My Experience With The LG G5 That Replaced The Galaxy S5 For Me

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I kind of started this in another thread, but will briefly recap here. The Galaxy S5 was my first "smart phone" two years ago. Since then, I'd been through three of them because of people telling me, in phone calls that they couldn't hear me, I sounded far away, or I sounded like I was in a tunnel. But testing eventually revealed that this was an outgoing audio problem, apparently with the model, and that using the voice recorder app produced clear and crisp recordings. So about 2 weeks ago, Verizon facilitated replacing the blankety blank S5 ( I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER SAMSUNG PHONE! ) with the LG G5.

So far:

Pros:
+ I'm happy with the outgoing audio quality on calls with my clients. None of the above complaints anymore!
+ I'm happy with the new screen keyboard, in which the buttons are maybe 2.5 times the size of the little tiny ones on the S5< AND I no longer have to retype almost everything. Now, actually, I rarely have to retype anything.

Cons:

- The automatic screen brightness setting is terribly dim in all lighting situations - so dim as to be unusable. I had to turn it off and set the phone to around 87%. Can this be fixed in software upgrades, by LG?

- Touch tap sensitivity is sometimes ok, but other times very frustrating and I see no setting for increasing it. There have been times when we went to double tap the screen and had to keep tapping and tapping, while eventually slipping into foul language at the phone. Is this because of Denver's dry climate and dry fingers? Did I miss the setting somewhere?

- I went to answer a phone call ( this happened twice this past week. ) and discovered that just tapping the circular answer button would not work ( lost a couple of calls ). Later discovered that I had to tap and drag, to answer calls, but the symbol had no arrows emanating from it, so who knew?

The phone also seems a little heavier, apparently because of a higher capacity battery? It lasts longer after taking it off the charger. And that brings up another con:

- No wireless charging for this phone? As a former electronics R&D technician, I'm baffled by that. WHY? With the detachable bottom, I'd think it would be begging to be designed for a wireless charger. But to take a lesson from the S5, PUT A REGULATOR ON THE OUTPUT! I had a Qi wireless charger for the S5 and it didn't have regulation and wound up destroying a battery, then after changing the battery, I had to only charge it in the mornings before leaving, and not leave it on the charger.

But overall, "I want to believe". I want to like this phone, but have mixed feelings so far and want to know if these negatives can be corrected after release, because I have this phone now, and there's no going back. I have to pay for it, for 2 years, and wish I could sue Samsung for the S5 that wasted maybe $700 of my money!

I'll see if I can update this post, depending on interest, and what else develops.

Tired Of Manufacturers Releasing Half Baked $700 Phones
In Denver
MamaBear2014

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding the device.

It's more than sure, LG will release future software updates, which will cure some quirks (but, possibly bring new ones, too).

As for quality control, sad but true, mass production has this drawback, by slipping out faulty devices.

Hope you'll enjoy your device for a long time.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding the device.

It's more than sure, LG will release future software updates, which will cure some quirks (but, possibly bring new ones, too).

As for quality control, sad but true, mass production has this drawback, by slipping out faulty devices.

Hope you'll enjoy your device for a long time.

Agreed....they need to fix obvious problems before release and LG is not alone. There are a lot of QA and QC issues with the HTC 10

Posted via the Android Central App

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Agreed....they need to fix obvious problems before release and LG is not alone. There are a lot of QA and QC issues with the HTC 10

Sorry for asking this (since I'm out of the HTC fan base page), which devices are you using at the moment (owning both LG and HTC)?

Thanks.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for asking this (since I'm out of the HTC fan base page), which devices are you using at the moment (owning both LG and HTC)?

Thanks.

I'm using the LG G5. Wanted to get the HTC 10, however I'm going to wait and see based on what I hear in the forums. Also, to be honest, I took a look at one in person and I'm sort of lukewarm on the HTC. I think I need to take a second look at it.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the LG G5. Wanted to get the HTC 10, however I'm going to wait and see based on what I hear in the forums. Also, to be honest, I took a look at one in person and I'm sort of lukewarm on the HTC. I think I need to take a second look at it.

I see, thanks.
I'm also not in a hurry (owning an iPhone 5S), but it's always great to hear the good, also the bad impressions from the real users.

Good luck with your device, it doesn't matter which manufacturer's, as long as you enjoy it.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
- I went to answer a phone call ( this happened twice this past week. ) and discovered that just tapping the circular answer button would not work ( lost a couple of calls ). Later discovered that I had to tap and drag, to answer calls, but the symbol had no arrows emanating from it, so who knew?

That strange, mine has text saying "Drag a circle in any direction" above them, then when you are holding down it changes to something slightly different like "Drag to outside of circle". Unless they added that in an update that I have and you don't. If it was an update, good to see they must be listening. I guess its so you cant answer a call by accident.

My screen brightness is the opposite to yours, I find on auto it is sometimes too bright when I am outside. When I go in to setting, it has set the brightness to 100% !!! So I turn it down, then it seems to stay there. Occasionally I then have to turn it back up again as it goes too dark when I'm inside. The auto brightness does look like it needs a little tweaking still.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm barely able to use this site right now, even to read posts. There's all kinds of ad loading from other sites and they're dragging down my browser and locking it up, so nothing works here.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm barely able to use this site right now, even to read posts. There's all kinds of ad loading from other sites and they're dragging down my browser and locking it up, so nothing works here.

Try the TapaTalk application, it does its job nicely, you'll also get instant notifications to your quoted posts, replies, direct messages.

Or maybe there are better ones, too.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Try the TapaTalk application, it does its job nicely, you'll also get instant notifications to your quoted posts, replies, direct messages.

Or maybe there are better ones, too.

It's this site that's stalling my browser, loading all kinds of ad garbage. Transfering data from Perpro06....for example.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
It's this site that's stalling my browser, loading all kinds of ad garbage. Transfering data from Perpro06....for example.

I understand. As I was reading your earlier post, I thought you were using the web browser (from your current smartphone), for accessing the forums.

What I suggested was, if you can download the TapaTalk application (from the App Store / Google Play Store; not sure which platform you're using), it would be much easier, without the advertising part.

And if I still misunderstood your post, please, disregard my answer.

MamaBear2014

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I understand. As I was reading your earlier post, I thought you were using the web browser (from your current smartphone), for accessing the forums.

What I suggested was, if you can download the TapaTalk application (from the App Store / Google Play Store; not sure which platform you're using), it would be much easier, without the advertising part.

No, I'm strictly on the PC at home, with the forums.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Mamabear, I have absolutely no problems with this website with popups, ads, etc. It's a problem specifically with your browser, computer, or settings. I've opened this website with Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE with no problems.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Mamabear, I have absolutely no problems with this website with popups, ads, etc. It's a problem specifically with your browser, computer, or settings. I've opened this website with Chrome, Opera, Firefox, and IE with no problems.

Good point about some settings.

As I don't have a notebook/pc, maybe you, forum members could help her out resolving this (of course, when more details are revealed about the setup/operating system, and the other technical details).

Regards.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have issues with this site grinding to a halt too (On a PC). Eventually the Shockwave plugin will crash and restart, and then its fine again. I suppose adverts or other parts of the site still use Flash, which everyone is moving away from these days for these very reasons (Memory leaks, stability etc.).

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
For those having issues with this site, adBlock is your friend. This site is horrible without it. Sorry AC, but you know it's true. All site are like this now though.

Best thing to do is to use the Android Central app. It's awesome.

CSOReaper

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I kind of started this in another thread, but will briefly recap here. The Galaxy S5 was my first "smart phone" two years ago. Since then, I'd been through three of them because of people telling me, in phone calls that they couldn't hear me, I sounded far away, or I sounded like I was in a tunnel. But testing eventually revealed that this was an outgoing audio problem, apparently with the model, and that using the voice recorder app produced clear and crisp recordings. So about 2 weeks ago, Verizon facilitated replacing the blankety blank S5 ( I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER SAMSUNG PHONE! ) with the LG G5.

So far:

Pros:
+ I'm happy with the outgoing audio quality on calls with my clients. None of the above complaints anymore!
+ I'm happy with the new screen keyboard, in which the buttons are maybe 2.5 times the size of the little tiny ones on the S5< AND I no longer have to retype almost everything. Now, actually, I rarely have to retype anything.

Cons:

- The automatic screen brightness setting is terribly dim in all lighting situations - so dim as to be unusable. I had to turn it off and set the phone to around 87%. Can this be fixed in software upgrades, by LG?

- Touch tap sensitivity is sometimes ok, but other times very frustrating and I see no setting for increasing it. There have been times when we went to double tap the screen and had to keep tapping and tapping, while eventually slipping into foul language at the phone. Is this because of Denver's dry climate and dry fingers? Did I miss the setting somewhere?

The phone also seems a little heavier, apparently because of a higher capacity battery? It lasts longer after taking it off the charger. And that brings up another con:

- No wireless charging for this phone? As a former electronics R&D technician, I'm baffled by that. WHY? With the detachable bottom, I'd think it would be begging to be designed for a wireless charger. But to take a lesson from the S5, PUT A REGULATOR ON THE OUTPUT! I had a Qi wireless charger for the S5 and it didn't have regulation and wound up destroying a battery, then after changing the battery, I had to only charge it in the mornings before leaving, and not leave it on the charger.

But overall, "I want to believe". I want to like this phone, but have mixed feelings so far and want to know if these negatives can be corrected after release, because I have this phone now, and there's no going back. I have to pay for it, for 2 years, and wish I could sue Samsung for the S5 that wasted maybe $700 of my money!

I'll see if I can update this post, depending on interest, and what else develops.

Tired Of Manufacturers Releasing Half Baked $700 Phones
In Denver
MamaBear2014

The items you post are simply user input and getting used to a new device.

In your previous debacle about having to spend $700.00, which by the way, the phone is $629.00, you knew there was no wireless charging because you were told about it 20 times.

Heavier phone than your S5? Well I would sure hope that a former "R&D Electronics Technician" ****cough - Radio Shack Cashier - end cough**** could tell the difference between a plastic S5 and a metal G5.

Take the phone back and get a refund. That $700.00 is going to be the death of you.......

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

Take the phone back and get a refund. That $700.00 is going to be the death of you.......

Not sure why the answer to her (sorry MamaBear, I'm just assuming by the username you've chosen), she clearly stated that the Galaxy S5 made her sad, money thrown out the window, not the new device (aside from wireless charging...).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure why the answer to her (sorry MamaBear, I'm just assuming by the username you've chosen), she clearly stated that the Galaxy S5 made her sad, money thrown out the window, not the new device (aside from wireless charging...).

I believe they were complaining about the G5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc