G5 better than the G4? List reasons how?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
How is the G5 any different from the G4? Apart from the design, I can't think of any thing which sets it apart from the G4.

The reason I'm asking is not to hate on the G5. But if I want to get an LG phone today, keeping price in mind, what would be the best phone to get? The G5 or the G4?

Objectively, the G5 is exactly the same phone as the G4. Besides the obvious bump in processor.

Which one should I get?

Is the screen better?
Is the design better?
Is the UI better?
Is the camera better?
Is the sound better?
Is the battery life better?
What does the G5 have that is worth spending more money than the G4. Which I think is a very good phone, still.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How is the G5 any different from the G4? Apart from the design, I can't think of any thing which sets it apart from the G4.

The reason I'm asking is not to hate on the G5. But if I want to get an LG phone today, keeping price in mind, what would be the best phone to get? The G5 or the G4?

Objectively, the G5 is exactly the same phone as the G4. Besides the obvious bump in processor.

Which one should I get?

Is the screen better?
Is the design better?
Is the UI better?
Is the camera better?
Is the sound better?
What does the G5 have that is worth spending more money than the G4. Which I think is a very good phone, still.

The screen is smaller on the G5 so pixel density is higher but probably not noticeable.

Design better? That's debatable and depends on what you like.

They UI is supposedly improved but the app drawer was eliminated but you change but then the UI loses some minor features. Or you can download LG home 4.0 dio I'm gonna say that the UI is about the same

Cameras are similar but the wide angle dual camera is interesting. The autofocus uses a different system.

I don't know if the sound is different but you can change the module.

The battery is slightly lower capacity however rated slightly better due to a more efficient processor.

I liked the finger print scanner.

I went with the G5 primarily:

Newer model
Removable battery
Expandable memory

I liked the idea of expansion capabilities, however that remains to be seen as to how that plays out.

As far as cost I got the promo with charging cradle, extra battery and 360 camera so that's approximately 300 dollars worth of extras though I might not have purchased the 360 camera if I had to pay for it. It should be fun to play with.

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
We have both the G4 and the G5.

Things I like better about the G4: Curved design. Volume rocker on the rear. Leather back. Ability to replace said back.

Things I like better about the G5: Dual camera system, more options for interesting views using those two lenses in concert. Fingerprint scanner, didn't think I wanted one till one appeared on the back of the G5. Always listening OK google option, game changer in the kitchen for doing quick conversions and calculations with messy hands. Performance, perhaps it's because it's a new phone but the G5 doesn't hesitate or hiccup, the G4 will from time to time. It's just faster at doing everything. Curved top screen, don't know why that little detail is so nice but every time I open the notification and settings window I love the feature. I'm also quite interested in the camera grip for more battery and physical controls but it's hard to list something as a plus that you haven't used quite yet.

Are the differences worth $300+ ? Certainly YMMV on that one. Personally I've absorbed the $25/month that I pay on a handset into my life so it really doesn't change much for me since I'll trade in a phone as soon as it becomes eligible on the NXT plan for ATT.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Which one should I get?

Is the screen better?
Is the design better?
Is the UI better?
Is the camera better?
Is the sound better?

Screen--No. Smaller also.
Design--That's personal preference but in my opinion moving volume buttons to the side is a step backwards. Don't understand the slope on the top of the display. Strange looking camera lens layout. So for me...No.
UI--I use Buzz launcher so that doesn't matter to me, but if you use it the app drawer is no longer there......so No.
Camera--No. Same camera with the addition of a wide angle lens. With practice you can get similar results with the panoramic mode.
Battery--No. Smaller than G4 battery. If you're lucky you will get battery life as good as G4 but probably not better.
G5 has "friends".
G4 is a very good phone. That's why I'm keeping it.

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Which one should I get?

Is the screen better?
Is the design better?
Is the UI better?
Is the camera better?
Is the sound better?

To me, the G5 is leaps and bounds better than the G4. So much better in fact.

The UI is better, no more lag. The G4 had some annoying lag.

Not sure about the displays.

The UI is light-years better, much more fluid.

Better speaker

I had the G4 and it had some severe touchscreen issues, had some overheating issues and battery life was trash. To me the G4 was a really bad experience. The G5 is decent.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Design--That's personal preference but in my opinion moving volume buttons to the side is a step backwards. Don't understand the slope on the top of the display. Strange looking camera lens layout. So for me...No.
UI--I use Buzz launcher so that doesn't matter to me, but if you use it the app drawer is no longer there......so No.
Camera--No. Same camera with the addition of a wide angle lens. With practice you can get similar results with the panoramic mode.
Battery--No. Smaller than G4 battery. If you're lucky you will get battery life as good as G4 but probably not better.
G5 has "friends".

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

A couple of the reviews state that the G5 lasts 1hr longer because of the processor but I'm calling that a tie but advantage G5 because as the battery ages you can replace it.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
To me, the G5 is leaps and bounds better than the G4. So much better in fact.

The UI is better, no more lag. The G4 had some annoying lag.

Not sure about the displays.

The UI is light-years better, much more fluid.

Better speaker

I had the G4 and it had some severe touchscreen issues, had some overheating issues and battery life was trash. To me the G4 was a really bad experience. The G5 is decent.

That was to be expected. The speed should've improved.

But has the UI itself improved as well?

Till now we've gotten. Better speed. That's good that's good. But is that good enough?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
G5 has "friends".

NitroHD G2 G3 G4

I'm sorry everyone but I'm kind of leaning towards agreeing with this person. Throw in the price tag and the G4 sounds too good to resist.

Well I guess a fingerprint scanner IS a big deal. So that gives the G5 some edge. I think it's an important feature.

Faster UI and a finger print scanner is what the G5 has over the G4. Till now.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That was to be expected. The speed should've improved.

But has the UI itself improved as well?

Till now we've gotten. Better speed. That's good that's good. But is that good enough?

You do realize that it's all subjective? For me yes the UI has improved big time.

Vin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
We have both the G4 and the G5.

Things I like better about the G4: Curved design. Volume rocker on the rear. Leather back. Ability to replace said back.

Things I like better about the G5: Dual camera system, more options for interesting views using those two lenses in concert. Fingerprint scanner, didn't think I wanted one till one appeared on the back of the G5. Always listening OK google option, game changer in the kitchen for doing quick conversions and calculations with messy hands. Performance, perhaps it's because it's a new phone but the G5 doesn't hesitate or hiccup, the G4 will from time to time. It's just faster at doing everything. Curved top screen, don't know why that little detail is so nice but every time I open the notification and settings window I love the feature. I'm also quite interested in the camera grip for more battery and physical controls but it's hard to list something as a plus that you haven't used quite yet.

Are the differences worth $300+ ? Certainly YMMV on that one. Personally I've absorbed the $25/month that I pay on a handset into my life so it really doesn't change much for me since I'll trade in a phone as soon as it becomes eligible on the NXT plan for ATT.

I agree with pretty much everything this person said. I also didn't think I wanted a fingerprint reader till I got it on the G5. Great stuff there. I kinda don't like the click sound when pressing the button, but that is a very minor nit pick. I love the fact that the G4 sits flat on a table instead of my leather G4, that rocked back and forth. On the other hand the leather was cool because I cared less about setting the phone down on a surface that might scratch the "metal" back of the G5. So six in one hand, half dozen in the other...

One thing that I don't think I've seen anywhere is the improved audio quality. Specifically over bluetooth. Yes it has a better internal DAC than the G4 (however not as good as the V10). I use my Bose QC20 in ear headphones and it sounds good (better when used with an EQ app). But where I really notice a HUGE difference is in my car over bluetooth. Night and day difference. Am I crazy or is that actually the case??

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I don't think I've seen anywhere is the improved audio quality. Specifically over bluetooth. Yes it has a better internal DAC than the G4 (however not as good as the V10). I use my Bose QC20 in ear headphones and it sounds good (better when used with an EQ app). But where I really notice a HUGE difference is in my car over bluetooth. Night and day difference. Am I crazy or is that actually the case??

Does your car support AptX over bluetooth?? If so, perhaps your G5 may be implementing it (or just better) than your G4. The G4 DOES support AptX though so I'm not sure why it wouldn't sound as good as the G5 over bluetooth. Perhaps your G4 isn't implementing the aptX codec in your car??

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean how? It's a matter of preference. When the UI is smoother and faster it usually means the user experience has improved. Who wants a slower experience?

Yes that's what I was asking. I did mention the speed of the UI is better. And I agree. But the UI itself? Have they improved on the aesthetics or the layout or the contents of it too?

I'd say this. I agree with you on it being faster equivalent to it being better. And after all its android you can do anything with it in terms of UI. And I saw one review mentioning the availability of themes too.

Till now I think we have

Faster speeds all around
Always on display
A wide angle camera
and a fingerprint scanner
Which are of course major improvements

But the point of this thread was to really dig deep into the question of whether it's a worthy upgrade?

For comparison, I don't think the S7 is worth selling the S6.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's what I was asking. I did mention the speed of the UI is better. And I agree. But the UI itself? Have they improved on the aesthetics or the layout or the contents of it too?

It looks much cleaner and closer to stick Android. I don't own the phone though.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hahahaha you know there's no app drawer right? It's anything but close to stock android
Everyone knows there's no app drawer.

Still without the app drawer it is closer to stock Android than any other version of LG'S UI that came before. From the animations to the smoothness to the UI itself. It's basically stock Android with LG'S colors and some features.

Last edited:

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Everyone knows there's no app drawer.

Still without the app drawer it is closer to stock Android than any other version of LG'S UI that came before. From the animations to the smoothness to the UI itself. It's basically stock Android with LG'S colors and some features.

Fair enough.

Although I have to disagree just a little bit. Stock android is a whole other experience. In my opinion. Unlike any OEM skin.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough.

Although I have to disagree just a little bit. Stock android is a whole other experience. In my opinion. Unlike any OEM skin.

You don't disagree, you just don't understand. I'm not saying it is like stock android, I'm saying it is closer to stock Android than what the previous LG UX was.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon