11-07-2016 04:48 PM
107 123 ...
tools
    I purchased 3 different chargers that are all Quick Charge 3.0 certified by Qualcomm (e.g. Aukey 2 port car charger, Anker Power Port 2 wall). When I connect the G5, it says "Fast Charging" for about 2 seconds, and then reverts to normal "Charging" displayed and charging speed. Has anyone had a 3rd party charger perform Quick Charge 3.0 charging? Either it's the G5 in general, or my unit is defective, or the charger manufacturers are making a mistake. Someone is misleading a lot of people...

I can confirm that the correct charging port is being used, and a suitable charging cord is being used.

**UPDATE (5/12/16)**

Feedback from this thread has helped get to the bottom of this issue. The compatibility problem I am experiencing is limited to Verizon Wireless handsets only, and is now confirmed by Verizon! Proper Quick Charge 3.0 operation has been confirmed on T-Mobile and AT&T handsets. I hope a software patch will be issued by Verizon in short order to solve the problem. Conclusion: Verizon Wireless G5's ARE NOT currently compatible with Qualcomm certified Quick Charge 3.0 chargers!
    04-14-2016 11:46 PM
    We have an Aukey 2.0 wall charger that reports fast charging I'll check to see if it's actually for the duration. All I know is full charge is about an hour which is awesome!
    04-15-2016 12:06 AM
    My Aukey 2-port Quick Charge 3 car charger works with the G5. I have had some issues where occasionally it claimed it was fast-charging, but by looking at the battery graph, it was charging no faster than my G3 did. However, when that happens, if I unplug and then plug the cable in again (using either end of the cable), it will usually actually fast charge.

I'm still trying to debug the issue, so about 5 minutes into my drive home, I open the battery graph to see if it's really fast charging. It hasn't happened the last couple of days, but I've been making sure to plug in the phone after the car has been turned on and the car charger is powered. I don't know if that was the problem, but if things continue to work for the next couple of charges, I'll go back to plugging in the phone before I turn on the car and see if it makes any difference.

I may have had this issue with the LG supplied charger, but I haven't used that one much. Usually I plug in my phone on the commute home, even though it's still at 60% and I don't charge it again until I go to sleep, where I use a standard charger on my nightstand.

Anyhow, when I was testing the fast charging with the LG charger a day or so after getting the phone, I ran the battery down, plugged it into the fast charger with the LG cable, and an hour later noticed that it hadn't charged any faster than my G3 would, even though it still claimed it was fast-charging. I swapped from the LG cable to a cable I got from Amazon and then it really did fast charge. From that I assumed that there was something wrong with my LG cable and it wouldn't fast charge, but it might have been that unplugging it and plugging it back in with the same LG cable was all that was needed.
    04-15-2016 06:27 AM
    My phone reported fast charging for the duration. It does as well for the supplied charger out of the box. The Aukey seems faster than the one out of the box but I haven't run any definitive tests.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-15-2016 09:04 AM
    Thanks for the replies. If I connect my G5 to a Quick Charge 2.0 device (e.g. a Samsung Fast Charger), it will Fast Charge at 2.0 speeds. One of the chargers I purchased from Amazon, a PowerPeak Fast Charger 3.0, will display "Fast Charging" on my G5, but it only seems to be performing at 2.0 performance. Again, the other 3.0 chargers I have simply won't continue to "Fast Charge". I'm going to take my Aukey car charger and ANKER wall charger up to Verizon today and test them with other G5s they have at the store.

I called LG, and they said that it is probably a compatibility issue between the device and the charger (no s***), and that I should only use the charger that came with the G5... What? If charging manufacturers and LG have implemented the Qualcomm 3.0 standard, shouldn't they be compatible? I'll post the results of my Verizon visit later...
    04-15-2016 11:56 AM
    How many cables do you have?

I ask because I have some chargers that didn't work with some cables (despite being Benson approved).
    04-15-2016 12:38 PM
    I have USB C cables by VCE, a Rockbirds USB C, and Lamyic Type C converters to use with micro USB cables. All present with the same issue. The Rockbirds braided cable wouldn't work with one of the chargers (i think the PowerPeak).
    04-15-2016 02:18 PM
    **UPDATE - This issue only affects Verizon handsets as of 4/21/16. G5 Handsets by other carriers do not appear to be affected.

PSA: I can confirm that there IS an issue with the LG G5's Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatibility with at least some "certified" 3rd party Quick Charge 3.0 chargers (i.e. it doesn't work)! Be aware that if you are connecting your G5 to a 3rd party Quick Charge 3.0 charger, you may not even be getting Quick Charge 2.0 - Just basic charging (see below).

An ANKER PowerPort 2 with Quick Charge 3.0 was used for this testing. Multiple G5's plugged into the 3.0 port, using an acceptable cord, would NOT sustain a Fast Charging connection. The G5's would report "Fast Charging" for 2-3 seconds before reverting to standard "Charging". Let me elaborate on that more. The ANKER charger is designed to detect a Quick Charge capability (2.0 or 3.0), and then deliver the appropriate load. An S6 was connected to the 3.0 port on the ANKER charger, and a Quick Charge 2.0 capability was detected resulting in the S6 Fast Charging. With the G5, this does not happen. The phone or charger reverts to basic charging due to charging feedback sent by the G5.

As I stated initially, this means that if you've sprung for a certified Quick Charge 3.0 charger, you will be worse off than if you simply use a 2.0 ONLY charger. Since this is a major issue, I suspect LG will rectify this in a system update. Hopefully, in the near future.

I am interested in hearing from others who have purchased a Qualcomm certified Quick Charge 3.0 charger, and have observed it "Fast Charging" for the duration of the charge. This will help us determine which chargers may have overcome this compatibility issue.
    04-15-2016 03:56 PM
    I have the : Belkin 2.0 USB-A to USB Type C Charge Cable 6 Foot

Works flawless to replace the cables on all my previous fast chargers. $12 on amazon.
    04-16-2016 09:30 AM
    I'm using this one and it works incredibly fast.

SHARKK Charger Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger 18W High Speed Rapid Charger Ultra Portable Travel Wall Plug Charger with Adaptive Charging Technology https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Y9ZCUK...cUvbUpU5130982
    04-17-2016 05:36 PM
    Thanks 'jrham'! With your SHARKK charger, your G5 will display 'Fast Charging' on the phone for the duration of the charge? I may go ahead and buy it to give it a go... and to add it to my growing collection of 3.0 chargers...
    04-17-2016 11:06 PM
    Yes definitely displays "fast charging" the entire time, just be sure you have a 3.0 compatible usb c cable.
    04-19-2016 08:48 AM
    Did you buy other cable?
    04-19-2016 09:20 AM
    How many cables do you have?

I ask because I have some chargers that didn't work with some cables (despite being Benson approved).
    How can you tell what is Benson approved?
    04-19-2016 11:34 AM
    How can you tell what is Benson approved?
    Anything that has 5 Stars on this list:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile...cUvbUpU5134803
    04-19-2016 11:47 AM
    Anything that has 5 Stars on this list:

Amazon.com: Profile For Benson Leung
    Thank you. Unfortunately I don't see a car charger on there just USB cords. I was looking for a car charger recommendation do you know if he reviews just USB cords or does he review all things related?
    04-19-2016 12:04 PM
    Hmm. He had one on there, but it wasn't QC Certified - just 3A Fast Charging.

I bought this Tronsmart QC 2.0 car charger to use with the LG G4 and it still works beautifully with the G5 (albeit with a new cable).
    04-19-2016 12:19 PM
    I've had good luck with these ( however not Benson approved) Type C Cable, Kinps®Nylon Braided 6.6FT USB Type C 3.1 to USB A 3.0 Sync & Charging Braided Cable for Apple New MacBook 12'', Nexus 6P, Nexus 5x, Nokia N1, One Plus 2, and Other Type-C Devices(Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019DWWB5C...cUvbUpU5135009
    And also the iOrange-e which he gives 5 stars. Just be aware the Kinps cables are definitely thicker and more cumbersome the the iOrange-e but both seem like great quality.
    04-19-2016 01:35 PM
    I order two VCE cables from list (5stars) from aliexpres and i order vention adapter, so i can use my rock and cepower micro usb
    04-19-2016 05:04 PM
    I just received my SHARKK 3.0 wall charger as recommended in this thread. Unfortunately, my G5 presents the same symptom - it says "fast charging" for a couple of seconds and then reverts to standard charging. I tested with multiple USB C cords of acceptable quality, including the stock LG cord. We need some more results from G5 users and 3rd party 3.0 chargers. Maybe some are not affected by this issue? I tested with another G5 in a Verizon store, and it also presented the same issue.
    04-20-2016 06:52 PM
    I just received my SHARKK 3.0 wall charger as recommended in this thread. Unfortunately, my G5 presents the same symptom - it says "fast charging" for a couple of seconds and then reverts to standard charging. I tested with multiple USB C cords of acceptable quality, including the stock LG cord. We need some more results from G5 users and 3rd party 3.0 chargers. Maybe some are not affected by this issue? I tested with another G5 in a Verizon store, and it also presented the same issue.
    That definitely isn't a good thing, both myself and my girlfriend have the G5 and we use the same exact chargers and she also doesn't have the issues you're talking about either. You say you've tried the chargers at the Verizon store and their phones did the same thing? Dare I say that maybe Verizon did something with ability to uses quick charge 3.0? Maybe try to use the chargers at a different carriers store? I can confirm that with tmobile my phone will say quick charging with the stock charger, Samsungs adaptive chargers and with my aftermarket chargers, aftermarket being incredibly fast.
    POBrien21 likes this.
    04-21-2016 08:12 AM
    That's a great idea. I'll plan to swing by another carrier and try it. The problem seems to be with chargers that have the 3.0 capability. If I use a 2.0 charger, like an OEM Samsung Fast Charger, it works just fine. But something with 3.0 chargers, which should work, is freaking it out. It's like the charger is detecting the 3.0 signal from the Qualcomm chip, but it isn't communicating properly with the phone regarding what kind of charging load to send.
    04-21-2016 09:03 AM
    Thank you, jrham. You have really helped get to the crux of this issue. I went to a T-Mobile store and tested their G5 with my AUKEY 3.0 car charger. Their phone displayed "Fast Charging" the entire time it was charging, and clearly charged quickly. When unplugged and plugged into my Verizon G5, it presented the symptom of displaying "Fast Charging" for a few seconds and then only "Charging" while clearly charging slowly. This confirms that the chargers I mentioned in this thread are probably just fine, and that this issue plagues all Verizon LG G5 handsets. I hope this will be resolved quickly with a system update.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    04-21-2016 11:29 AM
    Wow, this is crazy. My Verizon G5 also does this. I wonder if it was something intentional, but then, why?
    POBrien21 likes this.
    04-21-2016 11:41 AM
    Someone try this?
    http://s.aliexpress.com/UzIb2iqq
    I have it on g4 and it was perfect
    04-21-2016 12:01 PM
107 123 ...