Help. Fingerprint sensor doesn't work after installing micro sd card.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
So I just got my Sony 128gb UHS-1 micro sd card today and put it in the phone. My fingerprint sensor was working GREAT prior to putting the card, Once the card was installed, it stopped working completely.

1. It's not even trying to read the fingerprint (it doesn't vibrate when I try to attempt.)
2. When I hit the button to bring up the screen to enter the PIN, it says "Unable to use fingerprints. Enter PIN".

Can anyone help here?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I just got my Sony 128gb UHS-1 micro sd card today and put it in the phone. My fingerprint sensor was working GREAT prior to putting the card, Once the card was installed, it stopped working completely.

1. It's not even trying to read the fingerprint (it doesn't vibrate when I try to attempt.)
2. When I hit the button to bring up the screen to enter the PIN, it says "Unable to use fingerprints. Enter PIN".

Can anyone help here?

Did you try redoing the fingerprints

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Ok...I fixed it, but it's something that's buggy/doesn't make sense. I may leave the thread up in case someone has this problem.

I tried rebooting. No good.
I tried removing the sd card and rebooting. Not fixed.
I tried erasing the fingerprints and putting new ones in. Not fixed.

What finally fixed it: I went into the fingerprint security section. The button for "Screen Lock - Unlock screen with your fingerprint" was already in the on position. I turned it off and then back on again, and that fixed it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
At a guess, something under that choice got changed by putting in the card (a "side-effect" not anticipated by the developers). Flipping the fingerprint unlock off, then on, reset it back to where it should be. (With so many thousands of lines of code, it's inevitable that one little error slipped through - there are probably plenty more.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
At a guess, something under that choice got changed by putting in the card (a "side-effect" not anticipated by the developers). Flipping the fingerprint unlock off, then on, reset it back to where it should be. (With so many thousands of lines of code, it's inevitable that one little error slipped through - there are probably plenty more.)

That didn't happen when I added my SD card.

Gaurav Sag

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I found a couple tricks after over twenty attempts:

Don't set it up while the phone is in a case.

Don't just roll rotate your finger and touch the sensor again. Actually shift your finger so that you are touching the sensor with only the part shown with the teal circle in each step. First step is center of the print area, so center your finger on the sensor and touch. The second one shows the 2-5 o'clock area. Move your finger so that only that area of your finger will touch the sensor, with the rest of your finger touching outside the sensor (I.e. finger half on the sensor) You will have to use the edge of the sensor on the opposite side of that area of your finger to accomplish this.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Ok...so I was just going through features on my phone to write a review. I went through the process of removing a battery and restarted the phone. The fingerprint scanner doesn't work AGAIN!!!!

So I'm back to switching things off/on, disabling/enabling security access, adding/deleting fingerprints, etc. I still haven't been able to activate it again.

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Factory reset are the words I hate the most, but I'm new enough into the ownership that it wouldn't be a huge hassle. If I can't keep messing around and get it fixed, I'll definitely try that route.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset are the words I hate the most, but I'm new enough into the ownership that it wouldn't be a huge hassle. If I can't keep messing around and get it fixed, I'll definitely try that route.

After that I would try to get it swapped out of it doesn't work

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
And it only does this with the SD card in still? Or is it now more broken than it was before? As ninja says, the first time after reboot it will always ask for a PIN anyway. Second time fingerprint should work though.

Could try raising a support call from LG's website before trying a factory reset ??

stvnstvn

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Ok...so I was just going through features on my phone to write a review. I went through the process of removing a battery and restarted the phone. The fingerprint scanner doesn't work AGAIN!!!!

So I'm back to switching things off/on, disabling/enabling security access, adding/deleting fingerprints, etc. I still haven't been able to activate it again.

like ninja said, everytime you restarting the phone or swapping battery, first time it always asking for PIN first, can't use fingerprint. After that fingerprint should be work normally

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
like ninja said, everytime you restarting the phone or swapping battery, first time it always asking for PIN first, can't use fingerprint. After that fingerprint should be work normally

I can't remember what combination of switching buttons on/off, deleting/adding fingerprints, etc. worked, but I got it working again after the 2nd time it went down. After reading your response here, I went ahead and powered down again. Again, the fingerprint function is not working. The common factor is the phone being shut down.

It will let me add fingerprints, so the sensor is still obviously working. It just wont let me open my phone with the fingerprint. I'll be calling LG sometime this weekend as suggested earlier.

stvnstvn

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I can't remember what combination of switching buttons on/off, deleting/adding fingerprints, etc. worked, but I got it working again after the 2nd time it went down. After reading your response here, I went ahead and powered down again. Again, the fingerprint function is not working. The common factor is the phone being shut down.

It will let me add fingerprints, so the sensor is still obviously working. It just wont let me open my phone with the fingerprint. I'll be calling LG sometime this weekend as suggested earlier.

hmm u might wanna try this..

1. turn off and then turn it on (or restart) your phone.
2. when it's on for the first time. input your PIN first (because whenever u shut down your phone and turn it on, u cannot use your fingerprint for the first time.. it's normal)
3. after you unlock it, lock it again. after that try using the fingerprint again.

does it work? if yes then it's normal.. but if it's not, perhaps there's some error in your phone..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante