Move apps to SD card on LG G5?

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to move apps to the SD card on an AT&T LG G5?
This rig is lightning fast and I'd rather not jeopardize that with apps on the internal storage.
Thanks in advance for any input

KoolKoalaGaming

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will work, but worth a try. First, go to Settings and then see all your apps, press on the app once that you want to move, then press 'Move to SD card'. Probably won't work, but worth a try.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. The phone doesn't slow down because there are apps installed to internal storage.

2. You can only move parts of apps to the SD card - links are left in internal storage pointing to those parts on the card. (So if the parts are small enough, you can end up with less free internal storage than when you started.)

3. Apps running from the SD card run slower than apps running from internal storage.

4. As KoolKoalaGaming said, "Move to SD card" will do it - on those apps that will run from the SD card. Most apps won't.

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will work, but worth a try. First, go to Settings and then see all your apps, press on the app once that you want to move, then press 'Move to SD card'. Probably won't work, but worth a try.

That option isn't there. It's probably an LG thing. I've had mostly Samsung devices and always put as many apps on the SD card as I can.

Sandancer1

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
On my S5 that was running Android 6.01 I could still move apps to sd card but I can't using the same method on my G5. Think I read that LG disabled it.

Jim3rg

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Had my G5 for a few days now and just realised that I cant move apps to the sd card. I wonder why LG dissabled this. Is there a way around this without rooting?

Jim

Stephen33

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
There was an article a few months back IIRC, that said LG and Samsung cut this option from their respective flagships this year.. I'm still using the SD card for photos though!

eclairey

May 18, 2016
Visit site
This feature is called adoptable storage on Marshmallow. It formats the SD card as if it was the same as the internal storage, so you end up with one giant "internal storage". Once this setting is on, the user should not be removing the SD card frequently, whether intentionally or inadvertently. Also it won't be readable on a computer because it would be formatted as internal storage.

Therefore, while transferring apps to the SD card sounds like a good idea, there are some cons which helps to explain why LG and Samsung chose not to implement this for their flag ships in the G5 and S7. I heard HTC 10 has this feature though.

Kyogre

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Tested on non-rooted LG G5 H850 with stock Android Oreo 8.0. What info have I gathered:
To move app from internal storage to external SD card storage go through this steps: Settings -> Apps and notifications -> App info -> select app -> Storage -> Storage used change -> select SD card.

But not all the apps have a feature to move itself to SD card. You can easily check availability of such feature using "Apk Analyzer app by Martin Styk" - just look at "Install location" field (tap on field for explanation).

Here you are two pairs of screenshots, where shown:
1. how does look app info, if the app have "move to sd card" feature
app info with change storage feature.jpg apk analyzer info of app with change storage feature.jpg

2. and how does it look, if the app doesn't have such a feature
app info without change storage feature.jpg apk analyzer info of app without change storage feature.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane