4's camera was and the V10's camera so they just kept that same set up most likely as attention went elsewhere and everyone seemed happy with it.

rnznco

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
even if the LG G5 camera did improve a bit, I think it'll be easily carried down to the LG G4's camera via software update since they both use the same camera module. Just my guess. I'm no expert.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
What is all this talk about the S7 camera being improved, I have read more than a couple reviews that state the S6 camera is all around better than the S7.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
What is all this talk about the S7 camera being improved, I have read more than a couple reviews that state the S6 camera is all around better than the S7.

They went from a 16MP on the GS6 to a 12MP on the GS7 with a larger sensor with is important to let more light in and aperture is F 1.2 now very fast to capture what you are shooting. Thats the improvements that most folks are talking about.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
They went from a 16MP on the GS6 to a 12MP on the GS7 with a larger sensor with is important to let more light in and aperture is F 1.2 now very fast to capture what you are shooting. Thats the improvements that most folks are talking about.

Most of the reviews have said yes, a great improvement in low light photos, but a step back in day light photos. But just to clarify, the Aperture in the GS7 is f/1.7 and the pixels size has increased from 1.2 μm to 1.4μm.

So it probably works for some, and is a burden for others.

For me, manual mode is how I adjust for low light situations.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes I'm aware of the changes, my point is that just because it may sound better on paper doesn't mean it is better and people post "S7 improved their camera" without ever using it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The lg g4 still camera is top notch, but the video quality was lacking compared to other flagships., has the lg g5 improved video performance?

statsman42

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Video performance is TBD since we're pre-release. But I'd expect them to match the V10's video, which was what its entire launch was built around.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Going by this review, it looks promising. I'd like to see how quickly she can focus though. I have 2 small children, so focus speed is very important to me...especially in low light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles