G5 better than the G4? List reasons how?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You don't disagree, you just don't understand. I'm not saying it is like stock android, I'm saying it is closer to stock Android than what the previous LG UX was.

I got that. I meant it in terms of material design. But sorry if you got offended or upset. Sorry man! I'm a bit dumb.

Peace!

Posted via the Android Central App

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
What's really the big deal with no app drawer? I simply dumped all the apps I rarely use in one folder on my home screen.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
What's really the big deal with no app drawer? I simply dumped all the apps I rarely use in one folder on my home screen.

Ask people who have hundreds and hundreds of apps.

But you can easily switch launchers.

Last edited:

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You can ask the same question about the S7 vs the S6, or the iPhone 6 vs the iPhone 6S. All of last year's flag ships were excellent. We're not going to see huge changes anymore. The 820 Snapdragon processor and fingerprint scanner make a big difference in the user experience to me. With the free 360 camera and extra battery I thought the G5 is a better value than the latest from Apple and Sammy. I had the G4 and think it's worth the price difference. The main question that matters is it worth the extra dollars to you?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
You can ask the same question about the S7 vs the S6, or the iPhone 6 vs the iPhone 6S. All of last year's flag ships were excellent. We're not going to see huge changes anymore. The 820 Snapdragon processor and fingerprint scanner make a big difference in the user experience to me. With the free 360 camera and extra battery I thought the G5 is a better value than the latest from Apple and Sammy. I had the G4 and think it's worth the price difference. The main question that matters is it worth the extra dollars to you?

You can get the 360 camera and battery with the G4 and use it as well?

Look I agree with all of what you said. And I did mention that I feel the same way about the S7 and the S6.

But I have kept my opinion out of it till now. But in my opinion the G5 isn't a upgrade at all.

The screen is same.
The UI in my opinion has gotten worse with the dated aesthetics of icons. I think the square flat icons were more modern. Because that's what modern graphics are all about. Simple and coherent.
The battery life is the same. With the same option to replace it.
The camera has an extra feature which is great but totally unnecessary for the average consumer.
The phone is highly Under-designed. It either looks overdone or undone I can't figure what. The G4 had better aesthetics plus better screen to body ratio.

The only thing LG included which was absent in the G4 is the fingerprint scanner. Which is welcomed change.

Again. It's all subjective. And I know you don't care. And I know you all think I'm hating on LG. But I'm not. I love the G2 G3 G4 and the V10. I've used the G2 and the G4 myself. But as an LG fan and a fan of technology in general, the G5 is a half baked product.

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I like the new widgets in UX 5. I keep switching up launchers to see which is actually more intuitive over time instead of just bailing because of the app drawer scenario. UX 4.0 is OK as well nice to see them update it so it's not an exact copy if what was on the G3/G4.

Vin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Good question. I wasn't sure and did some research. It looks like the Audi MMI system does in fact support AptX. There are a lot of forums with people with older versions of the MMI than mine with sound quality issues.

Like you said, if the G4 had it as well, there stands to reason it also should have sounded good. One of these days I'll have to do a back to back comparison.

Thanks for the help.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You can get the 360 camera and battery with the G4 and use it as well?

Look I agree with all of what you said. And I did mention that I feel the same way about the S7 and the S6.

But I have kept my opinion out of it till now. But in my opinion the G5 isn't a upgrade at all.

The screen is same.
The UI in my opinion has gotten worse with the dated aesthetics of icons. I think the square flat icons were more modern. Because that's what modern graphics are all about. Simple and coherent.
The battery life is the same. With the same option to replace it.
The camera has an extra feature which is great but totally unnecessary for the average consumer.
The phone is highly Under-designed. It either looks overdone or undone I can't figure what. The G4 had better aesthetics plus better screen to body ratio.

The only thing LG included which was absent in the G4 is the fingerprint scanner. Which is welcomed change.

Again. It's all subjective. And I know you don't care. And I know you all think I'm hating on LG. But I'm not. I love the G2 G3 G4 and the V10. I've used the G2 and the G4 myself. But as an LG fan and a fan of technology in general, the G5 is a half baked product.

I agree with you here on all points.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

lorul2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I never really used a G4 (upgraded from a Nexus 4 so I was over due). I just find it interesting that no one mentioned USB 3.0, Fast Charging etc. I know they both have replaceable batteries but I'm sure the G5 can do it faster. How a bout the front facing 8 Meg selfie cam does the G4 have that too? How does the speaker sound I agree with some reviews it may be the best mono speaker on any flagship phone this year. BTW how much free stuff did you get when you bought the G4 just asking? An extra battery and a 360 CAM included with my purchase of a phone, I couldn't pass up that deal.

Ultimately, I'm happy with my purchase! If I never get a module "GREAT", if I do get one "AWESOME" either way I am happy with the direction LG went with this phone now and in the future.
You should be happy with whatever phone you choose.
I'm not sure you need someone to convince you or you wanted the debate.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I never really used a G4 (upgraded from a Nexus 4 so I was over due). I just find it interesting that no one mentioned USB 3.0, Fast Charging etc. I know they both have replaceable batteries but I'm sure the G5 can do it faster. How a bout the front facing 8 Meg selfie cam does the G4 have that too? How does the speaker sound I agree with some reviews it may be the best mono speaker on any flagship phone this year. BTW how much free stuff did you get when you bought the G4 just asking? An extra battery and a 360 CAM included with my purchase of a phone, I couldn't pass up that deal.

Ultimately, I'm happy with my purchase! If I never get a module "GREAT", if I do get one "AWESOME" either way I am happy with the direction LG went with this phone now and in the future.

You're right. The fast charging feature is a plus for the G5. And so is the speaker. And the G5 might be a better phone than the G4.

But the question I asked was in reference with today. What you're getting for your money, today!

Money to quality ratio.

If you don't care about money then it's fine. You might as well get all phones.

And you have to understand that manufacturers do care about what their audiences think and have to say about their phones. And this is a forum which provides people just that opportunity. So? Yes. I was concerned and I wanted to create a dialogue in order to learn myself better the pros and cons of the two models.

By now I have
Front facing camera
Finger print scanner
Better speaker
Overall speed

And again. I'm not hating on LG. I'm just concerned about the product.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Money to quality is pretty subjective. Basically, since most major phones these days are good, the value of upgrading is in what's important to you.

I saw absolutely nothing in the G4 that made me want to upgrade from a G3, clearly some people did. Doesn't mean the G4 wasn't better, just not in a way that compelled me to buy it.

Unless you hate the design, is hard to not say the G5 is better than a G4. So really, it's if the improvements are things that are important to you and at a scale that registers for you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the new widgets in UX 5. I keep switching up launchers to see which is actually more intuitive over time instead of just bailing because of the app drawer scenario. UX 4.0 is OK as well nice to see them update it so it's not an exact copy if what was on the G3/G4.

I sort of fine without the app drawer since you can sort the apps alphabetically past the main screen. I also swap to US 4.0 and its ok.... Just wondering what we lose by using 4.0

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

If you did your homework you would know that the G5 has the same 8mp front facing selfie cam from the G4. In fact it probably has the same speaker from the G4 but it sounds louder because it's down firing. The G4 speaker is VERY loud. For me I'd be losing screen size and multiple back choices and gaining larger bezels and a fingerprint scanner. Not worth it. But to each his own. If I set both of these phones next to each other and asked a non tech savvy person to pick the flagship phone, most would pick the G4. G5 just doesn't look the part.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If I set both of these phones next to each other and asked a non tech savvy person to pick the flagship phone, most would pick the G4. G5 just doesn't look the part.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

That's a fairly large assumption. In fact the reason everyone is moving towards metal bodies is because that's what people associate with premium. I'm actually with you I loved the curved leather back and miss it but the trend is towards metal unibody because that's where the marketing analysis suggests they need to be.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The G5 isn't an upgrade at all? Plain stupidity. Look at the performance difference between the Snapdragon 808 and 820. How anyone can say its not an upgrade isn't basing that on fact.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
That's a fairly large assumption. In fact the reason everyone is moving towards metal bodies is because that's what people associate with premium. I'm actually with you I loved the curved leather back and miss it but the trend is towards metal unibody because that's where the marketing analysis suggests they need to be.

Yeah the people crying about "premium" metal are the ones slapping cheap plastic cases on it. And If you go into a store and handle this phone you can't tell it's metal. Feels and sounds more plastic than my G4 to me.
I'm an LG fan and I hope the G5 is successful, and if it is, kudos to LG for taking a risk, but for me I'm not impressed.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The G5 isn't an upgrade at all? Plain stupidity. Look at the performance difference between the Snapdragon 808 and 820. How anyone can say its not an upgrade isn't basing that on fact.

Nobody says that. Nobody said that. Read all the views before calling anyone stupid please thank you.

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah the people crying about "premium" metal are the ones slapping cheap plastic cases on it.

Yup. And it makes a lot of the arguments against the new material and fine construction moot at that point. The G4 was the first phone I really felt comfortable using without a case and this is a step backward in that regard.

It was one of the things that made me worried about the S7E... So much glass and how do you effectively make a case for that shape? I love gorilla glass but one drop... What's the point of such pristine engineering with man made chips, nicks, scratches, or cracks.

Invariably I always drop my phone on that one segment of parking lot that's made of 9H material.