Quick Charge 3.0?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's a highly scientific :p experiment I did this morning:
This is a Verizon LG G5 phone Model VS987. It was around 50-60% charged. Using the Ampere app.
When not plugged in, screen on, it appears to be discharging at around 300 to 400 mA.

At home, using Anker PowerPort+ 1 USB-C Wall Charger,
the phone was charging consistently at 970 mA. It said "Fast Charging."

On the same outlet, using the Stock LG charger that came with the LG G5 from Verizon,

On the way to work, using Vinsic USB Type C Car Charger Adapter
and the Rankie USB Type C to Type C Cable
the phone was charging consistently at 970 mA. It said just "Charging."

At the office, using a second Anker PowerPort+ 1 USB-C Wall Charger

At the office, using an LG branded USB-C charger that came with a Nexus 5X (not labeled Fast-charging)
the phone was charging consistently at 970 mA. It said just "Charging."

I wonder if the ampere app is working properly.
I would check actual charge times

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just tried that campers app charging. From a battery and it charged at 730ma..... I will try it later with a generic charger and the stock

taco-man

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if the ampere app is working properly.
I would check actual charge times
I was probably overly simplistic. The Ampere app did show the amps ramping
up, and then there was variance, going up and down. But in the end, it just kind of settled
at 970.

Anyway, I put the phone on the Anker charger for exactly 30 minutes and it went from
53% to 89%. Seems pretty good, I guess, but unfortunately, I don't think I'm any closer to figuring out
the issue brought up in the original post.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was probably overly simplistic. The Ampere app did show the amps ramping
up, and then there was variance, going up and down. But in the end, it just kind of settled
at 970.

Anyway, I put the phone on the Anker charger for exactly 30 minutes and it went from
53% to 89%. Seems pretty good, I guess, but unfortunately, I don't think I'm any closer to figuring out
the issue brought up in the original post.

I think mine charges as fast or faster than that with the stock but I never actually timed it. By the time I get home I should be down to 50 % or lower

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Levelled off at 990ma at 57 % charge.
Put an IPhone charger on it and it went from 580 to 900 and down to 330.....not sure I trust this app

BigPappi

May 18, 2016
Visit site
**UPDATE - This issue only affects Verizon handsets as of 4/21/16. G5 Handsets by other carriers do not appear to be affected.

PSA: I can confirm that there IS an issue with the LG G5's Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatibility with at least some "certified" 3rd party Quick Charge 3.0 chargers (i.e. it doesn't work)! Be aware that if you are connecting your G5 to a 3rd party Quick Charge 3.0 charger, you may not even be getting Quick Charge 2.0 - Just basic charging (see below).

An ANKER PowerPort 2 with Quick Charge 3.0 was used for this testing. Multiple G5's plugged into the 3.0 port, using an acceptable cord, would NOT sustain a Fast Charging connection. The G5's would report "Fast Charging" for 2-3 seconds before reverting to standard "Charging". Let me elaborate on that more. The ANKER charger is designed to detect a Quick Charge capability (2.0 or 3.0), and then deliver the appropriate load. An S6 was connected to the 3.0 port on the ANKER charger, and a Quick Charge 2.0 capability was detected resulting in the S6 Fast Charging. With the G5, this does not happen. The phone or charger reverts to basic charging due to charging feedback sent by the G5.

As I stated initially, this means that if you've sprung for a certified Quick Charge 3.0 charger, you will be worse off than if you simply use a 2.0 ONLY charger. Since this is a major issue, I suspect LG will rectify this in a system update. Hopefully, in the near future.

I am interested in hearing from others who have purchased a Qualcomm certified Quick Charge 3.0 charger, and have observed it "Fast Charging" for the duration of the charge. This will help us determine which chargers may have overcome this compatibility issue.

Check the version of the cable you are using. I had the same issue as well but looked at the cable version I was using. QuickCharge 3 will only work with a USB C 3.0 or 3.1 or higher. Many of the USB cables out there especially the C to C are version 2.0.

Belkin has a good cable but it is short.

POBrien21

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm charging the (Verizon) LG G5 on the Anker PowerPort+1
Using the Ampere app, I get varied results. For a while it settled at 1030 mA
but now, it seems to want to top out at 570 mA.
It always says "Fast Charging."
If I unplug the device, it discharges between 270-530 mA, with the screen on.

I don't know if any of this is helpful.

What cable are you using taco-man?

POBrien21

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm anxious to hear from other Verizon G5 users. Sounds like your phone, taco-man is operating correctly, or at 2.0 speed a least, which is better than my phone and others I've tested... I may just trade phones in your sleep... But it is curious about what the difference could be.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm anxious to hear from other Verizon G5 users. Sounds like your phone, taco-man is operating correctly, or at 2.0 speed a least, which is better than my phone and others I've tested... I may just trade phones in your sleep... But it is curious about what the difference could be.
I ordered that same unit Taco Man has....will let you know later today if it works for me.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I got my Verizon G5 a few days ago, but work has me so swamped that I STILL haven't set it up. It was down to 4% when I started charging with the issued charger. So nothing is active on the phone (wi-fi, signal, etc.)

4% at 0 minutes.

54% at 25 minutes.

I looked over and forgot to let it go back to sleep, and so the screen was up for the next 5 minutes . It went from 54% to 59%.

82% at 46 minutes (so up another 23% in the next 16 minutes).
95% at 65 minutes. (up 91% total in 65 minutes).
96% at 70 minutes
98% at 75 minutes.

So, it charged VERY quickly initially, but sort of slowed to a crawl later. Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case anyone was interested.

96% at 70 minutes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The stock charger also maintains "fast charge" on my Verizon LG G5. I can't say whether it is faster/slower than the Anker charger.

I don't think that ampere app works....too inconsistent. I can't tell the difference between stock charger verses Anker 3.0
I will have to time it.