G5 better than the G4? List reasons how?

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Just started reading the manual. First time I've heard of the RGB sensor in the camera array.

Posted via the Android Central App

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Nobody says that. Nobody said that. Read all the views before calling anyone stupid please thank you.

Actually, you did. "But I have kept my opinion out of it till now. But in my opinion the G5 isn't a upgrade at all."

You misunderstood. I wasn't calling you stupid, just the idea that the G5 isn't a upgrade at all is a stupid statement. I go through a lot of phones and the G5 is as fast, smooth, and bug free as any of them, including the S7. It has a top of the line processor and 4 GB of RAM. The G4 doesn't. Do you know why people are willing to pay more for a Mustang GT vs the base Mustang? It's all about performance.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually, you did. "But I have kept my opinion out of it till now. But in my opinion the G5 isn't a upgrade at all."

You misunderstood. I wasn't calling you stupid, just the idea that the G5 isn't a upgrade at all is a stupid statement. I go through a lot of phones and the G5 is as fast, smooth, and bug free as any of them, including the S7. It has a top of the line processor and 4 GB of RAM. The G4 doesn't. Do you know why people are willing to pay more for a Mustang GT vs the base Mustang? It's all about performance.

You're right on that. But do read the other comments as well? That was my own subjective opinion. But objectively I've agreed to it being faster and many more things a number of times in this same thread.

Again. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm taking price into account. And again, with the price you're paying for it the package you're getting doesn't seem to be on par with the rest of the industry.

The "extra" features which LG provide should've been made part of the product itself. For example, if battery was a problem, they should've worked to making it last 2 days. Sony did it. Motorola did it. The iPhone 6 plus did it. S7 edge is going towards it. The solution could've been a part of the product whether you agree or disagree.

The camera module; the most easy solution is what lumia and Sony did with their phones. A dedicated two stage button. It's been done before. And it was part of the product. Not an extra feature.

Audio module. I mean come on. They could've put high definition audio inside the G5. V10 did it. Htc does it.

If they did pack all of these features inside the phone, their design would've been much better. As well as this phone would've been THE best phone out there.

It's good that they're trying something different. But to start thinking out of the box you need to know fully what's inside it first.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't care if a phone it's an upgrade or not really. Most of the high phones do the job rather well and its just a question of which you want and are willing to give up. Be happy with your choices regardless of what others think.

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
From a business perspective, they have to balance what features they add with making a profit. They're playing in a Sammy and Apple world and it's a brutal one. They probably won't make much profit on the G5 either unless their modules sale well. I don't think they will but I have to give them credit for trying something different. What they were doing wasn't working and that's with putting out an excellent G4 and V10.

I go through a lot of phones. This year, I've had the LG V10, Galaxy S7, Nexus 6P and now the LG G5. I was surprised how nice this phone is. As I've said the performance is outstanding, the camera adds some nice features, and it's pretty easy to carry around. I don't understand why it's getting so much bad press.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Mostly because it's being aesthetically compared to other devices. I put my devices in cases so functionality is my main concern.

One thing that's really interesting and I've been seeing a lot in the reviews lately.

This.

The design of the LG is bad. I don't care I put my phones into cases and skins anyways.

The UI isn't nice. I don't care I use Nova launcher or Google now launcher on my phone anyways.

So if your phone needs to be covered externally AND internally, there MUST be something LG'S doing wrong.

I've seen many people making this argument. And honestly, with the price you're paying you shouldn't have to do this.

Any thing that's left of it after covering up the hardware and the software is the removable battery feature and the cameras. If you want to pay $600 above for those two features then I can't say anything. I mean the camera is worth it. I think it's the best one out there right now. But for everything else... I don't know.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing that's really interesting and I've been seeing a lot in the reviews lately.

This.

The design of the LG is bad. I don't care I put my phones into cases and skins anyways.

The UI isn't nice. I don't care I use Nova launcher or Google now launcher on my phone anyways.

So if your phone needs to be covered externally AND internally, there MUST be something LG'S doing wrong.

I've seen many people making this argument. And honestly, with the price you're paying you shouldn't have to do this.

Any thing that's left of it after covering up the hardware and the software is the removable battery feature and the cameras. If you want to pay $600 above for those two features then I can't say anything. I mean the camera is worth it. I think it's the best one out there right now. But for everything else... I don't know.

I would not use S7 edge or most of the current high phones without a case either. My last phone the droid maxx went without a case and is s in perfect shape however that phone was built to take some punishment. Dropped it several times and never a problem.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I would not use S7 edge or most of the current high phones without a case either. My last phone the droid maxx went without a case and is s in perfect shape however that phone was built to take some punishment. Dropped it several times and never a problem.

I wouldn't either. But you would put the case on it for grip and function. Not to cover up the design.

Having said that I think from the durability point of view the LG G5 isn't a sturdy phone. Very susceptible to scratches and paint damage. So you have to cover it up either way.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

This.

Some people like the design or how it feels on hand. Some people, hold onto something here, are not particularly moved by Samsung or Apples designs.

I actually like the exterior finish feel, I like the groove that lets me pick it up off the table and I've become fond of the robot face of a camera setup. That last part gives it a bit of character.

I don't have a gap or any noticeable backlight bleed. Did not run any tests for bleed but i haven't noticed it in the week i have had it, so pretty sure i won't going forward.

Software thing, wouldn't bother me because part of the fun of android is customizing. Still, you can just switch to the previous LG home. So taking that into account, you have 3 options from LG.

That doesn't mean a lot to someone else though since most of it is subjective.

Really though, you can take this pretty far...my G3 had no issues and fully updated Android...so is that the even cheaper phone people should buy?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Some people like the design or how it feels on hand. Some people, hold onto something here, are not particularly moved by Samsung or Apples designs.

I actually like the exterior finish feel, I like the groove that lets me pick it up off the table and I've become fond of the robot face of a camera setup. That last part gives it a bit of character.

I don't have a gap or any noticeable backlight bleed. Did not run any tests for bleed but i haven't noticed it in the week i have had it, so pretty sure i won't going forward.

Software thing, wouldn't bother me because part of the fun of android is customizing. Still, you can just switch to the previous LG home. So taking that into account, you have 3 options from LG.

That doesn't mean a lot to someone else though since most of it is subjective.

Really though, you can take this pretty far...my G3 had no issues and fully updated Android...so is that the even cheaper phone people should buy?

No I wasn't talking about people who actually like the design. I'm talking about who don't. It's good that you like it. And every design eventually grows on us.

I was just talking about the people (mostly reviewers) who are mentioning these two tactics to make the G5 experience better. Its just interesting to me I don't know why.

And yes. You can and you SHOULD take it far enough to save money if money is an issue. Not everyone can afford the latest and the greatest. And not many countries provide monthly plans. So it's good to have this debate.

But in talking about G3 and G4 I think the G4 has an excellent excellent camera which is the same as the G5. And the screen is also the same as the G5. So the G3 kiiiind of falls behind in that aspect. Otherwise I think it's a good phone too for the price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463