G5 Owners Only Thread

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lets see how long this lasts....lol

BTW....did I tell you yet today how much I love my fast acting G5?

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
People need a secret password to enter the thread :)

I must say I do love this phone, it's super fast and the camera is brilliant.

Still waiting on my promotional free gifts arriving, but I don't think I'll use them much

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
lol, made me smile. Nice one Mike.

One thing that i've noticed is the google search stuff isnt as integrated as on my Nexus 5, and some things just plain don't work. Is that just what happens when you go non-Nexus, or is my phone mis-configured?

Two examples...
"Ok google, what's the weather like today" used to launch into Chrome, then bring up a weather widget, sourced from the BBC (Since i'm in the UK) where I could drag a slider to move the hours, or click on a different day, it was really nifty. On the G5 it just does a web search, and the top match is the BBC, but Chrome itself isn't displaying the widget. I have to click through to the BBC weather page, which isn't layed out particularly well for mobile, I have to scroll or turn landscape.
"Ok Google, how do I get to [place]" - again, Chrome would launch and show a tailored widget showing a small map, and there was a big start button which would launch directly into Google maps and start navigation. Worked really well, and very quick to get anywhere. On the G5, it just doesnt work at all. I get web results which are often nothing like where I want to go, no map, no widget or directions. I used this quite a bit when meeting people somewhere new. Now I have to go into the maps app manually and search.

Any tips on fixing this greatly appreciated. Do those two commands work for others (Particularly if you are UK based) ?

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so it looks like it was because i'd turned location off to try and save battery, which i'd kind of forgotten about. I'm sure with previous phone it would prompt you that "Google app wants to access your location" or something similar, and you'd click allow, and everything would work. Unless I imagined it. I can kind of see the direction command not working with location off (although would be nice if it just told you to turn it on), but very strange that the weather command also stops working with location off. You'd think it would use your last known location, or what you've defined as Home, etc.

Do others also get this behaviour with location off?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so it looks like it was because i'd turned location off to try and save battery, which i'd kind of forgotten about. I'm sure with previous phone it would prompt you that "Google app wants to access your location" or something similar, and you'd click allow, and everything would work. Unless I imagined it. I can kind of see the direction command not working with location off (although would be nice if it just told you to turn it on), but very strange that the weather command also stops working with location off. You'd think it would use your last known location, or what you've defined as Home, etc.

Do others also get this behaviour with location off?

I haven't really paid that much attention to its behaviour... I'll try to make a note of it

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac