Received G5. Battery looks to be pretty bad

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Right. I know how that works.

I'm trying to figure out how it's so low, based on the time the apps are alive.

Looking at some papers from a friend about the 820 as a starting point.

Then to try disabling some of the things he has disabled, though I don't think that's it.

Not sure what's going on here. But I think if it can be figured out, people might like to know :)

Whatever it is, it's related to the low foreground app usage.

Posted via the Android Central App

I decided to run an experiment today. I'm running a stop watch every time I'm on AC. I'll calculate the time I'm in the forum posting, reading, etc. Then I'll compare that to the CPU foreground to see how big a difference there really is.

At the end of the day yesterday, CPU foreground was only about 18 minutes for AC forums app but I know I was on here more than an hour, maybe 2 hours.

I'll post the results. It's not scientific but it's at least an experiment. And it's not being conducted on the G5 but on the V10.

Ronnie Brewer

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
well I agree that Sammy has great screens, but awful software. THE G5 is simply awesome. the more I use it the more it like it. ITs growing on my better than any previous device. I am very interested in the htc 10 but I doubt I could leave the simplicity of the G5. It is a great device straight out of the packing box. NO setup needed or 3rd party apps to make it perform great.so give it a go, I doubt you will be upset.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been off charger since about 3:30am and its now 12:40 and I'm at 50 percent....I've been using my phone all day....moderate use.phone calls....web surfing.....this forum and playing Boom beach

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My usage

Attachments

• 232.jpg
    232.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 232.jpg
    232.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 234.jpg
    234.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Density allows more capacity in a smaller space but 2800 is 2800

That's exactly my point, density doesn't play into battery life and why it's hard to believe his stats like 8~9 hrs of SoT. So far we don't see anyone else reaching that point. Also I don't think it's fair to compare result with some main features turned off with others under normal setting.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
That's exactly my point, density doesn't play into battery life and why it's hard to believe his stats like 8~9 hrs of SoT. So far we don't see anyone else reaching that point. Also I don't think it's fair to compare result with some main features turned off with others under normal setting.

I think I can add some more testing to the mix fellas!! Ive had some minor cosmetic issues with my handset.. slight bump around cameras.

I figures since I'm definitely going to keep it I may as well have a flawless unit... it will alos give

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I think I can add some more testing to the mix fellas!! Ive had some minor cosmetic issues with my handset.. slight bump around cameras.

I figures since I'm definitely going to keep it I may as well have a flawless unit... it will alos give

Not sure what happened there... anyway..

It will also give me the chance to test the "unicorn" theory. Iffff I had a freaknof a device, then I shouldn't be able to repeat the SOT with this totally different device.

I do have to admit the skeptics had me seriously stuck on whether to just accept the blemishes... as changing it and not being able to achieve the same results would seriously hurt my feelings!!!?!!

I Didnt have enough battery to set up the phone before charging the first full charge. So it may be tomorrow before I can get the battery drained twice... but I'll confirm the results as soon as I can!!!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Alright, here is my current results for my officially unofficial experiment around CPU foreground.

Basically what I did was open the AC forums app, then hit the recent apps to open the clock, start the stop watch, then use recent apps to go back to the AC app. When I was done with the AC, i hit recent apps, stopped the stop watch and hot the home button. I repeated this process each time I visited the forum.

I was either reading posts or posting the entire time the app was open on the screen.

As you can see, I had the AC app open for 2h2m yet the total for CPU foreground is only 22m.

I don't see any real correlation between CPU foreground and apps being open as a way to determine SOT.

Well written apps should all produce similar data. And if MM and the 820 are even more efficient than my V10, then CPU foreground could be even less.

Attachments

• 1459896329579.jpg
    1459896329579.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 1459896344419.jpg
    1459896344419.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 1459896353258.jpg
    1459896353258.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 1459896363279.jpg
    1459896363279.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 53

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a G5 today. My phones generally get poor screen on time due to spotty coverage near my home. It'll be interesting to see how this phone fares. I'll make sure to post my findings.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
But for the screen is says "Time on" rather than "CPU foreground", so you'd hope for the screen that would be an accurate measure of how long the screen itself is on.

For apps, CPU foreground should be a lot less than the time you've used it, otherwise it would imply the app uses 100% of your CPU whenever you are in it.

So, 20m CPU foreground for the forum app, when you used it for 120 minutes, means on average its using 16% cpu. I'm not sure how android works, but on some versions of "top" i've used in the past (UNIX cpu command), if you had 8 cores, a process could actually go to 800% if it maxed out all cores. The cpu foreground equally could be 8 times higher than the elapsed minutes it had been running for. Other versions scaled the values down to 100%, and I assume that's what Android does.

akuma13

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
First day of use on a full charge. I got 4hrs and 50 minutes of SOT. Mostly browsing, taking pictures, streaming music on LTE. I don't think that's bad. Is it?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
But for the screen is says "Time on" rather than "CPU foreground", so you'd hope for the screen that would be an accurate measure of how long the screen itself is on.

For apps, CPU foreground should be a lot less than the time you've used it, otherwise it would imply the app uses 100% of your CPU whenever you are in it.

So, 20m CPU foreground for the forum app, when you used it for 120 minutes, means on average its using 16% cpu. I'm not sure how android works, but on some versions of "top" i've used in the past (UNIX cpu command), if you had 8 cores, a process could actually go to 800% if it maxed out all cores. The cpu foreground equally could be 8 times higher than the elapsed minutes it had been running for. Other versions scaled the values down to 100%, and I assume that's what Android does.

Yes, a well coded Android app should use much less CPU than the amount of time the app as in use.

My experiment was to prove that CPU foreground can not be used as an indicator to whether or not the 8-9 hours SOT is legit. Just because under AC app, he shows less than 20 min CPU foreground does not mean he was only using the app for 20 minutes. He could have been actively using the app for 2-3 hours, which means 2-3 hours of SOT during this time as well.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys!!! Sorry I was MIA yesterday ... Was having issues with my A/C account!!! Think they have me all straightened out now!!!

I'm in my second device.. Second charge. I didn't take screenshots last night as it was first charge. But I got almost exactly 6 hrs of SOT on the first full charge ... same as my first device. This time it even included the entire first time set up of the device in that drain!!!

I'm very very very confident 6hrs SOT will become the norm for power users with G5 and as I've already shown... 7-8 even 9 hrs of SOT is absolutely achievable for users who don't have so much time to spend on the handset!!!

Not to mention if youre hard on your screens... They are super easy to replace!!! That's an extra bonus for me as I'm a bit if caveman, and went through a half dozen on my g2... Lol!!

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
OK, I'm on second charge for an entirely different handset!!

I've just reached 50% battery life, on what is a normal day for me. I use my phone as an office... not for gaming.

I do listen to a good bit of music..

I'm just at 4hrs of SOT...

Attachments

• 565.jpg
    565.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 82
  • 567.jpg
    567.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 561.jpg
    561.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 563.jpg
    563.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
We have a second unicorn sighting.

Bwaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaa

Yes sir!! We sure do!!!

I'm happy to be seeing more and more posts through the threads mentioning the great battery life!!!

Good work yesterday, on the officially unofficial testing!!!!

Looks like you're getting some good SOT with that V10 too!!!