Does the LG G5 have an fm radio?

A

AC Question

I thought I saw it listed as a feature but can find nothing. I have plugged in earbuds but nothing shows up in the music player options for radio.

So if there is a fm radio, where is it located and how do I access it. Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It may depend on your carrier, if you got a carrier variant. They may have removed that feature. They can't remove the physical radio, but they can remove the app that accesses it. However there are radio tuner apps on Play. Next Radio is pretty popular and should be supported for your device.

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Some carriers also have it physically disconnected. I know I've had a few phones that came with FM capabilities that even when rooted and flagged on the FM was non functional. I think European models have to include them... but that's a fuzzy memory at the end of a long work day.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought I saw it listed as a feature but can find nothing. I have plugged in earbuds but nothing shows up in the music player options for radio.

So if there is a fm radio, where is it located and how do I access it. Thank you.

I don't understand why carriers disable FM

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Probably so you use data for streaming music.

Exactly this. It's pretty crummy of them. Would love to listen to the ballgame at the park in real time rather than on a delay.

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Mine has it but you have to connect headphones to act as an antenna. I doubt I'll ever use it.

I'm just glad I don't live in US with the terrible policies, contracts, and bloatware of US carriers. My carrier only installed some amazon apps as bloatware and nothing else. The phone is how it should be despite being on a contract.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
FM radio is something I really miss on phones. Living in tornado prone areas FM is a nice fallback for weather conditions if data goes out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My droid X had and a software upgrade took it away.....never used it much but it's just not right that carriers disable it. I pay full price for my phone.

Umzling

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I forgot to mention I am on Verizon and Next doesn't work "Next Radio doesn't have access to the FM radio receiver on your device."

So I looked for others and discovered Slacker is installed. But it isn't a fm radio. I can't get a local npr station. I give up. I don't listen that often only when jogging. Thanks.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to mention I am on Verizon and Next doesn't work "Next Radio doesn't have access to the FM radio receiver on your device."

So I looked for others and discovered Slacker is installed. But it isn't a fm radio. I can't get a local npr station. I give up. I don't listen that often only when jogging. Thanks.

Yup..... Verizon disabled it. I Heart radio is pretty good. They stream some FM and you can build your own with minimal ads.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've discussed this issue in other threads. It is something that consumers should be downright ticked about. Someone mentioned tornados above. The fact is that a radio can save your life. To be actively disabled by carriers to generate revenue is a crime.

http://freeradioonmyphone.org/take-action/

Sent from my LG G4

Especially when you buy a phone outright.....it's your phone and they should not have the right to control what works and what's installed.

Me_too_1407

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Have an Unlocked LG G5. I thought the same thing. Just called LG Customer Support. They said there is no radio in the LG G5 Unlocked phone.
So it's not a carrier issue in this case. Big disappointment 'cause that was one reason I went with this over the Samsung. I need to read those specs more carefully. Bummer.

asikis

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
LG G5 (S820) has FM Radio feature enabled in Europe with dedicated FM application. I do not own a G5 but have tested the FM radio on Media Markt reseller with my Sony head phones and worked great. I am also an FM radio lover and FM radio is a MUST for me.
Too bad that in US they remove the function although existing in HW. But again I am reading in other forums that FM radio has been activated afterwards for many US handsets like Samsung or HTC etc. And there is, in US, a big campaign to enable FM radio on all smartphones (including Apple iPhones).

asikis

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
In the UK at least, there is an "FM radio" app included. It looks like this.... Works really well actually.
View attachment 238038
Thanks Tabberkev. Since you have the device can you please answer me some FM related questions I have:
1. Does the handsfree button work to go forward and back the stations with double or triple click? If yes, doe sit also work whne screen is locked?
2. I have an HTC A9 now and I have issues with FM radio. I start the app, listening for few minutes (either headphones or speaker) and suddenly the sound stops coming out although the FM app still running. And I have to get in the app, press stop and play again. And this happens quite frequent in 1-2 hours of listening. Do you have any such issues on G5 or not?
3. If you listen to FM radio and you receive a call or an MS/Messenger notification, will the FM radio continue playing after ending the call or notification sound go off?

I am a daily FM radio listener and these type of things are important for me.

Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital