04-11-2016 08:18 PM
97 123 ...
tools
    Watch both of their unboxing and first few videos about the LG G5.

What is LG doing? They don't seem so serious about manufacturing.

Such a good phone. But...

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-01-2016 06:09 AM
    I just watched Jerry's teardown.

I don't understand why they need to cover the aluminum with plastic and a metal-like paint coating on top of it.

That's why I heard some people saying it felt odd for a metal phone.
    04-01-2016 06:17 AM
    It would help if links were provided.

04-01-2016 06:41 AM
    < . . . >
    I don't understand why they need to cover the aluminum with plastic and a metal-like paint coating on top of it.
    < . . . >
    That "plastic" was likely some kind of primer to get the metallic coating to adhere properly. Aluminum is usually anodized, painted or powder coated to minimize corrosion. Here's a good link: https://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/h...owder-coating/
    04-01-2016 07:48 AM
    Here is Erica's

Here is one of JerryRigEverything's (he does a separate destruction vid too)
    Mister K likes this.
    04-01-2016 08:12 AM
    Compared to other unboxings she got a bad phone with dents

04-01-2016 08:29 AM
    That "plastic" was likely some kind of primer to get the metallic coating to adhere properly. Aluminum is usually anodized, painted or powder coated to minimize corrosion. Here's a good link: https://www.saf.com/how-to-specify/h...owder-coating/
    Looks like it's for the antenna.
    04-01-2016 09:10 AM
    What is most concerning was when she took the g5 in a dark room and showed all the light bleed... That's no joke. Screen looked terrible.

mayconvert likes this.
    04-01-2016 09:53 AM
    What is most concerning was when she took the g5 in a dark room and showed all the light bleed... That's no joke. Screen looked terrible.

The light bleed is bad. Not something you'd consider acceptable on a $600+ flagship.
    04-01-2016 09:57 AM
    I have never thought of the G5 as a real flagship, too many corners cut on the design. There's just too many things about it that the V10 does better. Looks like they are cutting corners on QC aspects as well. Hopefully they can get some of these things worked out with their suppliers and contract manufacturers.
    04-01-2016 10:17 AM
    But can you really call this a metallic phone? You can clearly see that there is less than 50% metal used in the phone. Having a metallic support deep inside the finish doesn't count for metallic to me.

I don't understand why couldn't they have made the phone more heavier and solid.

And yes. Erica did get a bad piece but it is SO bad that it's worrying. The first batch is supposed to be the best one. It's just hurting LG. These two videos are going places.

LG had a good product in their hands and their damaging their reputation themselves.

nokia4life likes this.
    04-01-2016 10:39 AM
    This is not as advertised he scrapped off a nice amount of plastic, No other advertised all metal body phone does this. No HTC, Not Apple or others. I understanding if its like the Nexus 6p the plastic part is at the very bottom, even with pearl paint coating like on some it still feels premium and has a certain metal heft to it. Everyone that has picked up the G5 says the same it feels cheap and plastic. I think they should of stayed with plastic polycarb style vs doing this as it just hurt their image and lets not forget those LCD panels terrible there are now 6 videos on youtube with these panels showing major bleed that is unacceptable for this tier and cost of a phone no matter how you try to spin it.
    04-01-2016 11:03 AM
    After seeing an un boxing of this phone it does look a bit cheapy when I saw the video where LG revealed the phone I think it looked so much better it looked metal to me. But seeing it now it doesn't look like a better phone then the v10 or even the g4 in my opinion.
    04-01-2016 11:18 AM
    This is not as advertised he scrapped off a nice amount of plastic, No other advertised all metal body phone does this. No HTC, Not Apple or others. I understanding if its like the Nexus 6p the plastic part is at the very bottom, even with pearl paint coating like on some it still feels premium and has a certain metal heft to it. Everyone that has picked up the G5 says the same it feels cheap and plastic. I think they should of stayed with plastic polycarb style vs doing this as it just hurt their image and lets not forget those LCD panels terrible there are now 6 videos on youtube with these panels showing major bleed that is unacceptable for this tier and cost of a phone no matter how you try to spin it.
    LG claimed that the plastic beneath is the antenna.

However, I'm not buying that theory, simple because in JerryRig's video, THAT'S A LOT OF PLASTIC. I don't need you need a lot of it for a bunch of antenna bands.

But the real kicker is the light bleed and the panel being really thin, causing the LCD display to "bloom" at times while touching it, which gives off a "low-quality" feel.

Honestly, the G5 looks like it's cheaply made, and that's a no-no on a phone that costs over $600+ when new.
    04-01-2016 11:26 AM
    After seeing an un boxing of this phone it does look a bit cheapy when I saw the video where LG revealed the phone I think it looked so much better it looked metal to me. But seeing it now it doesn't look like a better phone then the v10 or even the g4 in my opinion.
    Agree it doesn't look like it will be better than the V10 if you ask me LG should have made the G5 a mini version of the V10 using the same build materials and features just in a 5.5 build that would have been sweet. I really wanted the G5 but the videos that are out there are not just opinions of not liking something like UI its really about build quality and the light bleeding through the screen is bad, those blotches that show up on multiple videos is bad, the chipped plasti-dip paint job bad, all of these things are facts not someone saying i don't like a color gamut or what not. I was going to get the G5 I guess I will get the V10 or the GS7 Edge. still on the fence...
    04-01-2016 11:28 AM
    Subscribed

04-01-2016 11:53 AM
    Just went down to Verizon to look at one..... Doesn't look bad like the one she she opened in the video. The seam at the bottom was fine. The back of the unit was flawless. I wish I had gone there first but I had to make a decision to get the promo items and ordered online..... I got the silver, though the titanium did look decent.

04-01-2016 12:37 PM
    Just seen at the store and was very disappointed! Just like the video, with hardly any pressure on the glass you can see the pressure on the lcd and on their display I saw several blotches on the display. I've had every Lg flagship since the Optimus G and think I'll sit this one out and stick with the G4 till something better comes out

04-01-2016 01:09 PM
    With a heavy heart I am returning my g5. It was immaculate on the back, but I did have quite a big gap between the chin on both sides. But most of all was the back light bleed. If I would only notice it on a pitch black screen on max brightness in a pitch black room I'd be alright. But still seeing it bad at half brightness in a well lit room is bad. I can't put up with that. I was the biggest G5 fan, so feel pretty gutted. And I have to wait until Monday to send it back too, so will have to wait to get a different phone.

04-01-2016 01:28 PM
    With a heavy heart I am returning my g5. It was immaculate on the back, but I did have quite a big gap between the chin on both sides. But most of all was the back light bleed. If I would only notice it on a pitch black screen on max brightness in a pitch black room I'd be alright. But still seeing it bad at half brightness in a well lit room is bad. I can't put up with that. I was the biggest G5 fan, so feel pretty gutted. And I have to wait until Monday to send it back too, so will have to wait to get a different phone.

What are you gonna get instead?
    04-01-2016 03:05 PM

04-01-2016 03:05 PM
    Sounds like some QA problems are present, as I've seen alot of reports like this around the web. However, my silver G5 from Verizon seems fine to me. I just took the case off to have a good look - chin is flush and tight with the body, no gap. No marks on the plastic/slash metal finish. To me, the screen is fine and bright, and looks much nicer than the S4 it replaced. I don't notice any bleed. If there is bleed (and there might be, I don't have the best eyesight), I won't be spending too much time looking for something that will bug the crap out of me if I find it.

Just saying it ain't all bad - I may have won the cellphone lottery and bagged a unicorn. Sorry you guys are having such a miserable experience.
    04-01-2016 03:48 PM
    I watched the Erica Griffin video last night, and almost had a meltdown as I had pre-ordered the phone.. I am not noticing the major problems on the back panel, nor do I have a gap along the chin. Would anyone have any idea how to test for light bleeding on the panel? While setting up the phone, I didn't see any noticeable splotches or anything of the sorts on the screen, but I'd like to see if there's anything as atrocious as what Erica had on her screen.
    04-01-2016 04:01 PM
    I watched the Erica Griffin video last night, and almost had a meltdown as I had pre-ordered the phone.. I am not noticing the major problems on the back panel, nor do I have a gap along the chin. Would anyone have any idea how to test for light bleeding on the panel? While setting up the phone, I didn't see any noticeable splotches or anything of the sorts on the screen, but I'd like to see if there's anything as atrocious as what Erica had on her screen.
    Download an app called "Backlight Bleed Test" then go to a dark room with no light.
    nokia4life and Stephen33 like this.
    04-01-2016 05:32 PM
    Probably the s7 or s7 edge. On my carrier (EE uk) it's basically I phones, Samsung and a few mid range phones. So there isn't much choice. I know the s7 is a brilliant phone, but I was hoping for something a little bit different to everyone else (phone hipster!)

04-01-2016 05:55 PM
97 123 ...