04-12-2016 09:38 PM
33 12
tools
    if it is better then im buyin the lg g 5
    04-02-2016 06:38 PM
    You could argue either side, the s7 has the fastest auto focus and is extremely good quality. However the g5 is probably just as good in quality but also allows for the cool wide angle shots which people are raving about. Is speed or feature more important to you?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2016 07:09 PM
    This is a bit of a tricky question to answer. S7 speed of focus, quality of shot without any special requirement etc and their lowlight is nearly unmatched. From the g5 reviews floating around, its a capable shooter but not in the same boat as the s7
    04-03-2016 04:44 AM
    Cool wide angle shots. Let me see how much I care about that .... Lol
    04-03-2016 03:30 PM
    Hard to call really. I think in bright day light situations, they'd be pretty comparable, maybe with the G5 having a slight edge due to its higher resolution, so shots should be more resolved and have the ability to zoom in further.

However in low light, I think the S7 would take better photos due to the larger sensor.

The G5 also has a wide-angle lens which could be useful in certain situations.
    Cakefish likes this.
    04-03-2016 07:39 PM
    Hard to call really. I think in bright day light situations, they'd be pretty comparable, maybe with the G5 having a slight edge due to its higher resolution, so shots should be more resolved and have the ability to zoom in further.

However in low light, I think the S7 would take better photos due to the larger sensor.

The G5 also has a wide-angle lens which could be useful in certain situations.
    The difference in details in more a function of the field of view, not the resolution of the camera. If you crop a 16:9 16MP camera to 4:3, the image size is 12MP. But the G5 is framed on a slightly smaller image, leading to the perception that it has better detail.

If have to get my hands on a G5 to be sure, but my wife had a G4, which has the exact same sensor/lens rig of the G5.. And in terms of absolute picture quality, both the S7 and 6P (of which I own both) are better that the G4... Bright or dark. The G4 pics were much more heavily processed, which look great on a small screen but not as good when, say, added to a printed album. I expect the G5 to be essentially the same.

Now, that wide angle lens adds value, of course. But I think that those shots will only account for a limited percentage.

I think it was a little bit of a lost opportunity that they stuck with an older main camera. Now, it'll still be a really good camera, but it could have really excelled.
    Primo Myth likes this.
    04-03-2016 08:57 PM
    Although camera quality had some influence in my decision, in a battle where the cameras are close it is not the deciding factor for me. When it comes to photos and videos using a phone to get the job done is just convenience.

04-03-2016 10:45 PM
    That depends.

Both are pretty comparable in daylight, with software processing being the biggest differentiator. The S7 favors slightly higher saturation while the G5 tends to favor sharpening.

When it comes to low-light, the larger pixels and wider aperture of the S7 makes it the superior shooter. The G5 is no slouch in that department, but the S7 does shoot some pretty good low-light pics.

The big differentiator between the 2 is that the G5 has an extra 8MP sensor with a wide-angle lens, which can be useful for large group shots and even some landscape shots. I don't find the use case to be frequent enough to really call it a "must-have", but it's a nice novelty. The S7 has a dual-pixel autofocus system that results in ludicrous autofocus speeds. Like, it's really fast. It's ready the moment you press the shutter.

My ultimate suggestion is to try both of them out and see which one you like best.
    nokia4life and Primo Myth like this.
    04-04-2016 12:59 AM
    I don't find the use case to be frequent enough to really call it a "must-have", but it's a nice novelty. The S7 has a dual-pixel autofocus system that results in ludicrous autofocus speeds. Like, it's really fast. It's ready the moment you press the shutter.

My ultimate suggestion is to try both of them out and see which one you like best.
    QFT... This is where we are at now... In terms of quality, you're going to get something good out of all of these phones. My criticisms with the G5's camera are not "The pics stink"... It's basically looking at the photos at a really focused, deep level and making objective hyper-critical comments. We're not asking "which one of these phones takes good pictures?", we're asking "which one of these phones takes the best pictures?"

I'm lucky at least to have had the chance to use a lot of these phones personally. I am always a bit wary of reviews since I don't know exactly how everything was tested, etc. There are a few photography-centric sites that do reviews out there, like DXOMark, and I tend to give those a lot more credibility than JoeyFastPhone34 on Youtube.
    04-04-2016 09:43 AM
    QFT... This is where we are at now... In terms of quality, you're going to get something good out of all of these phones. My criticisms with the G5's camera are not "The pics stink"... It's basically looking at the photos at a really focused, deep level and making objective hyper-critical comments. We're not asking "which one of these phones takes good pictures?", we're asking "which one of these phones takes the best pictures?"

I'm lucky at least to have had the chance to use a lot of these phones personally. I am always a bit wary of reviews since I don't know exactly how everything was tested, etc. There are a few photography-centric sites that do reviews out there, like DXOMark, and I tend to give those a lot more credibility than JoeyFastPhone34 on Youtube.
    I usually go to websites like Anandtech and others who do really detailed reviews and tests on devices, especially their cameras. I don't judge a camera's performance by their reviews, but they do give me a general idea of how it will perform. Obviously, the real test is using them yourself and seeing how each behaves.

And I agree with you. At the general level, both the S7 and G5 will take pretty good shots. In fact, it's the less-obvious stuff like how each phone processes the images, autofocus speed and stabilization technique that sets them apart. And let's not forget the all-important camera app.
    04-04-2016 09:53 AM
    The basic truth is that either phone will be more than adequate for the day to day photos that 99% of the general public will use them for, period, end of story. I guess I truly just don't understand all the hang ups about every little spec, feature, etc.... on all these high end phones. We are reaching a point with mobile devices, where features and performance are almost universal/identical across the board and it honestly comes down to personal preference.
    04-04-2016 11:35 AM
    I guess I truly just don't understand all the hang ups about every little spec, feature, etc...
    That's the point! I mean, there was (still is) a lengthy debate over the usefulness of a cross-guard lightsaber.

It's the Internet! Arguing over minutia is our raison d'etre.
    Robynsnest likes this.
    04-04-2016 01:18 PM
    A sad testament of the state of the world we live in....
    04-04-2016 01:33 PM
    I haven't had my hands on an S7 to compare but my experience so far with the G5 has been great. Its better than the G4 was and that was already fantastic.

Ive got young kids and I've been able to snap photos quick, focused, and accurately without fail.

When you get into the cameras at the S7/G5 level, it's really more about the rest of the phone, IMO. During the last set of flagships, I JUMPed from a M9 to a G4 because that camera (M9) had all the focus of an ADHD kid on November 1st. I went a week missing shot after shot and got rid of it.

With the performance of this phone and the S7, remember you still will be using the phone for other things.
    04-04-2016 05:46 PM
    A sad testament of the state of the world we live in....
    Yep,I`d rather argue these points over a couple of pints in a decent pub to be fair.
    04-04-2016 06:00 PM
    Yep,I`d rather argue these points over a couple of pints in a decent pub to be fair.
    Amen
    04-04-2016 06:07 PM
    Super Saf does great phone camera comparisons:

Robynsnest, sswitzer and kaienish like this.
    04-05-2016 07:11 AM

''For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn"
    04-05-2016 05:55 PM
    Amen
    There's nothing really to argue over anymore. All flagship phones now seem to have excellent camera's. Even Nexus phones now have great cameras. So it's just nit picking nowadays IMO.
    04-05-2016 06:00 PM
    ''For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn"
    OK... I'm going to have to ban you for citing Jane Austen. That's WAY too cultured for this joint.
    04-05-2016 07:00 PM
    OK... I'm going to have to ban you for citing Jane Austen. That's WAY too cultured for this joint.
    hahaha I can't help it, lines pop in my head and I blurt them out. It's very inconvenient at work. Usually it's a movie line so I'm not always cultured. LOL!
    04-05-2016 07:03 PM
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g5_vs_sam...eview-1420.php
    Here is their conclusion " So with the 1080p videos and the indoor shot aside, the LG G5 consistently won over the Galaxy S7 edge, so if we are to pick a winner for this low-light shootout - it has got to be the G5, though not by a large margin. Once again, though, both phones are very well equipped to handle any low-light situation you may decide to shoot, so you won't be disappointed by either of them."

sswitzer likes this.
    04-05-2016 09:23 PM
    The problem I have with the GSMArena comparison is that most shots were taken with a tripod (so much so that they specifically call out the non-tripod shots). G5 wins in all the tripod shots but S7 wins in all the handheld shots. I think most smartphone users don't use tripods when they take photos so I question the results of their comparison in relation to how I usually use my phone to take photos.
    04-06-2016 12:01 AM
    Amen
    I say lets do it I am down anyone in Texas? Meet up drink and talk smartphone hell we may end up the next big thing in podcast and it started here.
    04-06-2016 02:30 AM
    Amen
    As long as it's not Budweiser or Coors light

04-06-2016 04:42 AM
33 12