So I picked up a G5

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I admit, I was one of those who was overly critical of the G5 when it was first announced and when the reviews started coming in. I was worried about the build quality and the light bleed issues. With that being said, my sister purchased an LG G5 and I played around with it for a little bit and I decided I wanted to get one. I went and purchased one the other day and I actually love it, despite how reviewers feel about it.

The wide angle camera is reason alone to get the phone because I love taking pictures of all the various landscapes. I work outside all over the country and that's reason alone to keep the phone. I also love how fast the G5 charges and that I can make the phone waterproof with a LifeProof case. I love the size of the phone. It's not too big and it's not too small. The screen is okay. I'm not a huge fan of IPS LCD displays, but I can definitely live with them. The modules are a non-issue for me. I didn't purchase this phone to use those (and by "those" I mean just the CAM+ module, since that's the only one available). The cameras are almost just as good as the cameras on the S7 edge. The colors seem more natural, but tend to be a little cool. The colors on the S7 edge are more vibrant. I'm happy with the cameras on both devices.

The only con of the G5 is the battery life. I've been getting about 3 hours SOT in the last two days. My S7 edge beat the G5 by giving me 5-5.5 hours SOT each day. I don't have an extra battery so I need to tether myself to a charger. Taking out the battery and replacing it with a full one is kind of an issue because my G5 has a LifeProof case on it. LifeProof cases aren't exactly easy to remove or to put back on.

I'm trying to decide which phone to keep and which phone to sell/return. The things I love about the S7 edge is the beautiful AMOLED display, the huge battery, the IP86 rating (which doesn't really matter since my G5 has a LifeProof case on it), the ultra fast focus on the camera, the emojis are better, and the wireless charging. I may be able to overlook all of those positives in order to keep the G5. I really don't like the size of the S7 edge. I'm small and the phone is huge in my hands and in my pocket. I also don't like that it's all glass. I got some light scratches on it and I kept it in a case the whole time.

Decisions, decisions...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Kinda interesting that you went and got a G5.

I'm still kind of critical on it, but I do think that when you leave all the build quality issues and the whole modular mess aside, it's actually not a bad phone. I don't think it's phenomenal, but I also don't think it's bad. The hardware is typical flagship-level and those cameras are actually pretty damn good. Among the best of 2016 phones IMO. Still not a fan of LG's software design (which I personally think looks worse than TouchWiz, especially since the latter has become less obnoxious), but at least it performs pretty well.

My only concern right now is #BootloopGate. The build quality issues on release didn't help ease my concerns, and given that newer batches of the LG G4 and the LG V10 are both also starting to fail to the issue, I'm really hoping that LG sorted it out on the G5. If the G5 gets hit with #BootloopGate, LG's going to be in one serious hellstorm.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I admit, I was one of those who was overly critical of the G5 when it was first announced and when the reviews started coming in. I was worried about the build quality and the light bleed issues. With that being said, my sister purchased an LG G5 and I played around with it for a little bit and I decided I wanted to get one. I went and purchased one the other day and I actually love it, despite how reviewers feel about it.

The wide angle camera is reason alone to get the phone because I love taking pictures of all the various landscapes. I work outside all over the country and that's reason alone to keep the phone. I also love how fast the G5 charges and that I can make the phone waterproof with a LifeProof case. I love the size of the phone. It's not too big and it's not too small. The screen is okay. I'm not a huge fan of IPS LCD displays, but I can definitely live with them. The modules are a non-issue for me. I didn't purchase this phone to use those (and by "those" I mean just the CAM+ module, since that's the only one available). The cameras are almost just as good as the cameras on the S7 edge. The colors seem more natural, but tend to be a little cool. The colors on the S7 edge are more vibrant. I'm happy with the cameras on both devices.

The only con of the G5 is the battery life. I've been getting about 3 hours SOT in the last two days. My S7 edge beat the G5 by giving me 5-5.5 hours SOT each day. I don't have an extra battery so I need to tether myself to a charger. Taking out the battery and replacing it with a full one is kind of an issue because my G5 has a LifeProof case on it. LifeProof cases aren't exactly easy to remove or to put back on.

I'm trying to decide which phone to keep and which phone to sell/return. The things I love about the S7 edge is the beautiful AMOLED display, the huge battery, the IP86 rating (which doesn't really matter since my G5 has a LifeProof case on it), the ultra fast focus on the camera, the emojis are better, and the wireless charging. I may be able to overlook all of those positives in order to keep the G5. I really don't like the size of the S7 edge. I'm small and the phone is huge in my hands and in my pocket. I also don't like that it's all glass. I got some light scratches on it and I kept it in a case the whole time.

Decisions, decisions...

I did the same thing this week. I love the camera on this G5. The s7edge hasn't impressed me with the camera. The battery life is amazing though, on the Edge. Sigh. I really can't decide which one to keep. I love them both.

Posted via the Android Central App

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site

Decisions, decisions...

Retinella you are exactly in the same boat as mine. I have s7 edge since late March. I am really falling for the G5 because of the wide angle lens and smaller size.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Retinella you are exactly in the same boat as mine. I have s7 edge since late March. I am really falling for the G5 because of the wide angle lens and smaller size.

They are virtually the same size, but the G5 feels better.

yomny Martinez

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Same boat here. I have the S7 edge and i love the edge screen but i hate it. Yep you read right, i hate tapping part of the edge screen randomly and touching things i don't mean to. I got the G5 from Best buy a while back and had issues with the battery where the "Network" would use almost 40% of my battery along with another 39% the screen so this would leave me drained by 3pm on a day starting at 8am. Wifi calling wasn't working properly, not sure if related to being a non carrier unlocked unit. I returned it and should be getting a replacement because i think the phone is excellent, the wide angle is great, my particular case the build quality was great and everything about the phone was nice.

I rather like the UI on the G5 more than the laggy(at times) touchwiz on the galaxy. With that said i think the s7 battery life, specially the Edge, has us spoiled. Nothing out there beats that battery life.

I'll see what this replacement offers but i know the G5 and S7 are the two best in my opnion.

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
When I got my G5 it had a promotion for a free battery and separate battery charger case, I figured what the hell and it turns out I really like swapping in a fresh battery when I'm ready to go out at the end of the day instead of planning to make sure I had enough battery life.

For my it's almost like another level of freedom from charging one more device. While agreed the battery life isn't as good as my other phones swapping out quickly and mostly painlessly to a fresh battery is far better than making sure I have enough juice on phones with better battery life in my experience.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
While agreed the battery life isn't as good as my other phones

I was using my S7 edge yesterday alongside the G5, and at 70% battery left, I had a SOT of 1 hour, 5 minutes on the S7 edge. At 70% battery on the G5, I had 59 minutes SOT. I couldn't believe how close they were.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I did the same thing this week. I love the camera on this G5. The s7edge hasn't impressed me with the camera. The battery life is amazing though, on the Edge. Sigh. I really can't decide which one to keep. I love them both.

The S7 edge's camera is great. I love the vibrant colors it produces. Sometimes the colors can run a little cool. The G5's camera takes more natural-looking photos; however, the colors tend to be warm sometimes. But yeah, the wide angle lens on the G5 is amazing. Nothing else beats it. I still can't decide which phone to keep. Thankfully I have 11 more days to decide before I have to return the G5 to Verizon, if I choose not to keep it.

Have you made up your mind yet? I still can't make up my mind. I love both phones.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I rather like the UI on the G5 more than the laggy(at times) touchwiz on the galaxy

I think the UI on the G5 is ugly. I tried downloading the LG Home 4.0 from Android Central's page about it, but SmartWorld always crashes when I try to download it. I also can't find it when I manually search for it.

I never experienced any lag on TouchWiz on my S7 edge. It's the smoothest experience I've ever had with it.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I like the way the G5 feels better

Agreed. Just picked up a Spigen slim case for my G5. Now it reminds me of my Nexus 5, only newer and with a 2K display. It really speaks to the quality of the Nexus 5 I suppose. I compare every device I've had to it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Just picked up a Spigen slim case for my G5. Now it reminds me of my Nexus 5, only newer and with a 2K display. It really speaks to the quality of the Nexus 5 I suppose. I compare every device I've had to it.
I wished I bought a Nexus 5.

That and the G2 were the best phones LG made IMO.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I wished I bought a Nexus 5.

That and the G2 were the best phones LG made IMO.

I'm tell you, the G5 is giving the Nexus 5 a run for its money as my favorite device that I've owned. I'm guessing Qualcomm has just nailed it again after a bad year in 2015 and 820 powered phones are just killing it.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I said this in another thread, still crossing my fingers regarding the boot loop and the G5. I'm having faith that LG wouldn't let this happen again, but with V10's boot looping now? Time will tell.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm tell you, the G5 is giving the Nexus 5 a run for its money as my favorite device that I've owned. I'm guessing Qualcomm has just nailed it again after a bad year in 2015 and 820 powered phones are just killing it.
Hardware-wise, the G5 is pretty much high-end across the board. Qualcomm really made quite a comeback with the 820 after a pretty moot 2015.

I'm just really hoping that the G5 doesn't succumb to #BootloopGate. I'm still in shock over newer G4 units still being affected and V10s that are dying to this.

farhanmohd

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I was using my S7 edge yesterday alongside the G5, and at 70% battery left, I had a SOT of 1 hour, 5 minutes on the S7 edge. At 70% battery on the G5, I had 59 minutes SOT. I couldn't believe how close they were.

The point is did you really get equal usage time on both the phones? i.e. did the G5 really sustained for 59 mins of usage.