06-05-2017 11:06 AM
27 12
tools
    So I was one of the lucky people to receive my preorder quickly from T-Mobile and so far the device has been great.... except for one thing.

I've now gone through 2 different manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors (3 protectors total) and found an issue with this phone... I don't think the screen lays 100% flat to be able to take a tempered glass protector. Each and every one of them has had the same issue, where the bottom corners will not stay adhered. On top of that, one of the sides even slowly pulls away as it sits on the phone.

I'm writing partially as a potential warning and also to see if anyone else had the same results occur. At this point, I purchased some film type protectors instead. If it's a unique issue, then no worries otherwise, as the phone works great otherwise.
    04-01-2016 07:45 PM
    same here . tried 2 manufactures both leave huge bubbles that will not stay stuck .

starting to dislike my LG purchase .
    May return it .
    04-01-2016 10:49 PM
    same here . tried 2 manufactures both leave huge bubbles that will not stay stuck .

starting to dislike my LG purchase .
    May return it .
    The first batch of glass screens don't fit, so you don't like LG?

I lol'd.

The first batch of Supershieldz didn't fit my G4. They sent a newly revised one and it fit perfect. Try another one and get a refund for the bubbled ones.
    04-02-2016 01:38 PM
    i have one from ebay that has the top curve on the g5. only full screen one ive seen. fits perfectly
    04-04-2016 02:16 AM
    Does it have adhesive over the entire glass or only where the black borders are ?
    04-04-2016 08:07 AM
    What kind of protector did u post a video about ?
    04-11-2016 05:57 PM
    Yep.. Ishields hd glass dont fit. Neither does tempered. Oh well.
    04-16-2016 10:28 PM
    Yup. Wasted 3 different tempered glass protectors. Doesn't sit snug on corners. Does the regular protectors work?
    04-21-2016 07:14 AM
    I bought a Yootech brand tempered glass protector, it covers the whole glass from top to bottom and is blacked out in the same areas as the screen. It also has the slight curve at the top. I bought it on amazon
    08-30-2016 07:42 AM
    I have a Zagg tempered glass screen protector which I purchased from their store. I paid a lot more than if I had ordered it online. It lays flat, no halo. It doesn't cover the curve at the top, it stops short. I'm OK with that, it protects well and prevents all wear from my use. I have a free lifetime replacement warranty at no extra charge.
    08-31-2016 10:49 AM
    I have a tempered glass protector on mine. It covers well. It does not fit perfectly a little bit at the top and the bottom right corner due to the slight curve in the screen.

I did have a PET protector on it that fit perfectly but removed it to try the glass one. I will leave it on for now. I do like the glass one better. If it only fit a bit better.

I'll try to attach a photo to show how it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails LG G5 and Tempered Glass do not mix?-acc-2-doc-2335.jpg  
    09-05-2016 07:26 PM
    Here's a better shot.
    Attached Thumbnails LG G5 and Tempered Glass do not mix?-acc-2-doc-2336.jpg  
    09-05-2016 07:29 PM
    The forums app keeps breaking attachments! I can't see them! Lol
    09-05-2016 09:01 PM
    I had gotten a glass protector from Amazon (from Petrelstore) that covered the full screen, including the curved section above. It was working ok, but I removed it today, because I found the openings along the top (for camera lens, ear speaker, etc) are collecting dust, that was very hard to clean out. I really wouldn't want one that only covers the rectangular portion, either, so I guess I'll hope the Gorilla Glass does its job!
    09-06-2016 08:54 PM
    I have a Zagg tempered glass screen protector which I purchased from their store. I paid a lot more than if I had ordered it online. It lays flat, no halo. It doesn't cover the curve at the top, it stops short. I'm OK with that, it protects well and prevents all wear from my use. I have a free lifetime replacement warranty at no extra charge.
    I have the exact same one, pretty decent overall.

Something strange happened on my last flight, the edges actually started lifting while in flight, fortunately they eventually did come back down to their adhered position. Never seen this happen before... Will keep an eye if this keeps recurring!! Also, after having this G5 for more than a month, sincerely wish the glass covered the entire top to bottom surface and will likely start looking for such a screen protector.
    09-08-2016 10:54 PM
    Yup I Zagg tempered glass protector bottom right did not stick, tried a second one same thing. I bought a Maxcroo from amazon tempered glass, was ok but didn't seem to stick down no bubbles but did move around a little. So gave up using a case with built in screen protector.
    09-30-2016 06:35 PM
    Which case are you using my friend?
    10-08-2016 11:39 AM
    Which case are you using my friend?
    I really like the looks of this phone and want to go caseless but I can't let it get scratched. I dropped it the other day with no case on it. All's it did was take a small chip off the bottom left corner of my tempered glass screen protector. I was lucky. It could have been way worse. Stupid me! I put it back in the case right away.

I'm using a minimalistic clear case made of some kind of rubber or vinyl or something. It was about $7 from Amazon. I also bought a black one identical. One more thing... I applied a dBrand skin for every day use. It saves it from getting stuffed up and you can customize the look. I applied the black carbon fiber with blue around the camera.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with.
    10-10-2016 11:52 AM
    I really like the looks of this phone and want to go caseless but I can't let it get scratched. I dropped it the other day with no case on it. All's it did was take a small chip off the bottom left corner of my tempered glass screen protector. I was lucky. It could have been way worse. Stupid me! I put it back in the case right away.

I'm using a minimalistic clear case made of some kind of rubber or vinyl or something. It was about $7 from Amazon. I also bought a black one identical. One more thing... I applied a dBrand skin for every day use. It saves it from getting stuffed up and you can customize the look. I applied the black carbon fiber with blue around the camera.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with.
    Any pics of it to share?
    10-12-2016 03:12 AM
  20. Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo's Avatar
    i dont like the screen protectors they sell. They just don't work good.
    Im planning on this. But i don't know if its ok to use or if it works. anybody tried using a liquid skin protector.?
    10-13-2016 12:50 AM
    Any pics of it to share?
    Sure! The pics won't be that great. I am taking them with my Nexus 9.
    Attachment 242153Attachment 242154LG G5 and Tempered Glass do not mix?-5214.jpg
    Norg likes this.
    10-13-2016 07:39 AM
    i dont like the screen protectors they sell. They just don't work good.
    Im planning on this. But i don't know if its ok to use or if it works. anybody tried using a liquid skin protector.?
    I keep looking around every once in a while too, hoping something decent pops up soon.... Starting to dislike my current screen protector, have had it on since I got this baby, but it continues to rise and unstick along the side edges periodically. Has happened about 4-5 times now.
    10-14-2016 11:37 PM
    I use the LG G5 Screen Protector, Spigen® [Crystal Clear] Japanese Base PET Film Ultra Clear Screen Protector for LG G5 it works well, not glass. I bought 5 glass ones various companies including Zagg none worked good.
    ChrisS9938 likes this.
    02-20-2017 11:47 AM
    So I was one of the lucky people to receive my preorder quickly from T-Mobile and so far the device has been great.... except for one thing.

I've now gone through 2 different manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors (3 protectors total) and found an issue with this phone... I don't think the screen lays 100% flat to be able to take a tempered glass protector. Each and every one of them has had the same issue, where the bottom corners will not stay adhered. On top of that, one of the sides even slowly pulls away as it sits on the phone.

I'm writing partially as a potential warning and also to see if anyone else had the same results occur. At this point, I purchased some film type protectors instead. If it's a unique issue, then no worries otherwise, as the phone works great otherwise.
    Gadget Glass. I've had it on for a week, no peeling or loss of adhesion on the edges or corners. Sounds like an application issue. Make sure it's on evenly and straight.
    02-20-2017 12:44 PM
    It's not. I've had my G5 3 weeks, sent the first glass back since it was a brand I hadn't used and I assumed it was bad (It was bad), replaced it with Techarmor, a brand I've had on several phones and know works. Application was perfect, but the bottom right corner has never adhered and there is a halo along the bottom. Friend with a G5 has the same issue. Just decided to live with it for a while.
    06-02-2017 09:32 PM
27 12