From the Galaxy S7 to the LG G5

CSOReaper

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

Thought I would post about my experience with the Galaxy s7 and then my new LG G5. I purchased the Gold S7 as soon as it came out. My first unit, would drop calls randomly and the camera was horrible.

The second new replacement unit, the speaker had that crackling sound when you would play any music or youtube video. None of the "fixes" worked.

The third new replacement unit, brought it home and it seemed fine. I was ok with it. Then, I brought up a web browser and noticed a pencil eraser sized dark spot in the screen........

After having to go through store manager, district manager, regional manager at T-Mobile, I exchanged for a new LG G5.

LOVE IT.

For one, it works, no defects. The screen has no spots in it. The camera is 10 times the camera of the S7, I don't care what anyone tells you. The previous Galaxy's had a great camera, the new 12mp STINKS...... You think that picture is good when you take it, except it will NOT focus on anything close up. Also, trying zooming in on the pic you take with the S7, it will pix-elate terribly because of the low MP. The reviews that say it is the best camera out, I have no idea what they are comparing it to. The S6 and Note 5 camera blows it out of the water.

I constantly had people asking me to speak up, etc. on the S7. Not sure if it had something to do with the waterproofing or not, but it was very annoying. The S7 could be a fantastic phone, but in my opinion, it just has too many mechanical issues for me.

Now, PHYSICALLY, the S7 is perfect. It is what ALL phones should be. The LG G5, I have read all the horror stories and seen the pics about the QC of these devices and I was scared. Mine, the gold model from T-Mobile, isn't bad.

It has a couple of places on it that I am not happy about, but they are minor. I know paint from previous automotive experience. This looks to me like they clamped the phone with something, sprayed it, let it dry, then took it off and it has those indentions in the paint and primer. Should they be there? Nope, but worse things could happen for sure.

There is a small gap on the battery tray on one end and flush on the other end, but it is very small and nothing major. I can live with it and you will never notice it with your case on. I am very OCD on phones and even without a case, it doesn't bother me.

The UI/UX is very good. The speed is top notch as well. I really like the phone and if I had to tell anyone to chose between these devices, I would be very comfortable telling you to go with the LG G5. It has THE BEST camera on the market right now.

A couple of final notes. The battery on the G5 is very good. It is not quite as good as the s7, but you will have no trouble going all day on it with heavy usage. The S7, my first unit had mediocre battery life. The next two had superb battery life and is better than the LG. Forget about listening to music on the S7 as the speaker is atrocious. The G5 has a fantastic speaker that you could listen to all day if you want.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post and I will answer if I can.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

Thought I would post about my experience with the Galaxy s7 and then my new LG G5. I purchased the Gold S7 as soon as it came out. My first unit, would drop calls randomly and the camera was horrible.

The second new replacement unit, the speaker had that crackling sound when you would play any music or youtube video. None of the "fixes" worked.

The third new replacement unit, brought it home and it seemed fine. I was ok with it. Then, I brought up a web browser and noticed a pencil eraser sized dark spot in the screen........

After having to go through store manager, district manager, regional manager at T-Mobile, I exchanged for a new LG G5.

LOVE IT.

For one, it works, no defects. The screen has no spots in it. The camera is 10 times the camera of the S7, I don't care what anyone tells you. The previous Galaxy's had a great camera, the new 12mp STINKS...... You think that picture is good when you take it, except it will NOT focus on anything close up. Also, trying zooming in on the pic you take with the S7, it will pix-elate terribly because of the low MP. The reviews that say it is the best camera out, I have no idea what they are comparing it to. The S6 and Note 5 camera blows it out of the water.

I constantly had people asking me to speak up, etc. on the S7. Not sure if it had something to do with the waterproofing or not, but it was very annoying. The S7 could be a fantastic phone, but in my opinion, it just has too many mechanical issues for me.

Now, PHYSICALLY, the S7 is perfect. It is what ALL phones should be. The LG G5, I have read all the horror stories and seen the pics about the QC of these devices and I was scared. Mine, the gold model from T-Mobile, isn't bad.

It has a couple of places on it that I am not happy about, but they are minor. I know paint from previous automotive experience. This looks to me like they clamped the phone with something, sprayed it, let it dry, then took it off and it has those indentions in the paint and primer. Should they be there? Nope, but worse things could happen for sure.

There is a small gap on the battery tray on one end and flush on the other end, but it is very small and nothing major. I can live with it and you will never notice it with your case on. I am very OCD on phones and even without a case, it doesn't bother me.

The UI/UX is very good. The speed is top notch as well. I really like the phone and if I had to tell anyone to chose between these devices, I would be very comfortable telling you to go with the LG G5. It has THE BEST camera on the market right now.

A couple of final notes. The battery on the G5 is very good. It is not quite as good as the s7, but you will have no trouble going all day on it with heavy usage. The S7, my first unit had mediocre battery life. The next two had superb battery life and is better than the LG. Forget about listening to music on the S7 as the speaker is atrocious. The G5 has a fantastic speaker that you could listen to all day if you want.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post and I will answer if I can.

Seemed like the first S7 you had was the best of the bunch. I don't know how you're saying the camera is horrible. The reviews SHOW YOU the pictures. Anyways.

Second replacement seemed okay to me too. I don't know how bad the crackling could've been. Of course LG speaker is better. That's a fact.

But the third replacement sounds bad as well as the G5 you got with the built quality issues. I don't know I can't ever live with a phone I've spent hundreds of dollars knowing that it has a gap or the indentations you're talking about. I can't. Ever. I know you say you have OCD but I don't know how you're doing it. But it's good that you are!

Personally I prefer the S7 over LG JUST for the built quality. I think they're the same from inside. The only thing I prefer is like I said, the build and design.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these phones. Except the G5 of course. Hahaha I'm kidding. Enjoy your phone!

Happy OCD!

Posted via the Android Central App

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Good feedback. I will be doing the same. I have the S7E and cant stand it anymore. Phone is slow even after doing several factory resets and the touchscreen is very sensitive, almost unusable, for one handed operation.

Played around a lot with the G5 the other day and wanted to come back to it if my S7E didnt improve, one last time. Now i cant stand it. Went back to my 6s+ until i can get it from ATT.

Samsung devices, IMHO, are ALL SHOW, NO GO!

CSOReaper

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Seemed like the first S7 you had was the best of the bunch. I don't know how you're saying the camera is horrible. The reviews SHOW YOU the pictures. Anyways.

Second replacement seemed okay to me too. I don't know how bad the crackling could've been. Of course LG speaker is better. That's a fact.

But the third replacement sounds bad as well as the G5 you got with the built quality issues. I don't know I can't ever live with a phone I've spent hundreds of dollars knowing that it has a gap or the indentations you're talking about. I can't. Ever. I know you say you have OCD but I don't know how you're doing it. But it's good that you are!

Personally I prefer the S7 over LG JUST for the built quality. I think they're the same from inside. The only thing I prefer is like I said, the build and design.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these phones. Except the G5 of course. Hahaha I'm kidding. Enjoy your phone!

Happy OCD!

Rizwan,

The quality isn't that different, but it is better on the S7 for sure, no denying.

You said the comparison pictures are posted between the two models. Yes, but those are just the standard pics. If you try to zoom an S7 picture, you will lose detail like crazy. It is a horrible camera for anything close up or for zooming the pic for details. The G5 camera is MILES ahead.

The first S7 was horrible. I was on a few very important business calls and the phone dropped me twice. The client had to call back, I was not in a bad signal area either.

The second phone, no way I will keep a defective speaker phone just because it is a Samsung.

Third, bad amoled screen on a brand new phone? No way, no how. So third time was the charm.

I have been using this phone extensively to put it through its paces. I have found 0 issues outside if the very minor cosmetic issues and a weird auto dimming of the screen even when auto dimming is turned off.

Software issues can be remedied. Hardware issues like the S7 had are fatal. There are many reports if people having those same issues. Some probably have them, but do not check their phones close enough to tell.

Glad you like yours and I hope you get much enjoyment from Touchwiz.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Rizwan,

The quality isn't that different, but it is better on the S7 for sure, no denying.

You said the comparison pictures are posted between the two models. Yes, but those are just the standard pics. If you try to zoom an S7 picture, you will lose detail like crazy. It is a horrible camera for anything close up or for zooming the pic for details. The G5 camera is MILES ahead.

The first S7 was horrible. I was on a few very important business calls and the phone dropped me twice. The client had to call back, I was not in a bad signal area either.

The second phone, no way I will keep a defective speaker phone just because it is a Samsung.

Third, bad amoled screen on a brand new phone? No way, no how. So third time was the charm.

I have been using this phone extensively to put it through its paces. I have found 0 issues outside if the very minor cosmetic issues and a weird auto dimming of the screen even when auto dimming is turned off.

Software issues can be remedied. Hardware issues like the S7 had are fatal. There are many reports if people having those same issues. Some probably have them, but do not check their phones close enough to tell.

Glad you like yours and I hope you get much enjoyment from Touchwiz.

I get it man I get it. I respect your choice of course. Especially after going through such painful process of getting the devices and returning them. It's not easy. However I was just saying that if it was me and if I got ANY phone, like you, and it wasn't 10/10 I would return it immediately.

Samsung has its issues too. Of course. Clearly. You are a witness. But the number of phones they make, the bad units percentage is extremely low. As compared to what LG did with their flagship this year. I don't dislike the G5. I dislike LG for not taking care of their baby. Almost every review I've seen has some build issue.

And again, you might be right. Of course the pictures won't contain as much detail as LG. Because of the mp count. But to my eye they both look the same. Supersaf does show 100% crops in his comparison. You can check them out.

Anyways. I'll say it again. All flagships have reached a point where whichever one you get you'll have a good time!

Cheers!

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Got the gold G5 and went back to T-Mobile to trade it for the silver one.

While I was there, I almost picked up the S7 Edge instead and just couldn't go through with it. I now have a silver G5 and everything is great.

mrones

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Agree ..came from a S7 edge..after 2 days turned off the edge feature found it useless ..also screen edge were very sensitive.. The last straw were random apps crashing especially what's app in the middle of a phone conversation..very happy with the G5 ..slap a case on it if it's looks bothers you

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, OP.

If you're still using the device, could you tell me, how bright is the notification LED, in daylight conditions? I remember the ones on BlackBerry devices were pretty bright.

Thanks again

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have none of the reported issues on my G5. The build quality is perfect. There are a few Samsung devices in my home. I like the G5 look and feel a lot better.

I'm posting this because someone said they have never seen a review of a G5 that didn't report some kind of build issue.

Well.. Now you have.

drenco

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I have none of the reported issues on my G5. The build quality is perfect. There are a few Samsung devices in my home. I like the G5 look and feel a lot better.

I'm posting this because someone said they have never seen a review of a G5 that didn't report some kind of build issue.

Well.. Now you have.

Same as the build quality on mine is Spot on faultless sturdy etc but talking about Sammy phones ive previously owned a S4 and Note 3 and also seen just about every well known review all over you-tube for their phones & cameras and have noticed that many a group test that the LG G5 camera clearly comes out on top compared to this gen Sammy phones in many tests also the reason i had to jump the Sammy ship was #1 to SLLLLOOWWWW to provide updates to the OS and #2 (and ive seen many vids stating this for all of this Gen phones aswell) that they always become LAG beasts its just not funny especially when they are running the same internals and version of the OS as other phones that dont Lag at all but their software optimisations are horrendous and this literally kills there phones for me and #3 simply put there audio for a: phone calls is normally terrible in my experience and b: the music playback regardless of format or kbps through headphones just sound offensive to my ears shockingly bad.