Two G5 features that I didn't think I'd use: FM Radio, Quick Remote

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
So... at the weekend I played with the FM radio, and the Quick remote.

Surprised, but both are really useful. The reception on the FM radio was actually really clear. It even tells you the station name and what song is playing. Only slight downside is that it appears to turn off when you activate the camera. Not sure why, interference concerns with video sounds recording? or maybe just a bugette.

The quick remote setup is very clever. You just tell the phone what type and brand of device it is, and it then asks you to try a few buttons, and you tell it if it worked or not. In my experience it only asks a few times, then works out exactly what setup your device needs. You can configure multiple remotes and organise them in multiple rooms, with tabs to switch remotes. No more searching down the back of the sofa!

No doubt these features (which are somewhat dying out in the android space) will also be dismissed as a fail by someone who doesn't even own the phone, but there you go...Personally i'm adding it to the list of reasons to own it along with the wide angle camera, and removeable battery.

If you own this phone, and haven't tried either of these features yet, you may want to give them a whirl...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Two G5 features that I didn't think I'd use

The FM radio is disabled by Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site

Quick remote is awesome, coming from having it on the G3, I was happy it's still here.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Quick remote is awesome, coming from having it on the G3, I was happy it's still here.

Quick remote is cool..... Can't understand why so many dropped it from their product or never included

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Quick remote is cool..... Can't understand why so many dropped it from their product or never included

They don't put the IR blaster in the right spot, same with this phone. You don't hold a touch screen like a normal remote control, you hold it like a phone. The blaster should be on the back like the camera otherwise it's to much of a pain to use for anything other than a way to mess with friends at their house.

xPhantom

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree. I think the IR blaster at the top of the phone is perfect. I would feel more awkward pointing my phone at my TV if I had to hold it like I were taking a picture of something.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't know why they would put it anywhere but the top.

In fact, I hold it exactly like a remote when I use it as a remote.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
How do y'all push the right buttons holding it like that without flipping the phone up and looking at it...?

Isn't it the same as using a regular TV remote? I don't need to flip that up either. Unless you were holding the phone really high, you can see the screen fine.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it the same as using a regular TV remote? I don't need to flip that up either. Unless you were holding the phone really high, you can see the screen fine.

Because I can't feel where the buttons are and I keep hitting the wrong one without looking at the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463