Recent experiences?

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I know most of the reviews i read from the first batch of devices are that the quality control was slacking, maybe its no different today. I'm looking to get a smaller (under 5.5") device. I tried the HTC 10, don't like it, battery isn't great, the camera is bad and a few other things left me quite disappointed, except the build quality which was great.

So on to the recent opinions and experiences. I did have a chance to play with one at Best buy and liked it. The camera seems pretty nice and i like the software, looks and feel. Felt pretty snappy and responsive. Hows the brightness response, one thing i didn't like about the HTC the auto brightness was really bad for me and it would also jump to full brightness when coming out of the camera app.

hows the battery -
hows the wiggle back button -
hows the most recent build quality -
hows the brightness, auto response -

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a little more than a month.

No defects, but can't say that means quality is better, I could of just gotten lucky.

Battery isn't as good as my old Nexus 6, makes it through the day with medium use. Quick charging helps and there was a deal for a second battery with a charging case I use. It's nice being able to swap batteries out quickly and have a full charge right away.

Auto brightness is the best I've used on a phone. It's the first time I've used it and not reverted to manually adjusting brightness. As to the speed I haven't noticed the issues you talk about.

Not sure what a wiggle back button is but if you mean the power button on the back I like it, liked it when I had a G2 and missed it on my Nexus 6.

Side note, it has an always screen on function I wasn't sure I'd like but decided to give it a go. I haven't noticed an impact on battery life but with it OK Google works without waking up your phone if you set it up right which i love! Now only if my phone could hear me better when in my pant pocket!

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Battery - On standby its excellent. Hardly drains at all. Thing like web browsing, facebook etc. and other 'light' apps is very good. When using games that really tax the graphics and power of that SD820, it's a bit thirsty. Games are so fluid though, never get any lag or stutter, but I guess that comes at a cost. So depending on what you are going to do on it, your mileage may vary. The absolute worst case seems to be 2.5-3 hours of SoT if you are the 'gamer' end, and quite a bit more if you arent. This phone charges seriously quickly though, so I haven't found it an issue, plus you can swap in a spare obviously.

Wiggle back button - I imagine you are referring to a couple of reviews saying the back button doesn't feel solid, and wiggles a bit. I haven't noticed any issues with mine. Was a little bit sceptical about the placement on the back, but now i'm used to it, it feels like exactly the right place, and i'm not sure i'd want a fingerprint sensor on the front in future. It means you can unlock one handed almost without thinking, the button just falls under your finger. On the front, I imagine you have to shuffle the phone around in your hand, or use the thumb on your other hand. It unlocks instantly as well.

Build quality - Cant dispute that some people have got duds, but mine feels solidly built, and I think it feels great in the hand. If I was OCD, I would be able to comment that the chin doesn't fit 100%, but it a good 99.9%. I think its within the tolerances you should expect given the removable design, but one side there is a fraction of a millimetre gap, which doesn't bother me. I know I wouldn't have even noticed it had there not been so much talk in reviews to make me go looking for it. This talk seems to have died down now, so I wonder if LG refined things in the factory to make them more consistent.

Auto brightness - It does seem pretty good, using the full 0%-100% depending on lighting, but I think it could be better. My main comment is that it often cranks to full brightness in sunlight, when I would rather it was just 75-80% to conserve battery. If you turn the slider down, it will just slowly override you again as the light changes. Something which used the slider to calibrate how bright you want auto, would be a good addition I think. I'm sure that is how my Nexus 5 used to work, but could be wrong. Obviously I'd rather it was sometimes too bright, than too dim (Haven't had that issue). It doesn't immediately crank to full brightness when coming out of the camera app, or at random times either.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely consider the G5 as your next phone. Mine has completely displaced my S7 as my daily driver.

Battery life is good enough for my use. I generally start my day at about 8am, and find that by 8pm I'd need to plug in. Thankfully I was able to take advantage of the extra battery promotion that was running, so all I have to do is swap in a new battery and I'm good to go. That is such a handy feature to have.

I have no build quality issues on my device at all. I'm completely satisfied with the build and there is no wiggle on my back button as some have described.

Brightness is definitely lower than some of the other devices I've used recently. Samsung's screens are miles better than what LG has to offer at the moment, but the screen is good enough. Only problem I have is using the phone in direct sunlight sometimes. 95% of the time I don't have any issue with brightness though.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Really happy and relieved to read your experiences. I love my S7E but as much as i love the look of the edge panel, at times i wish for a regular one as some things that need user touch/input fall off to the edge.

I placed my order and should be getting my G5 next week. Really looking forward to it. Keep your thoughts and opinions coming. I've had the pleasure of using the phone briefly at my local best buy and really liked it but as mentioned the power button seemed a bit loose then again this was probably one of the first demo units. The modular fit was good but then i've seen others that aren't as great.

All in all, looking forward to owning this guy. Thanks! :-!

Hugo Sundberg

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I love this phone. Super responsive. The camera is great, loud speaker is loud and clear, call quality excellent even on speakerphone. The back button does feel cheap to me but the clickyness is great and fingerprint reading is crazy fast so the wiggilyness isn´t really a problem for me. :)

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Exciting to hear, really looking forward to experiencing everything it has to offer. Every time i check it out at my local store I enjoy it more. Just hope the quality isn't too bad.

mustang8918

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had no problems with build quality but now that's it's in a case I really have no issues with build quality. I didn't have any uneven parts or any bubbling at the bottom connection area so I guess I got in a later batch or something. The speaker volume is crazy loud. Usually I can play a song at full volume and still hold the phone in my hand but not with this phone, it was to loud and I had to move it farther away. If LG made front facing speakers it would be off the charts loud.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
That's pretty cool. I guess lg decided to take equality control a but more serious after all the reviews of quality issues. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate hearing some better things out of the bunch since most other threads are complaints.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I've had no problems with build quality but now that's it's in a case I really have no issues with build quality. I didn't have any uneven parts or any bubbling at the bottom connection area so I guess I got in a later batch or something. The speaker volume is crazy loud. Usually I can play a song at full volume and still hold the phone in my hand but not with this phone, it was to loud and I had to move it farther away. If LG made front facing speakers it would be off the charts loud.

I've had mine for a few days and have the exact same experience. Now, don't mistake my words for somehow saying the phone has a "premium feel". To me, it doesn't. That doesn't matter though since I have a case and couldn't care if it was plastic or metal. Additionally, yes, the speaker is much louder than my Galaxy S5.

I'll type my other thoughts once I've used it a week or so. It's nothing fantastic so far, but no serious complaints either.

aikanae

May 22, 2016
Visit site
This has been good news. I had to pick a phone without seeing them and since I liked my currently dead LG3, I stayed with LG. Then I heard about the bootloading issue with some saying the same thing was happening on their LG5. No. Phones are too expensive for that kind of mess. But I'm not reading that here. My phone should be here in a couple of days. All I need now is a good deal on a SD card.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Had mine since launch and still have not had any issues.

Was talking to a woman at a hotel bar who just got one, she had no complaints, loved the camera. Actually saw my phone and started taking to me about how much she loves hers.

Maseroche

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It's been a couple of weeks now since I got my G5. I have no issues at all and the build quality, on mine at least, is pretty good.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Seems those first reviews jumped the gun a bit as judging by the experiences here only reaffirms what i felt when running through the phone myself. Its pretty awesome. Funny i preordered my HTC 10 and it turned out to be a failure, for me. The phone got pretty hot, the battery was nothing to smile at, the camera had trouble launching, laggy and also focusing wasn't an easy task for it. I think i should have gone with the LG. I'll get a small review going once i get my hands on it, this Wednesday. Already have a nice 64gb SD and a prepaid SIM to get it going.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems those first reviews jumped the gun a bit as judging by the experiences here only reaffirms what i felt when running through the phone myself. Its pretty awesome. Funny i preordered my HTC 10 and it turned out to be a failure, for me. The phone got pretty hot, the battery was nothing to smile at, the camera had trouble launching, laggy and also focusing wasn't an easy task for it. I think i should have gone with the LG. I'll get a small review going once i get my hands on it, this Wednesday. Already have a nice 64gb SD and a prepaid SIM to get it going.
It’s a good phone. I think a lot of people took a look at the spec sheet see that the biggest change from last year is the modular design. Yes, there are other changes, but for the most part, screen, camera, battery capacity (actually 2mAh smaller), etc. are not that much of an improvement compared to what the other manufacturers have done. I know the price and availability of the friends devices are something reviewers took issue with.

Let us know more thoughts after some good time using the device.

lorul2

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
This is not hyperbole the LG G5 is the best all around phone of 2016! It does everything the others do just as good or even better. In the final analysis the LG G5 averages a better overall "features" score than every other 2016 phone. The best part is the LG G5 has a future with new modules, the others don't.

Let's review: an "as good phone" with "as good" or better features, then throw in future expandability?

Did I mention I got the battery coffin and 360 cam free with purchase?

BEST PHONE OF 2016 CONFIRMED!

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This is not hyperbole the LG G5 is the best all around phone of 2016! It does everything the others do just as good or even better. In the final analysis the LG G5 averages a better overall "features" score than every other 2016 phone. The best part is the LG G5 has a future with new modules, the others don't.

Let's review: an "as good phone" with "as good" or better features, then throw in future expandability?

Did I mention I got the battery coffin and 360 cam free with purchase?

BEST PHONE OF 2016 CONFIRMED!

I agree man! Best phone of 2016!

Just the screen isn't as good as the S7.
And the built/design on pretty much every other phone beats it too sadly.
And the battery life on S7 and S7 Edge are better too.
And extra features like fast wireless charging and water resistance are no where to be found.

But who cares about that man? :D

I'd rather have two separate swappable batteries with each giving me 2.5 hours SOT rather than having one giving me more than 5 hours of SOT.
And I'd rather have a separate module to press a shutter button and zoom in rather than doing it with the volume buttons. It's the same but it's not! The camera module is so much better than just not having to use a camera module.

LG G5 best phone of 2016 for sure! :D I'm with you man!

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
I think as far as screens, nothing compares to the G7 or G7E, those guys are on a cat of their own, then there's the water proofing but once more, class of their own as no one else has it now. With all that aside The G5 seems to be a top competitor with everything else.
So far from the few moments I've had with it, the G5 performs faster & smoother overall than the HTC 10. The screen reacts better to light and the camera app/software works much better. Let see ;):D

Ohh and i think the post above is a sarcastic one lmao.. just noticed. Hadn't seen one in here yet so i thought it was serious.. could still be wrong lol.

With that out of the way, i'll most likely never touch the modular chin, just not into swapping things around and I'm afraid this will makes things loose with time. Basically i get a phone for its looks, design and OS which is three things i like about the G5. Camera has to be good and screen has to adapt quickly and sufficiently to ambient light.